Drinks Service with Package

ScotBrit17

I am going on Iona soon and am thinking of getting the new Deluxe package as it allows 50ml measures. My question is what is the difference in service and requirements with and without a package. Do you need to sign anything if you don't have the package or just hand over your cabin card, is there any difference in waiter service with or without package.

I am aware most lines are having staffing issues and one of my real pains is waiting ages for a drink so just looking to see if having a package helps in any way.

The main problem we found is that you can only order your own drink. So if one of us was in the toilet or still getting ready the other couldn’t order a drink for the two of us. Seems silly as both adults in the cabin have to take the package and is more time consuming when ordering on two cards for one round, although that’s probably to stop those who would abuse it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dobbers said:

The main problem we found is that you can only order your own drink. So if one of us was in the toilet or still getting ready the other couldn’t order a drink for the two of us. Seems silly as both adults in the cabin have to take the package and is more time consuming when ordering on two cards for one round, although that’s probably to stop those who would abuse it.

We were on azura recently and saw one person on the drinks package order multiple drinks by handing over the cards for the others … 

Edited by janieb1962
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, janieb1962 said:

We were on azura recently and saw one person on the drinks package order multiple drinks by handing over the cards for the others … 

We must have got a grumpy server the first time we tried so didn’t bother again 🤣

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 8:24 PM, Clodia said:

Just bought the deluxe package today for Iona on November 11th. Will report on it after or during cruise. 

Hope you are enjoying your cruise. We are trying to decide between the classic and deluxe packages so I look forward to hearing your experience.  Not bothered about the 15 drink limit but would prefer to have a large glass of wine at dinner as it takes so long to get a drink with no wine waiter now. 

27 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Hope you are enjoying your cruise. We are trying to decide between the classic and deluxe packages so I look forward to hearing your experience.  Not bothered about the 15 drink limit but would prefer to have a large glass of wine at dinner as it takes so long to get a drink with no wine waiter now. 

I have found it is now faster to get drinks ordered, your waiter takes the order,  and it is prepared by another waiter, the brought to your table by your table waiter, it was much slicker than waiting for the wine waiter to eventually to take your order.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I have found it is now faster to get drinks ordered, your waiter takes the order,  and it is prepared by another waiter, the brought to your table by your table waiter, it was much slicker than waiting for the wine waiter to eventually to take your order.

Yes but if you want a second drink in MDR that is where it becomes difficult.

I’m thinking about just going for the package after doing some calculations based on our recent cruise where we had a shed load of OBC. This time we don’t so even working on the minimum we would drink, and we are not big drinkers, we would gain a few £s with the classic package given our discount we would be paying £37.41 each per day. It’s not difficult to spend that much if you add in coffees and soft drinks. 

I think that's why the package doesn't work for us.  We don't do soft drinks or coffees.  Just drinks in the bar and bottle of wine with dinner.  Package would be double or even more.  Having seen the price of soft drinks, I can see why it would work for some.

Edited by jeanlyon

I really like that you have the choice Jean. Our last cruises with Celebrity were “all included” and the drinks, tips and Wi-Fi were not negotiable (that’s changed now) so many people objected to paying for alcohol when they were tee total, didn’t use the Wi-Fi and still tipped. It caused such a furore that Celebrity gave in and now offer a basic cruise with no extras. This is in effect what P&O do. We have never paid for a drinks package on P&O, always had plenty of OBC and simply paid for drinks when that ran out. This time we’ll bite the bullet and buy the package and see how it goes. 

• Like 1

Yes, my guess is you have worked it out.  On our 19 night recent cruise on Aurora, our bill was £460.  We don't do ship excursions and I think I had one coffee.   The package would have cost double or more.  The nice thing on Aurora is that in the MDR they will hold your wine until the next night if you have any left over.  Not on Freedom though.

• Like 1

I am thinking of going without the alcoholic package and charging drinks to my onboard account on my upcoming P&O cruise. For my last several cruises which were on Celebrity I had the package so nothing to think about. Prior to that when ordering without a package there was a little chitty to sign for every purchase, so easy to keep a check on it.

How is it dealt with on P&O without a package? Is it just a swipe of the card? Is the onboard account itemised with all drinks purchased, and a note of the venue? Is it easy enough to order varying priced drinks for 2 or 3 people and handing over their cards?

Thanks for any input. 

6 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I am thinking of going without the alcoholic package and charging drinks to my onboard account on my upcoming P&O cruise. For my last several cruises which were on Celebrity I had the package so nothing to think about. Prior to that when ordering without a package there was a little chitty to sign for every purchase, so easy to keep a check on it.

How is it dealt with on P&O without a package? Is it just a swipe of the card? Is the onboard account itemised with all drinks purchased, and a note of the venue? Is it easy enough to order varying priced drinks for 2 or 3 people and handing over their cards?

Thanks for any input. 

Yes you hand over your card, nothing to sign.  We could see each days spend on the My Holiday app including the venue.  Just to add that sometimes it didn't appear until late or the following day.  I guess when they upload it from their tablets.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Yes but if you want a second drink in MDR that is where it becomes difficult.

That was always the case, and attracting the attention of a sleepy wine waiter could take forever, but your table waiters are reasonably frequent visitors, so you caneasily order another drink.

We always buy the DP.

I may have a couple of V&T before dinner,,x2 glasses of wine with dinner and a few more drinks during the night,,,without coffee or soft drinks I’m quids in.

My wife easily makes it pay,,,she likes Prosecco,,,,,x6 tiny 125ml glasses a day @£6.50 a glass it’s easy.

You certainly make a good case for the DP. I also like Prosecco, but I like Aperol Spritz even more and that’s only available on the DP. I’m not paying for a package and then paying again to have my preferred drink. Even with the 20% discount, 2 a day would be around £180. 

I'm on Iona at the moment using the Deluxe package and finding it better value than the Classic one because it's about quality rather than quantity. You can have premium spirits and mixers, a large glass of my favourite more expensive wine which often means I don't  need another, and I'm getting good value with coffee,  water. winrs and spirits.  If I were a beer drinker,  not so good. The premium cocktails are also nicer. Just enjoyed one on my balcony in Tenerife!

• Like 2

On Arvia just now and have the deluxe package. IMO totally worth it for us. Deluxe package you have doubles. Have to say no doubles if on the spirits.

A Single will do. We are getting our moneys worth and there is absolutely no way will we hit the 15 drinks limit what so ever each day. We are not hammering through it at all. Been a mixture of cocktails, mock tails. Wines. Spirits, Coffee, Teas. Bottled water. Bottled or cans soft drinks. 

In glass house last night for dinner and had two lovely white wines each. Which I think were over £15 or £16 a glass and they were lovely followed by a dessert wine. 

All the bars have different menus and the same applies for the  cocktails so what you like in one bar you may not be able to get in another bar at all. 

That is all the fun for us to see what is available. 

Only gripe I have and it is a little gripe is the cruise card the ink keeps coming off. Onto 3rd card now. And still got another 9 days left. 

Edited by Barbadossunshine
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time we have purchased a drinks package for our NYE cruise. We usually have more than enough OBC to cover drinks but not this time. We have bought the de luxe package online taking advantage of the 10% discount plus our 7.5% loyalty discount. I would like to know if there is a wine menu for wine by the glass or if it is just the regular wine list. We’ve never bought a glass of wine onboard as usually have a bottle at dinner. I can’t remember seeing wine that cost £15 or £16 a glass but look forward to trying it. 

On 11/16/2023 at 9:12 AM, JeanieC,Aston said:

We always buy the DP.

I may have a couple of V&T before dinner,,x2 glasses of wine with dinner and a few more drinks during the night,,,without coffee or soft drinks I’m quids in.

My wife easily makes it pay,,,she likes Prosecco,,,,,x6 tiny 125ml glasses a day @£6.50 a glass it’s easy.

The one thing about prosecco on P and O is the measure in the glass if your on a drinks package or not , my good lady drinks the aforementioned and has said its a half full glass ,on all our other cruises with different companies the glass is always full ,package or not 

We had the deluxe package on our recent Aurora cruise. I agree with the more recent comments here. Our favourite wine is around £15 for a large 250ml glass, but there are many that are cheaper and a few a little more expensive I think. Three glasses throughout the day covers the cost so any others, whether alcoholic or not (including coffee), increase the value. For beer drinkers (about £5 a pint) or those happy with poorer quality wines or spirits, it may not be such good value. The package is personal preference of those in the cabin. For some it is well worth it, for others it is not. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

The one thing about prosecco on P and O is the measure in the glass if your on a drinks package or not , my good lady drinks the aforementioned and has said its a half full glass ,on all our other cruises with different companies the glass is always full ,package or not 

I agree.

My last x2 cruises this year was on Celebrity Silhouette and Marella Voyager,,,the glasses of Prosecco were doubles compared to P&O 125ml….same with spirits.