Anthem of the Seas, GTY on deck 6 - any chance to upgrade?

tizbo1423

When booking our cruise we went with the Guaranteed Balcony option, and now that we've checked in our Set Sail pass is saying Deck 6 but no cabin number. It looks like most of the balconies on deck 6 are obstructed with life boats, and i'm afraid we'll end up in one of those. I know, that's the risk of going GTY. But is there anyway to upgrade our room at this point? From what I can tell about bidding is that it's not a guaranteed? 

3 minutes ago, tizbo1423 said:

When booking our cruise we went with the Guaranteed Balcony option, and now that we've checked in our Set Sail pass is saying Deck 6 but no cabin number. It looks like most of the balconies on deck 6 are obstructed with life boats, and i'm afraid we'll end up in one of those. I know, that's the risk of going GTY. But is there anyway to upgrade our room at this point? From what I can tell about bidding is that it's not a guaranteed? 

First, let’s find out about your cabin, then you will be in a better position to decide what to do next.  

If your set sail pass has a deck number, there is also a cabin number hidden in the bar code.  This cabin has been picked for you even though it is not officially assigned.  On CruiseCritic we call this the “bar code trick.”  
If you have an iPhone, put your set sail pass in your apple wallet.  Then in the wallet, look at the numbers below the barcode.  To the right of the dash (-), you should see numbers…that is almost certainly your future cabin number (theoretically Royal can move gty folks anytime, but functionally that is rare, so expect that cabin).

Android users do the same thing using a barcode reader app rather than apple wallet.

Once you have a cabin number, you can google it and search here on CruiseCritic for info on obstruction.  Come back for advice when you know more and have thought it over a bit.😀

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

First, let’s find out about your cabin, then you will be in a better position to decide what to do next.  

If your set sail pass has a deck number, there is also a cabin number hidden in the bar code.  This cabin has been picked for you even though it is not officially assigned.  On CruiseCritic we call this the “bar code trick.”  
If you have an iPhone, put your set sail pass in your apple wallet.  Then in the wallet, look at the numbers below the barcode.  To the right of the dash (-), you should see numbers…that is almost certainly your future cabin number (theoretically Royal can move gty folks anytime, but functionally that is rare, so expect that cabin).

Android users do the same thing using a barcode reader app rather than apple wallet.

Once you have a cabin number, you can google it and search here on CruiseCritic for info on obstruction.  Come back for advice when you know more and have thought it over a bit.😀

Amazing trick, thank you! Looks like we're in 6578 - obstructed.. 🫠

14 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Is it our turn yet?😇

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tizbo1423 said:

From what I can tell about bidding is that it's not a guaranteed? 

No, but it greatly depends on inventory.

Search any Q class threads or refer to cruisedeckplans to see how obstructed that cabin really is.

Edited by Biker19

Once you've been assigned a cabin category, you are locked into that category. If you are in North America, you can change into any other open cabin in that exact designator. If you want off deck 6, your options are to bid on an  upgrade or pay the full difference between what you paid for your guarantee cabin and what the cabin you want is currently priced at. It's for this reason I never do a balcony gty on the Quantum class.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

Once you've been assigned a cabin category, you are locked into that category. If you are in North America, you can change into any other open cabin in that exact designator. If you want off deck 6, your options are to bid on an  upgrade or pay the full difference between what you paid for your guarantee cabin and what the cabin you want is currently priced at. It's for this reason I never do a balcony gty on the Quantum class.

Thank you! How could I request another room in the same category? Right now we have a lifeboat sitting right in front of our room, but looks like there are some other rooms that are in the same obstructed category but with much less obstruction and no life boat view.

10 minutes ago, tizbo1423 said:

How could I request another room in the same category?

You have to wait until you are officially assigned the cabin (i.e. it shows up on your set sail pass and other documents, not just with the bar code trick). Then, you either ask your TA to move you or, if you booked directly, you call RC and ask to be moved. I've done it numerous times.... even more than once for the same cruise.

Edited by OCSC Mike

There are several staterooms on 13th deck that are considered to be obstructed view due to overhang. .

We booked originally at 6th deck obstructed view (it was cheaper or same price as inside) then we saw that obstructed view cabin became available on 13th deck  and asked agency to move us which they did.

Edited by Tatka

14 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

You have to wait until you are officially assigned the cabin (i.e. it shows up on your set sail pass and other documents, not just with the bar code trick). Then, you either ask your TA to move you or, if you booked directly, you call RC and ask to be moved. I've done it numerous times.... even more than once for the same cruise.

Thank you!! This gives me hope haha

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tatka said:

There are several staterooms on 13th deck that are considered to be obstructed view due to overhang. .

We booked originally at 6th deck obstructed view (it was cheaper or same price as inside) then we saw that obstructed view cabin became available on 13th deck  and asked agency to move us which they did.

Amazing, thank you! How do you check availability, just attempt to book on the website and see what rooms are open or is there a quicker/easier way?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tizbo1423 said:

How do you check availability, just attempt to book on the website and see what rooms are open?

Pretty much that. Sometimes a TA can see more rooms than you can but sounds like you booked direct. You can also ask when you call but chances are the phone rep will list the same cabins you see.

• Like 1

Amazing, thank you! How do you check availability, just attempt to book on the website and see what rooms are open or is there a quicker/easier way?

Yes, my husband is on this mission... we lately have 8-10 cruises booked. )))

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Cabin 6578 Anthem of the Seas

image.thumb.png.b28f28a16718e183cbc05b2db38a1614.png

I’ve seen worse obstruction than the one shown in that picture, so remember it could have been worse.

We can’t guess when Royal will make that cabin assignment official.  It might happen soon (in which case you’d have a chance to ask to switch to a less obstructed cabin).  Or they could wait a while, and by then there might not be any remaining cabins you like better in your exact category (for example, I’m still in barcode status for my Oct 28 cruise; there are no remaining cabins in my category).

If you have the option to bid on an unobstructed balcony via RoyalUp, you may want to consider doing so.  Now that you know your cabin, you can use that knowledge to formulate your bid.  As you said in your first post, bids are not a sure thing, but they are another shot at a different cabin.

• 1 month later...