Alaska with children

Tin can

Hello all

I am after some advice please for Alaska 2025 on the ships and itineraries that usually attract families with children for our son to possibly pal up with.

The two Quantum class ships from Seattle look the best bet obviously but we like the idea of the Inside Passage from Vancouver. I just can't see though Grandeur Of The Seas doing the Vancouver return or Radiance doing the one ways from Vancouver or Seward having many families on board. 

Vancouver sailings seem to be an older crowd (nothing wrong with that as I am in that camp 😄) but I have to be mindful that Grandeur or Radiance for a 14 year old with no children his own age may not be much fun.

Any thoughts from season Alaska cruisers very welcome.

Edited by Tin can

20 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Hello all

I am after some advice please for Alaska 2025 on the ships and itineraries that usually attract families with children for our son to possibly pal up with.

The two Quantum class ships from Seattle look the best bet obviously but we like the idea of the Inside Passage from Vancouver. I just can't see though Grandeur Of The Seas doing the Vancouver return or Radiance doing the one ways from Vancouver or Seward having many families on board. 

Vancouver sailings seem to be an older crowd (nothing wrong with that as I am in that camp 😄) but I have to be mindful that Grandeur or Radiance for a 14 year old with no children his own age may not be much fun.

Any thoughts from season Alaska cruisers very welcome.

For families with teens...100% Q class out of Seattle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We cruised on another line out of seattle and on royal on serenade of the sea’s out of Vancouver both with kids. We went on the second with teens and had a blast. The serenade is the sister ship to Brilliance.  Plenty of families because of the summer and the both made friends, plus they like hanging out with us playing trivia, bingo, cards with us.  I much prefer leaving out of Vancouver because I hate that stop in Victoria.  An Alaskan cruise to me is more about the itinerary than the ship. We also started on holland America with the kids, and moved to royal. We’ve never done a big mega ship, so we are happy just hanging out.

• Like 1

I went on an 14 day Alaskan cruise this year that started in April and there was even teens on that one and they seemed to enjoy each others company a ton.  I have never been on any mass line cruise without kids, even when sailing when kids are normally in school and on longer itinerary (my last few have been at least 14 days).  I will say the only mass line where I saw limited # of kids was a January Caribbean cruise on Holland America many years ago.  My teen kid always enjoys himself, but he seems to make friends pretty easily.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tin can said:

I just can't see though Grandeur Of The Seas doing the Vancouver return or Radiance doing the one ways from Vancouver or Seward having many families on board. 

You'd be surprised.  You'll have less first time cruisers but more seasoned cruisers who know that going out of Vancouver gets you a more scenic trip.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the comments.

What to do...... the Quantum class ships from Seattle tick all the family boxes but the departures from Vancouver with the smaller less family friendly ships have the better itineraries.

Being from the UK its a tough decision as Alaska is likely a one off.

I sailed Alaska on the Coral Princess (really old ship, no kid amenities but great ship for interesting itineraries).  Did a one.way from Vancouver, and there were a ton of kids on our sailing in June.  Maybe try the Alaska board too to see if they think there would be a lot of kids on that sailing?  Ports are amazing for kids in Alaska, so hopefully your child will be happy on that cruise if you pick it for itinerary over boat.

Edited by kitkat343

2 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I sailed Alaska on the Coral Princess (really old ship, no kid amenities but great ship for interesting itineraries).  Did a one.way from Vancouver, and there were a ton of kids on our sailing in June.  Maybe try the Alaska board too to see if they think there would be a lot of kids on that sailing?  Ports are amazing for kids in Alaska, so hopefully your child will be happy on that cruise if you pick it for itinerary over boat.

Thank you that is really helpful as I  like the idea of the one way from Vancouver on Radiance.

Our son will really enjoy the ports and is not too concerned with having the ‘bells and whistles’ of the newer Royal ships but I know he will like a few other kids on board to hook up with in the evening.

I can't imagine RCCL in Alaska in summer months having few kids. We took Celebrity from Vancouver in May of 2015 which caters to an older crowd but there were still several kids on board - even though it was May. We are looking forward to Radiance from Vancouver to Seward in July 2024 with our 5 grandkids ages 5-11. I feel pretty confident they will meet others their ages. And it's their first cruise so I think it will be a nice size ship with plenty for them to do. The star of Alaska is Alaska - so I'm ok not having onboard surfing and other things the mega ships have. We only have one day at sea. 

29 minutes ago, surgie said:

I can't imagine RCCL in Alaska in summer months having few kids. We took Celebrity from Vancouver in May of 2015 which caters to an older crowd but there were still several kids on board - even though it was May. We are looking forward to Radiance from Vancouver to Seward in July 2024 with our 5 grandkids ages 5-11. I feel pretty confident they will meet others their ages. And it's their first cruise so I think it will be a nice size ship with plenty for them to do. The star of Alaska is Alaska - so I'm ok not having onboard surfing and other things the mega ships have. We only have one day at sea. 

'The star is Alaska' is exactly my thinking for favouring Vancouver to Seward. I'm a bit out of my comfort zone though with this cruise, perhaps I am over thinking things but being from the UK its a big trip for us and I want everyone to be happy with the choice of ship/itinerary..

Alaska was a once in a lifetime for us most likely, and sailing out of Seattle I didn't feel slighted at all. We went on the Whitepass RR (booked direct and saved 50%), Endicott Arm and Dawes, Mendenhall (took a taxi), whale watching (booked direct), went on a ghost tour, and booked the Hop on hop off in Victoria. We saw tons of wildlife and amazing icebergs and glaciers. My sister went on the same itinerary and booked a seaplane flight that looked amazing. Maybe watch some YouTube videos and see what you think 🙂 That's how I ultimately decided. 

Edited by TravelinTess

I was surprised this past July that there were 500+ kids on our Radiance Alaska cruise.  They were everywhere and seemed to be having a great time.  The one way is really busy with the glacier the first day and really only 1 sea day at the end. There’s not much time to get bored. 

I saw more than a few families with 3 or 4 kids in tow. The one way will also give you more time to spend in Alaska either before or after.

FYI our one way flights were very expensive.