From Quebec to Miami (Oct. 20 - Nov. 3) join our voyage

artbcpa

We’re in Portland, ME today. The Captain sent a letter about the mass shooter that’s still on the run, increased security measures at the port (we didn’t notice any), increased police presence in town (we didn’t see any) and suggested that everyone is extra cautious. Well done, Explora. 

The town is gorgeous, the sky is blue and the lobster rolls to die for. Life is good! 

Last night we had pre-dinner cocktails at our private bar, the Astern Lounge. It seats about 150 people yet every evening we are the only guests there. I feel bad for the guitar player who is giving us private concerts nightly 🤣 but… we are loving it! 

Dinner was at the Emporium Marketplace. As we hardly ever have lunch, this was our first visit. The venue is absolutely beautiful and I like the fact that the food is behind glass and being served to you. At regular buffets, too often I see people sampling food, sticking their fingers in their mouth and then handling utenzils, or sneezing all over the place. This setup is much more hygienic.

Dinner at Emporium Marketplace however is not for us. Please note the “not for us”. I totally appreciate that many will love it, so please respect our opinion as well. At dinner, we just want to sit down, order and relax. We really enjoy table service. Emporium Marketplace is the precise opposite. For every course, you need to get up, go to a station, and place your order. You then have to wait for your order to be finished (5+ minutes at the pasta station and even longer at the grill) and carry your plate back to your table. Ironically, when you’re walking back, waiters approach you to ask if they can carry your plate. After standing for 5+ minutes, I think I can handle the final 5 seconds as well, thank you 🤣 There was only one Chef cooking pasta and each dish takes 5+ minutes. My partner’s pasta was cooked first, so by the time I got back to the table with my plate, he was already nearly finished. Not the dinner experience I’m looking for. I also don’t see how this concept is going to work on a full ship; the queues would be horrendous. We ran into the GM over coffee and he said that Explora is “very aware” of the problem, and is already looking at changes, including handing out buzzers. I couldn’t help myself and replied that buzzers would make me feel like dining at a Sizzler’s. Hopefully they come up with a better solution. 

As for the food itself, the quality was outstanding and our pasta delicious. It’s mostly all western though (with a few exceptions). No butter chicken, no curries, no spicy Asian food. They do serve sushi and a stir fry of the day. 

Another thing lacking is an ice cream station. All they have is one flavor of soft serve. 

Lastly, the pizza. I get the fact that it’s fancy pancy real Italian pizza, but serving only margherita and tonno pizza just doesn’t cut it. As Hank already wrote a few weeks ago, both the Chef and the Maitre D were totally unwilling to even consider a bespoke pizza, or just adding some salami (readily available at the sandwich station next door) to a margherita. “We don’t do bespoke.” During 400+ days on Seabourn, I don’t think I ever heard “no” to such a basic request. And good luck to them when the ship hits the Caribbean and mostly American guests are going to ask for meat lovers, hawaiian and more. 

Marble & Co tonight - our favorite. Can’t wait!

IMG_3223.thumb.jpeg.c98c88823a12ae425d65048f4a8a4e6e.jpeg

IMG_3220.thumb.jpeg.bff36f37113f72182bcf7692cb42c31b.jpeg

IMG_3228.thumb.jpeg.2b0b63fa9f4d779f1d9ab0c03fe7849a.jpeg
(the sun was in the wrong spot)

Edited by florisdekort
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, kidless said:

All the influencers and TA’s got the nice upgrades. Paying guests will be treated like second class passengers. Watch how they will fall all over the “influencers” It’s a real turn off of the Mediterranean Shipping Company. 

I hope not since I’m a paying customer 

Thanks @florisdekort  You’ve confirmed my fears about Emporium at night. When I queried the experience elsewhere I was firmly put in my place - as you say some will love it but not eating “together” is an absolute no no. 

Certainly not for us either!  We’re past the time of standing around waiting for dinner. But absolutely no problem plenty other options each night. 
Hopefully the pizza menu is dealt with soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonno pizza or Margherita is the only choices? That definitely won't fly with the Americans. The buffet doesn't sound like place we will venture for dinner. Definitely not the experience we want. At least at a regular buffet (not our thing either) you can sit and eat at same time. 

Thanks for your review Florisdekot and photographs. Astern lounge sounds like my spot. How many are on board your sailing. 

9 minutes ago, kidless said:

Tonno pizza or Margherita is the only choices? That definitely won't fly with the Americans. The buffet doesn't sound like place we will venture for dinner. Definitely not the experience we want. At least at a regular buffet (not our thing either) you can sit and eat at same time. 

Thanks for your review Florisdekot and photographs. Astern lounge sounds like my spot. How many are on board your sailing. 

Those were the only choices at dinner last night. I understand there’s more choice at lunch. 

There’s only 220 on this cruise. We’ve been told the 3 November cruise is 450 (out of 900 at double occupancy). 

• Like 3

On 10/22/2023 at 9:18 PM, kidless said:

IMG_4597.jpeg

Just following up on this. That’s the official list but it seems you can ask for anything that’s on the included list; they try really hard to accommodate. We asked for a bottle of Moet Rose and it promptly appeared. Moreover, every time it’s empty, it seems to automatically refill itself 🤔🤣

• Like 5

3 hours ago, florisdekort said:

We ran into the GM over coffee and he said that Explora is “very aware” of the problem, and is already looking at changes, including handing out buzzers. I couldn’t help myself and replied that buzzers would make me feel like dining at a Sizzler’s. Hopefully they come up with a better solution. 

All of which reinforces my contention.....everyone was focused on how can we make the ship attractive and different than other vessels.  NO ONE was actually focused on "how well will this work?"

And in so many areas, it doesn't.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Critically Cruising said:

And in so many areas, it doesn't.

For the record, since you are quoting me, I don’t agree.

I doubt Emporium Marketplace will work when the ship is full (2 stations specifically, the pasta station and the grill) and I worry about the capacity of the Journeys Lounge. It was good to hear though that Management shares those concerns and is thinking about possible solutions.

Apart from that, Explora 1 is - in our opinion - an absolute winner. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Dinner at Emporium Marketplace however is not for us. Please note the “not for us”. I totally appreciate that many will love it, so please respect our opinion as well. At dinner, we just want to sit down, order and relax. We really enjoy table service. Emporium Marketplace is the precise opposite. For every course, you need to get up, go to a station, and place your order. You then have to wait for your order to be finished (5+ minutes at the pasta station and even longer at the grill) and carry your plate back to your table. Ironically, when you’re walking back, waiters approach you to ask if they can carry your plate. After standing for 5+ minutes, I think I can handle the final 5 seconds as well, thank you 🤣 There was only one Chef cooking pasta and each dish takes 5+ minutes. My partner’s pasta was cooked first, so by the time I got back to the table with my plate, he was already nearly finished. Not the dinner experience I’m looking for. I also don’t see how this concept is going to work on a full ship; the queues would be horrendous. We ran into the GM over coffee and he said that Explora is “very aware” of the problem, and is already looking at changes, including handing out buzzers. I couldn’t help myself and replied that buzzers would make me feel like dining at a Sizzler’s. Hopefully they come up with a better solution. 

Agree with your analysis / impression completely. Hopefully Explora figures out ways to make the experience better. 

The food is great. The staff is wonderful. The standing around like a doofus waiting for your meal is not. As you note, it’s an issue even when the ship is empty. I am not certain how certain stations will not be jammed when a full passenger compliment is onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its funny about the pizza & ice cream - on MSC the pizza on Mera  was great & available all the time - Italians prefer the margherita & as far as ice cream - MSC had a gelato stand in the indoor promenade that had the best gelato in many flavors .. I had that for desert every nite.... but I was usually the only one there because there was a charge for it - I hope Explora has the gelato onboard.

Like the OP I don't care for buffets but again on MSC Mera I would visit the buffet around 4pm for some guac & chips and a glass of wine to hold me til a late dinner.

As far as design the Italians have it right - -do I see a hint of Gio Ponte & The Home Lines Oceanic???

LOVE,LOVE, LOVE  IT!!!

I applaud the Euro influence onboard and hope it continues & I look forward to my first Explora cruise.

• Thanks 1

Marble & Co continues to deliver. Last night I finally gave in and ordered the 800 gram USDA Prime Porterhouse. Wow. The creamed spinach is outstanding as well. And the fresh lobster brioche… better than we’ve had on shore 🫣

IMG_3233.thumb.jpeg.478ee36edf92eca905cefa1778f85642.jpeg

IMG_3236.thumb.jpeg.0d2cbfbf767eae57e4270be616757718.jpeg

IMG_3238.thumb.jpeg.a97c8c35653a67fe19b233ae7223d797.jpeg

IMG_3078.thumb.jpeg.1ad6379c58587e66de6a0c0fe9ba67f4.jpeg

IMG_3240.thumb.jpeg.16e77567db898131ac57dd6185b9fffb.jpeg

IMG_3241.thumb.jpeg.043b19ffa70f0543fc7ed8bfc95a5c3c.jpeg

IMG_3243.thumb.jpeg.ed8259590eff55144d40b59a3f01f3cc.jpeg

IMG_3083.thumb.jpeg.1bbdf22d479780485e24209399511b71.jpeg

IMG_3234.thumb.jpeg.56b0a3387b7b1d994b1256ec0478bd84.jpeg

Edited by florisdekort
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, Into the Sunset said:

Are you onboard?

In Kidless defense, there have been plenty of examples of Explora putting TAs and influencers on a freebie ahead of actual paying guests, most recently at the inaugural event where paying guests were restricted to Emporium Marketplace, with the other dining venues open for these so called “VIPs” only. (Paying guests actually had their confirmed reservations cancelled to make space.) It’s the world upside down. That said, it’s in the past now and it doesn’t serve any purpose to keep bringing it up over and over again. Let’s hope Explora learned from it. I’ll follow reports from the 3 November sailing with interest. 

• Like 7

On 10/27/2023 at 2:18 PM, kidless said:

All the influencers and TA’s got the nice upgrades. Paying guests will be treated like second class passengers. Watch how they will fall all over the “influencers” It’s a real turn off of the Mediterranean Shipping Company. 

I cannot let your post go without some comments.  We spent 18 days (from NYC back to NYC) on EJ1 and blogged, day by day.  Waltershipman (who we met onboard) also regularly added to our blog.  Neither one of us are what you call "influencers" and simply told it like it was.  While on our cruise, we did meet quite a few from the travel industry (what you call influencers) and never noticed any of them posting here on CC.  We did not notice them being treated differently (except during the Naming Ceramony Day) then us.  We ate with and next to these folks, discussed the cruise (good and bad) and we all had a good time.  Just like us (paying passengers) they had full run of the ship and could dine where they pleased (with so few on the ship anyone could get into any venue on nearly any evening).  We do know that there were some special events for the "influencers" which were primarily get-togethers where the EJ folks did ply their marketing skills.  They got to listen to some "suits" talk about future plans (we know this from conversations with a few onboard cruise agents).  No biggie and nothing special.  

As to free upgrades, I have no clue.  But we did not expect nor seek an upgrade and other than getting a different suite an upgrade would have had no impact on our cruise.   If anyone was "falling all over influencers" we sure did not notice.  Not even sure how that would work since everyone onboard had access to the same bars, restaurants, lounges, shows, etc.

So I would ask, "what on earth are you talking about?

Hank

Hank

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

Let’s hope Explora learned from it. I’ll follow reports from the 3 November sailing with interest. 

Myself, I’m not too optimistic about that. There does seem to be quite a few ‘repeaters’ on board for the Caribbean Inaugural from the other social media. If I do see too much ‘group activity’ I will mention it. Your sentiment is correct, we should be beyond the initial marketing phase, but we’ll see.

We didn’t notice too much disruption on Reykjavik to New York. Regular paying customers, like ourselves, were treated very well and had lots of opportunity to interact with senior officers/staff.

• Like 7

On 10/28/2023 at 12:10 PM, Hlitner said:

I cannot let your post go without some comments.  We spent 18 days (from NYC back to NYC) on EJ1 and blogged, day by day.  Waltershipman (who we met onboard) also regularly added to our blog.  Neither one of us are what you call "influencers" and simply told it like it was.  While on our cruise, we did meet quite a few from the travel industry (what you call influencers) and never noticed any of them posting here on CC.  We did not notice them being treated differently (except during the Naming Ceramony Day) then us.  We ate with and next to these folks, discussed the cruise (good and bad) and we all had a good time.  Just like us (paying passengers) they had full run of the ship and could dine where they pleased (with so few on the ship anyone could get into any venue on nearly any evening).  We do know that there were some special events for the "influencers" which were primarily get-togethers where the EJ folks did ply their marketing skills.  They got to listen to some "suits" talk about future plans (we know this from conversations with a few onboard cruise agents).  No biggie and nothing special.  

As to free upgrades, I have no clue.  But we did not expect nor seek an upgrade and other than getting a different suite an upgrade would have had no impact on our cruise.   If anyone was "falling all over influencers" we sure did not notice.  Not even sure how that would work since everyone onboard had access to the same bars, restaurants, lounges, shows, etc.

So I would ask, "what on earth are you talking about?

Hank

Hank

Thanks Hank. Yes i too was on board for a portion of the time as Hank and totally confirm his comments. In fact we met a woman and spoke with her at various times socially.  It was not until near the end of the cruise that she told us she was a TA. It really did not matter. We were all treated extremely well. As far as how much someone paid for their cabin of if they paid that is a separate issye and while we paid for our cruise we received the absolute best and got our moneys worth.  I have posted comments about short comings of E J and pretty sure they will be addressed and fixed.  In the mean time i ferl so fortunate that we were able to enjoy this new EJ in the cruise world. Also happy I was able to meet Hank and his DW.

I keep wondering how i can become an influencer  but with only 78 Instagram followers mostly family i think ill have to settle on being an influencer in my small family  or not LOL 

As far as Hank's observations he is pretty much on point always with great insight

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2023 at 6:49 AM, florisdekort said:

Marble & Co continues to deliver. Last night I finally gave in and ordered the 800 gram USDA Prime Porterhouse. Wow. The creamed spinach is outstanding as well. And the fresh lobster brioche… better than we’ve had on shore 🫣

IMG_3233.thumb.jpeg.478ee36edf92eca905cefa1778f85642.jpeg

IMG_3236.thumb.jpeg.0d2cbfbf767eae57e4270be616757718.jpeg

IMG_3238.thumb.jpeg.a97c8c35653a67fe19b233ae7223d797.jpeg

IMG_3078.thumb.jpeg.1ad6379c58587e66de6a0c0fe9ba67f4.jpeg

IMG_3240.thumb.jpeg.16e77567db898131ac57dd6185b9fffb.jpeg

IMG_3241.thumb.jpeg.043b19ffa70f0543fc7ed8bfc95a5c3c.jpeg

IMG_3243.thumb.jpeg.ed8259590eff55144d40b59a3f01f3cc.jpeg

IMG_3083.thumb.jpeg.1bbdf22d479780485e24209399511b71.jpeg

IMG_3234.thumb.jpeg.56b0a3387b7b1d994b1256ec0478bd84.jpeg

It looks like lobster rolls are more full of lobster than on sailing which was my critique 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

But the poster seemed to give it his seal of approval based on how it actually tasted 

Food is such a subjective subject 

Dry-aged steaks are very highly regarded for their tenderness.  I just don't find them to be as tasty as juicy wet-aged steaks, and USDA Prime ensures enough tenderness for me.  But yes, that's just my taste.

• Like 1