Our Carnival Venezia B2B - 21 days of "Fun Italian Style" (with pics) - 9/23/23

Jamman54

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Jamman54 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Ahoy, Cruise Critic family! My wife Patti and I have just returned from three weeks aboard the beautiful Carnival Venezia, from our homeport of New York City. These were B2B cruises, the first being a 6 day New England and Canada cruise to Portland, Saint John, and Halifax. The second cruise was a fifteen day Journeys cruise to Grand Turk, Aruba, Curacao, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas, along with seven sea days.

There is quite a story on how we got to these cruises. We were originally booked on the Carnival Magic out of New York for B2B cruises, the first being an eight day cruise to the Caribbean, followed by a seven day cruise to Canada. We booked these cruises nearly two years out in order to get our favorite bowling alley balcony for both legs of the B2B.

Then Carnival made the announcement that they were moving the Magic from New York to Norfolk, and replacing her with the Carnival Venezia. We were both excited and disappointed at the same time. Now, we have been involved with ship changes several times, and each time Carnival transferred already booked passengers to similar accommodations on the new ship BEFORE opening bookings to new passengers. This time, Carnival opened up new bookings before taking care of existing passengers, which had to cause a public relations nightmare for them. The cruise boards were flooded with complaints from existing passengers on how Carnival didn’t give them similar accommodations. There were many upset people.

It took Carnival over three weeks to finally give us our new cabin assignments. Even our valued PVP couldn’t help us on this one. We were extremely unhappy. As I mentioned, we had been booked in a bowling alley balcony for both legs of our B2B. On the Venezia, it is a Terrazza Premium balcony, and it is more money. Carnival never had the courtesy to give us a call and at least offer it to us. It was sold out from under us almost immediately. We were assigned a different regular balcony cabin on each leg of the B2B. They weren’t even on the same decks, and both were connecting cabins! It was apparent that we were given the leftovers after three weeks of them taking new bookings.

At this point we were going to cancel and look at NCL or Royal Caribbean for this fall’s cruises out of New York, but then we spotted the Venezia’s fifteen day Journeys cruise. We found a regular balcony cabin we liked, so we called our PVP to book it. He also went to bat for us and got our non-refundable deposits from the Magic cruises transferred to the Journeys cruise without penalty. It turns out that this fifteen day Journeys cruise was about a thousand dollars less than the cost of the fifteen day B2B that we had booked on the Magic, so now we were feeling a little better.

The fifteen day Journeys cruise departed on a Friday and returned on a Saturday. We know how stressful it is getting into New York City on a weekday is, and should be avoided if possible. We saw that the six day cruise before the Journeys cruise departed on a Saturday so we booked it for a B2B. Now, we will depart and return on a Saturday, avoiding the weekday morning rush hours, and we get to go back to New England and Canada, which we both love. That’s a definite win-win! We weren’t able to book the same balcony cabin as we had on the Journeys cruise, so we booked an inside cabin around the corner, which will make for an easy move on turnaround day. So that’s how we wound up on the Carnival Venezia for twenty one days!

This is going to be a very long review. Being that this was a new ship for us, we were going to cover it like a glove, with lots of detail. Patti took over six thousand pictures during our time aboard her. I brought along my laptop so that I could download her pictures daily, and crop and resize them as needed. But even so, I couldn’t keep up with the amount of pictures she was taking. As I am writing this, I have completed all of pictures of the first cruise, and the first five days of the second cruise, more than enough to get this party started. I will continue to work on them daily until I am finished. For those that are wondering, our go to camera is the Canon PowerShot XS740 HS, and our water, and back-up camera, is the Fuji FinePix XP60.

Before we get started, let’s talk about the Carnival Venezia. Although she was built for Costa, she is a Vista Class ship. If you have been on the Vista, Horizon, or Panorama, you will know your way around. The major difference is the mid ship pool area on Lido Deck 10. It is boxed in just like the Splendor’s is, and has a retractable sliding glass dome. All the way aft on Promenade Deck 5 on the other Vista Class ships is the Havana Area and cabins. On the Venezia, this area is called the Terrazza Carnevale. The major difference is that there is no pool, and it is open to all passengers after 7pm.

As far as the bars and restaurants go on this ship, many have the names you are familiar with, and many are under different names. As the review goes on, I will point out the ones you may not be familiar with, and correlate them to the establishments you do know.

Okay, I think we’re ready to get started. Well almost. Two days before the cruise we get an email and a text from Carnival saying that because of Tropical Depression -16, which would later become Tropical Storm Ophelia, we are NOT to come to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal until a final decision on the cruise is made. Oh-oh!

The next day we get another email and text from Carnival saying that our cruise is on, and to report to the Terminal at our regular appointment times. Apparently, the storm was moving northward slow enough that we can board and get out of dodge before the storm hits late Saturday into Sunday. Yay, we’re going cruising!!!

To be continued…..

• Like 48
  • Thanks 1

Day # 1   9/23/23  -  Embarkation Day!!

It’s cruising day! We are up early to finish packing and load up the car for our ride into our homeport city of New York. The outer bands of Tropical Storm Ophelia have reached us and it is beginning to rain. Normally, we would park at the pier. Last year the cost was $42 / day, with a $400 cap, which would have been a bargain for parking for 21 days. This year, they raised the price to $45, with no cap, so it would cost us $945 to park. Not happening! Our son Ryan would be dropping us off and picking us up. Our plan is to leave at 8:30am for our sixty minute drive into the city. Ryan takes our standard departure picture…….

IMG_5230-XL.jpg

Ryan is our chauffeur for today…..

IMG_5228-XL.jpg

It’s not long before we are heading through the Lincoln tunnel into the city…..

IMG_5231-M.jpg

We arrived at Pier 88 at 9:40am, where the Carnival Venezia was waiting for us…..

IMG_5235-XL.jpg

IMG_5232-XL.jpg

Bye Ryan! See you in three weeks!......

IMG_5234-XL.jpg

We enter the Manhattan Cruise Terminal……

IMG_5236-XL.jpg

IMG_5237-XL.jpg

Going through security and checking in was a breeze. We were seated in the Priority Area by 9:55am. Here is the embarkation photo backdrop, but the photographers haven’t arrived yet…..

IMG_5238-XL.jpg

To be continued……

• Like 33

Boarding began a little after 10:30am. They called for Diamonds, Platinums, and Suites first. Here we are boarding the Carnival Venezia, our home for the next twenty one days…..

IMG_5241-XL.jpg

IMG_5242-XL.jpg

IMG_5244-XL.jpg

IMG_5245-XL.jpg

We board onto Deck 3 and enter the Atrium, which on the Venezia is called Piazza San Marco…..

IMG_5260-XL.jpg

IMG_5257-XL.jpg

Our first stop is the bar for our first drinks…..

IMG_5246-X3.jpg

IMG_5255-X2.jpg

IMG_5249-XL.jpg

DJ Six is spinning the tunes in the Piazza San Marco…..

IMG_5248-XL.jpg

Now that we’re aboard, here are today’s Fun Times…..

IMG_5250-XL.jpg

IMG_5251-XL.jpg

IMG_5252-XL.jpg

To be continued……

• Like 25

11 minutes ago, Playhouse05 said:

I’ve been waiting for this Jeff, can’t wait and thank you!

First to the party. Welcome aboard! :classic_cool:

8 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

Perfect timing! I'm going on the Venezia in a couple weeks. Love your reviews and can't wait to see what y'all have to say about the Venezia. 

Don't know how much I'll have done before you go, but I'm positive you'll have a great time! :classic_cool:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

Yay!!! I’ve been keeping an eye out for this. 😁

Always glad to have you along for the ride! 😃

21 minutes ago, AKR2011 said:

Hooray for another Jeff and Patti review! I am so looking forward to this one. Where is your usual Cruise Critic embarkation shirt? 😳

Thanks for jumping on board once again! The CC shirt had to be retired. 😀

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, beanies098 said:

I came here just to check if you had started your review yet! Thrilled to read it as I’ll be on Venezia at the end of November. 

Glad to have you aboard! Take notes! 😀

17 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Knew this was coming and have been eagerly waiting to read your comments and see Patti's pictures. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Wish we could have met on board. Let me know if you show up in any of Patti's pictures. 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DebOinKC said:

Glad you started your review. Reading this should make my next 11 days go by much faster. (11 days till we board the Horizon)

Thanks for reading! Enjoy your cruise on the Horizon! 😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, princess76021 said:

Ahoy! 

Not late this time!!

Going to get my foofoo drink, my hat and my flip flops

Sit back and enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks for inviting us along

Hugs from you know where!!!

Always a pleasure to have you along. It wouldn't be the same without you! 😀

6 hours ago, cruises42 said:

Looking forward to this review!

Thanks for reading. Glad to have you aboard with us! 😎

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ramref said:

Hi Jeff,

It looks like you have been busy over the last couple of days.

It was great meeting you and Patti and look forward to you review.

Hey Rich! It was a pleasure to meet and hang out with you guys on the Venezia. Please feel free to post your insights, experiences, and observations as the review progresses. Did you book the Spirit Hawaii cruise yet? 😀

6 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

You must be my Spirit Animal.  I just booked this ship for a B2B in 2025.  Here's hoping I made a good choice!!!

I think you made a great choice! We are booked for a B2B on the Venezia again next year. 😎

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Hey Rich! It was a pleasure to meet and hang out with you guys on the Venezia. Please feel free to post your insights, experiences, and observations as the review progresses. Did you book the Spirit Hawaii cruise yet? 😀

I think you made a great choice! We are booked for a B2B on the Venezia again next year. 😎

3 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

I called the diamond desk yesterday and i have to wait for

the last cruise to post to be diamond in their system.       

• Like 1