Coffee Cream not Milk on QM2

CapeCodCruiser

19 minutes ago, CapeCodCruiser said:

Kind of a silly question I know but I love my cream!  I could not find coffee cream in England and was wondering if QM2 will have cream or just milk?

What is coffee cream ? In England we have Single Cream which is ideal for coffee. I have not seen cream on QM2 but I only travel in Britannia. Don’t think I have been offered cream with desserts either only with scones. Hopefully others may be able to help.

I  am not surprised they didn’t understand you as it’s not a term we would use here. Perhaps if you had just asked for cream ? As I said I have not personally seen  cream available for coffee on QM2 but it might be available if you ask. I am sure you would get it on request in Grills restaurants / lounges. 

• Like 1

Hello,

I think whoever posted on Google is wrong. Single cream is cream.

What we used to have, many years ago before coffee shops became what they are now, cups of filter coffee were served with a jigger pot of 'Half Cream'. Though the old style coffee shops have been replaced by espresso machines, the pots of half cream can sometimes be found in hotels on the bedrooms' coffee/tea table. Aside from that, the age of the person answering the query will have a lot to do with the response you received.

image.jpeg.59c503fdec778cb6390827d0bef91faa.jpeg

Regards,

Cublet

13 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I think whoever posted on Google is wrong. Single cream is cream.

What we used to have, many years ago before coffee shops became what they are now, cups of filter coffee were served with a jigger pot of 'Half Cream'. Though the old style coffee shops have been replaced by espresso machines, the pots of half cream can sometimes be found in hotels on the bedrooms' coffee/tea table. Aside from that, the age of the person answering the query will have a lot to do with the response you received.

image.jpeg.59c503fdec778cb6390827d0bef91faa.jpeg

Regards,

Cublet

I am in my 60’s so not sure how it’s relevant or am I too young to remember?  I can remember cream often being an option served is small jugs but I have never heard it called half cream.Given how thin single cream is I would imagine half cream is not much thicker than full cream milk ? I don’t stay in hotels often and hadn’t noticed  what was on the little pots if I ever saw them. 

• Like 1

So many different terms but Single Cream, Light Cream, and Half and Half are all names for cream with appx 20% fat.  Heavy Cream or Double Cream like that for whipping is 38% fat.  I did ask for both cream or cream for coffee.  I have been able to buy the UHT creamer singles everywhere but in UK.  Just trying to figure out if I need to stock up before heading to UK

• Like 1

Not on the QM2 bit maybe an indication. On the Queen Victoria I asked for cream instead of Milka for my coffee in the morning and got it in the Britannia restaurant.

In the lido there used to be cream available at the coffe stations until last year at least, too, but unfortunately it is not available anymore.

16 minutes ago, CapeCodCruiser said:

So many different terms but Single Cream, Light Cream, and Half and Half are all names for cream with appx 20% fat.  Heavy Cream or Double Cream like that for whipping is 38% fat.  I did ask for both cream or cream for coffee.  I have been able to buy the UHT creamer singles everywhere but in UK.  Just trying to figure out if I need to stock up before heading to UK

I would be tempted to bring your own as I am not sure if you will be able to buy exactly what you want in UK . I think you would have to try lots of different supermarkets / pound shops just on the off chance. You can buy mild pods but I don’t think they are very nice and quite cheap. I would stick to what you know and like. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CapeCodCruiser said:

Just to be precise, in the UK, double cream and whipping cream are different. The former has a higher fat content. I have never failed to obtain cream to go with my coffee by simply asking if I can have cream. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I would be tempted to bring your own as I am not sure if you will be able to buy exactly what you want in UK . I think you would have to try lots of different supermarkets / pound shops just on the off chance. You can buy mild pods but I don’t think they are very nice and quite cheap. I would stick to what you know and like. 

Or embrace the joy of travel and have something slightly different.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

So it is. Haven’t had one in years.

I bought some iced coffee biscuits last year in Rotterdam from Heema. Hadn’t had them in years. Now trying to rack my brains to think what they were called and what was the brand ? Think they were rectangular with crispy biscuit base ? 

2 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I bought some iced coffee biscuits last year in Rotterdam from Heema. Hadn’t had them in years. Now trying to rack my brains to think what they were called and what was the brand ? Think they were rectangular with crispy biscuit base ? 

Yes,  those are the ones.

They had a pot of cream next to the coffee dispensers in the Lido (buffet) on Queen Elizabeth last week, and it poured and tasted like single cream/cream for coffee. Room service provided a jug of milk on request (daily), so perhaps you could ask for a jug of cream in your stateroom?

If you’re spending more time in the UK again, you can buy UHT cream in large tetrapaks in UK supermarkets, but the individual portion packs are likely only available at catering suppliers. If you’re desperate, you could look up if there’s a Costco nearby, otherwise order a load on Amazon to be delivered to a convenient Amazon locker collection point?

For whatever reason, I have found that cream by any name is extremely difficult if not impossible to come by on Cunard as well as HAL, Celebrity, and Princess.

MDR’s and buffets seem to only offer regular or skim milk.

I’ve always thought it was an odd quirk of cruising.