Elite free wine tasting

We've done the Elite wine tasting once. Will get 2 tastings on our upcoming b2b.  We thought it was a rather fun diversion on a sea day. We're trying to remember how many wines we tasted. I think there were 6 wines, but not sure. Anyone who has recently done this, do you remember the number of wines sampled? Thank you. 😊

Edited by 1965

5 or 6 on our last cruise - the only time we have done it.  they were all screw-cap wines.  I asked the wine dude about that, and he stated that they are 'newer' wines, not vintage.  no problem for me/us.

it was a nice time

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They have been reducing this benefit.  

Might have a bubbly/might have a dessert wine...both not both.

2 reds/2 whites.

I stopped going pre-pandemic when they had a community cheese plate.  Then they had 2 to share.  As a solo, neither was acceptable.  

Gone are the souvenir glasses.  Usually held on the last sea day/formal day.  Too much talking.  Takes up several hours.  And I don't drink red wines (so others on the table benefit).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the Crown right now.  Went to the wine tasting just a couple days ago.

First was a bubbly from Chateau St. Michelle, then a Chardonnay from Decoy, a Pinot (red) and then one other red (a cab), and a desert wine.

At least they didn't have Kim Crawford wine this time like we did on a cruise last year. 

The cheese and fruit plate was shared by 2 people .  We were seated at a table for 8, so 4 plates.

Wine was alright.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Last 3 cruises (April, May, June 2023) there were 6 wines. 1 sparkling, 2 white, 2 red, finished with a dessert wine. For reference these cruises were on Royal & Emerald Princesses. I think the earlier (2023) cruises had the same options. FWIW I hated the 2nd red but it was on both Royal & Emerald. There's also individual plates of cheese, dried fruit, very VERY few nuts, and a bottle of water (that I swished to dilute the red wine taste)

@donswife yes it was on the 5 day & 2× on the 16 day (only 1× on the 16 day included as a perk)

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Last 3 cruises (April, May, June 2023) there were 6 wines. 1 sparkling, 2 white, 2 red, finished with a dessert wine.

There's also individual plates of cheese, dried fruit, very VERY few nuts, and a bottle of water

We had the same on the Caribbean in August

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruise Puss said:

Is this only an Elite perk or do Platinums get an invite too?

Its $10 for non-elites. There's another one with better wines where everyone pays $25

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The wines and single-bite “pairings” aren’t really worth the time and effort if you have to pay for the tasting and the staff works from a script that they may or may not get right each time. If Princess wanted to be serious about the tastings, they would have a tight, progressive tasting with quality wines and wineries represented (bonus points for the regions you are sailing, in some cases), and, if they want to squeeze a buck, have the ability to direct ship wines you like from the wineries to your home (where legal). The Vines tasting (save for the blending one) were always great but the dining room tastings aren’t great, sadly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2023 at 6:14 PM, voljeep said:

5 or 6 on our last cruise - the only time we have done it.  they were all screw-cap wines.  I asked the wine dude about that, and he stated that they are 'newer' wines, not vintage.  no problem for me/us.

it was a nice time

Although lots of plonk these days is bottled with screw top, there are lots of quality wines bottled that way.  It can be a regional thing such as Australia which has embraced the usage big time.  In Princess' case, they may be offering the lesser wines when admission is $10 or free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Although lots of plonk these days is bottled with screw top, there are lots of quality wines bottled that way.  It can be a regional thing such as Australia which has embraced the usage big time.  In Princess' case, they may be offering the lesser wines when admission is $10 or free.

one of the wines was a chard that was available thru Ocean now with the PLUS package