Live from the Caribbean Princess, Oct 14 - Nov 5, 22-day Canadian and Atlantic Coast Land and Sea Adventure

Ken the cruiser

First one through the gates.  I hope you will let us know how fast/efficient new electronic processing at Canada immigrations and customs goes in Toronto. 

Specifically, 

Will there be a long line (how long)?

Will there be a fast track for those with ArriveCan (or wheelchairs)?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

First one through the gates.  I hope you will let us know how fast/efficient new electronic processing at Canada immigrations and customs goes in Toronto. 

Specifically, 

Returning to Canada from FLL in Feb, I used ArriveCAN, it made a difference in the Immigration/Customs line.  We only had 2 families in front compared to the regular line.  Of course it all depends on how many planes arrive at the same time for the lines to back up.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Specifically, 

Thanks for the video you posted over on the RC thread. Sounds pretty simple. 

• Like 2

I just submitted my ArriveCan Advance Declaration form to the Canadian authorities, and I have one lesson learn to pass along to those that are unaware of the subsequently generated Expiration Date.

Basically, the approved Advance Declaration expires exactly 72 hours after you submit the form to the Canadian authorities. So allow yourself at least an hour or more before you start the application process, which the earliest time to start would be exactly 72 hours before your flight is scheduled to arrive at the applicable Canadian airport.

In our case our Toronto airport arrival time is 3:15 pm on Oct 14. Wanting to get that pre-cruise box checked, I started the process a few minutes after 3:15 pm today (Oct 11). Unfortunately, to my surprise I wound up with an approved Advanced Declaration with an effective Expiration Date of 3:33 EDT, or 18 minutes after our scheduled airport arrival time. As one might image my stress level started to rise rather quickly. 😱 

ArriveCanexpiration.thumb.jpg.d93107fd40be371a3123e91fd1ff1696.jpg

So here's what I learned. After reviewing the resulting Declaration form in the app, I noticed there was a delete button. I cautiously clicked on it, and poof it was gone!

I then waited a little while longer and successfully resubmitted the application and all is good as my new expiration time is now 4:38 pm. In addition, if we run into issues at the airport and can't check-in at the kiosk by that time, for whatever reason, my stress level won't go through the roof! All I will have to do is resubmit the form again as the approval time is within a few seconds. Or I could follow my DW's lead, and just redo it tomorrow. 😉

Just thought I'd pass this little tidbit along.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am guessing it will expire at local time, not time of submission from afar.  Thanks for being the first to tip your toes in the water.

Correct. The Declaration’s expiration date is associated with the local time zone of the Canadian airport you’ll be arriving at.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I just submitted my ArriveCan Advance Declaration form to the Canadian authorities, and I have one lesson learn to pass along to those that are unaware of the subsequently generated Expiration Date.

Basically, the approved Advance Declaration expires exactly 72 hours after you submit the form to the Canadian authorities. So allow yourself at least an hour or more before you start the application process, which the earliest time to start would be exactly 72 hours before your flight is scheduled to arrive at the applicable Canadian airport.

In our case our Toronto airport arrival time is 3:15 pm on Oct 14. Wanting to get that pre-cruise box checked, I started the process a few minutes after 3:15 pm today (Oct 11). Unfortunately, to my surprise I wound up with an approved Advanced Declaration with an effective Expiration Date of 3:33 EDT, or 18 minutes after our scheduled airport arrival time. As one might image my stress level started to rise rather quickly. 😱 

So here's what I learned. After reviewing the resulting Declaration form in the app, I noticed there was a delete button. I cautiously clicked on it, and poof it was gone!

I then waited a little while longer and successfully resubmitted the application and all is good as my new expiration time is now 4:38 pm. In addition, if we run into issues at the airport and can't check-in at the kiosk by that time, for whatever reason, my stress level won't go through the roof! All I will have to do is resubmit the form again as the approval time is within a few seconds. Or I could follow my DW's lead, and just redo it tomorrow. 😉

Just thought I'd pass this little tidbit along.

FYI.  You still use the kiosk.  It just takes a bit longer as you have to answer the questions.  

• Thanks 1

OK, after a variety of interim changes to my ArriveCan Declaration application, to include some changes suggested by my DW regarding the number of days we'll be in Canada, I have mastered the art of "Delete and Repeat" when it comes to using the App, and I can now check off that to-do box! Now it's on to the next step, packing!! 

It won't be long now as I can hear Freddie off in the distance starting to warm up! 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

FYI.  You still use the kiosk.  It just takes a bit longer as you have to answer the questions.  

Thanks! Hopefully, the kiosk you mentioned isn't the same one referenced in the below "Express Lanes" sentence that was included in the Confirmation e-mail I received. 

Kiosks and eGates are fully accessible in compliance with Canadian standards. Travellers requiring additional support or who are unable to complete their kiosk or eGate session may proceed to a border services officer for in-person processing.

“Express Lanes” for Advance CBSA Declaration users are now available in certain airports. These lanes allow you to skip long lines for primary inspection devices where you will certify your declaration.

At the primary inspection device you will be prompted to scan your travel document and confirm your identity. Once your identity has been confirmed, your advance CBSA Declaration will be retrieved from ArriveCAN for you to certify.

13 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! Hopefully, the kiosk you mentioned isn't the same one referenced in the below "Express Lanes" sentence that was included in the Confirmation e-mail I received. 

Kiosks and eGates are fully accessible in compliance with Canadian standards. Travellers requiring additional support or who are unable to complete their kiosk or eGate session may proceed to a border services officer for in-person processing.

“Express Lanes” for Advance CBSA Declaration users are now available in certain airports. These lanes allow you to skip long lines for primary inspection devices where you will certify your declaration.

At the primary inspection device you will be prompted to scan your travel document and confirm your identity. Once your identity has been confirmed, your advance CBSA Declaration will be retrieved from ArriveCAN for you to certify.

In both Calgary (yesterday) and Quebec (last month) everyone went to the kiosk.  In Quebec, I forgot to do my ArriveCan, and had to answer the questions.  In Calgary I did it, and just had to confirm I had no changed.  Saved about a minute or two.  

• Thanks 1

OK, our bags are almost packed, we just checked into our 7:30 am flight, and the weather forecast is looking pretty good (with no weird weather at least in sight) for a 3:15 pm arrival tomorrow in Toronto by way of Charlotte.

image.thumb.png.a7f8982b1f1f896a55f1b11286a2d6a7.png

So I believe without further to do, it's time for Freddie, as we are definitely starting to get excited!!  🕺💃

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 10

40 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK, our bags are almost packed, we just checked into our 7:30 am flight, and the weather forecast is looking pretty good (with no weird weather at least in sight) for a 3:15 pm arrival tomorrow in Toronto by way of Charlotte.

So I believe without further to do, it's time for Freddie, as we are definitely starting to get excited!!  🕺💃

40 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

perfect setup for a rickrolled - never gonna give you up (Princess)

• Like 2

FWIW I learned how to attach a website link to a picture using the “chain link” ICON between the underlined U and the Smiley Face ICONs when either creating a new post or editing an existing one (within the first 15 minutes of creating it). You can see a result of that effort if you click on the photo in the previous screen. The same website link used to initially generate that photo will be launched in real-time mode. It’s amazing what you can learn when you’re killing time waiting to go on a cruise!  😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The first day of our Canadian and Atlantic coast adventure has finally arrived as we are now sitting in the airport waiting to board our flight to Charlotte and then onto Toronto for our scheduled 3:15 pm arrival. Yay!! 😁 

Safe Travels!  Looking forward to your reports!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

After about an hour delay at our home regional airport waiting for maintenance to show to make a 5 minute repair

IMG_2250.thumb.jpeg.0eede703823d550dfa93930f9c858c7a.jpeg

we were off to Charlotte. But once we got there due to our late start, we had to wait on the tarmac for about 20 more minutes for a gate to open up.

Luckily we had originally booked our flight with a 3 1/2 hour layover which turned into less than 90 minutes before we had to board our flight to Toronto. But all is good as we had enough time for a sit down lunch and about 45 minutes to spare. 😁

• Like 11

We have arrived on time at the Toronto airport, cleared immigration within a couple of minutes, picked up our bags from baggage claim after another 5-10 minutes, then met up with our Princess POC who gave us some initial welcome information and tried to set us up with a ride to the hotel. Apparently there is some serious traffic issues around the hotel and their contracted limousine service is being delayed picking us up because of it. So we’ve been sitting in the airport for over an hour waiting for our ride. 

But on the bright side, we made it here safely with all of our luggage in hand, with smiles on our faces, and with some pretty pictures my DW took from her window seat! 😁

IMG_2268.thumb.jpeg.4ec020c88080cc382ca55a23815ec18c.jpeg

Views as we were approaching Toronto. 

IMG_2283.thumb.jpeg.46871bc83ddfb17ca9238a40f98e29c2.jpeg

IMG_2284.thumb.jpeg.e792adec3619e0a0a19385bbef9626b9.jpeg

IMG_2288.thumb.jpeg.1a37d6e2d5d2e6a96c8b5884c28143e7.jpeg

This is a view of Toronto off in the distance once we landed and were heading towards the gate. 

IMG_2301.thumb.jpeg.111ed1fc0f756c0a01a89693e531d399.jpeg

• Like 9

Day 1 - Afternoon Update. As soon as I hit transmit on the above post, our limousine driver appeared and proceeded to drive us across town to the Fairmont Royal York Hotel. Come to find out there was a massive traffic jam near our hotel which was causing the long delays. It seems the Toronto Maple Leafs Scotiabank Arena is right across the street from the hotel where 20,000+ fans are going to watch them play tonight.

Then once we got inside the hotel, it was packed with folks attending a large and very elaborate wedding along with a bunch of folks checking in. But once we got checked in, we took our bags to our room on 11th floor. This is the daytime view out our window. If you look closely at the “shiny” TELUS building, you’ll see the reflection of our hotel.

IMG_2304.thumb.jpeg.17aae2e98e0df99a3d907aeeb581d08d.jpeg

We then headed down to find our tour guide, James, to check in with him and get the details for meeting up for our all day excursion to the Niagara Falls and more.

IMG_3182.thumb.jpeg.be8ed5518a13277acf28445d547b9036.jpeg

Here’s the letter he gave us. It appears it’s going to be a little chilly and breezy tomorrow, and we might get a little wet on our boat ride! 😂

IMG_2306.thumb.jpeg.7030421bf6c335932a1477c2494318b1.jpeg

BTW tomorrow in downtown Toronto, also near our hotel, is where the TCS Toronto Waterfront Marathon is going to be held, which should also cause quite the congestion both in and around the hotel, as many of the runners and their families are staying at our hotel and will probably be eating in the Imperial Ballroom buffet where we will be tomorrow morning as well! 😂

Afterwards, our next adventure was to get connected to the hotel internet, which required talking with the Hotel Concierge to get signed up, which was no easy task. But hopefully we should be good to go now when we stay in the other Fairmont hotels on our 5-day excursion.

IMG_3183.jpeg.b97e09dcb9dbb33dc375bf55883c08ad.jpeg

Then after a tasty dinner at one of the hotel’s packed restaurants, we headed back to the room to call it a day. As you can see our view of the Toronto skyline changed a little once the sun went down. 😂

IMG_2308.thumb.jpeg.dc5054155bd2981419ba17aa497389f2.jpeg

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, phabric said:

There were a lot of protests rallies in Toronto

Didn’t see any of those, but the Toronto Maple Leafs Arena, which is across the street from our hotel, was causing 20,000+ fans to head downtown for the game tonight from what our driver was telling as well as showing us once we started getting close to the Fairmont.