Celebrity v Royal Caribbean?

CruzerDeb

I’m looking for cruises that sail out of San Juan. I’ve sailed once on Celebrity (Reflection), but never RC. We felt our X cruise was a little quiet, but I can’t really judge because it was a 900 person post-Covid cruise. Thoughts on a more lively cruise? Ships currently on that itinerary are Summit and Rhapsody of the Seas. 

I have been on roughly the same amounts of RC and Celebrity cruises.  RC cruises tend to be more lively and fun but service/food slightly better on Celebrity.  We enjoy both lines and will continue to flip-flop between them.  There are more kids on RC but if you are not going on a school break it should be fine.  My husband and I went on Celebrity last Easter break and commented how few kids were on the ship.  Celebrity also has an older clientele, whereas RC is younger.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rhapsody OTS is one of the oldest and smallest in the RCCL fleet. It is not what most think of the currently advertised Royal Caribbean brand. No water slides and other modern bells and whistles. Summit is a better ship in terms of decor imo. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We' sailed Royal and Celebrity pretty much equally. Royal is definitely livelier and more family oriented of the two lines. Years ago, there didn't used to be a lot of kids during school months, but that is definitely changing. I guess more kids are home schooled or take advantage of Internet technology to study & cruise, so there isn't as much slack a before. That said, I doubt Rhapsody would attract the usually very active families and singles crowds.  Newer Royal ships offer so much more to the energetic demographics.  

Given the choice you have, I'd choose Summit, but neither of your choices do much for me unless one of those two ships has an amazing itinerary you really want to experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lettrich said:

I have been on roughly the same amounts of RC and Celebrity cruises.  RC cruises tend to be more lively and fun but service/food slightly better on Celebrity.  We enjoy both lines and will continue to flip-flop between them.  There are more kids on RC but if you are not going on a school break it should be fine.  My husband and I went on Celebrity last Easter break and commented how few kids were on the ship.  Celebrity also has an older clientele, whereas RC is younger.  

It’s the itinerary I’m interested in - San Juan, St. Maarten, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia. Maybe newer ships will go there in 2025. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤞

Edited by CruzerDeb

15 minutes ago, 39august said:

None of my business, but if you don't mind, why do you want to sail from San Juan? Many cruises go to San Juan as a port of call. As far as Rhapsody goes, it is old and small. 

I want to sail from San Juan because it seems like that’s necessary to go to the ports I’m interested in - St Maarten, St Kitts, St Lucia, Antigua, etc., on a 7-8 day cruise. Plus, I’ve been to San Juan before and would like to spend an extra day or so there pre-cruise. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

I’m looking for cruises that sail out of San Juan. I’ve sailed once on Celebrity (Reflection), but never RC. We felt our X cruise was a little quiet, but I can’t really judge because it was a 900 person post-Covid cruise. Thoughts on a more lively cruise? Ships currently on that itinerary are Summit and Rhapsody of the Seas. 

I know you asked about Royal and Celebrity but Norwegian's newest ship, the Viva will be sailing out of San Juan.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

I know you asked about Royal and Celebrity but Norwegian's newest ship, the Viva will be sailing out of San Juan.

Thanks! I actually just looked at NCL, and I love the itinerary and the ship looks amazing. However, I’m interested in October and they’re only sailing Jan-April and Dec. 😢

2 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

Thanks! I actually just looked at NCL, and I love the itinerary and the ship looks amazing. However, I’m interested in October and they’re only sailing Jan-April and Dec. 😢

If the specific itinerary is important, keep in mind that October is hurricane season and ports can be changed.

• Like 2

I definately would consider the summit.  While we love Royal Oasis class ships, The summit was revolutionized and is so much more modern.  The Rapsody is old and doesn't have all of the amenities of the Oasis Class ships, our favorite Royal ships.  We sailed on the Adventure of the Seas last year and it was very disappointing- especially the old rundown  junior suites and cafeteria style buffet.  Never again will we consider such an old ship.  

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

I want to sail from San Juan because it seems like that’s necessary to go to the ports I’m interested in - St Maarten, St Kitts, St Lucia, Antigua, etc., on a 7-8 day cruise. Plus, I’ve been to San Juan before and would like to spend an extra day or so there pre-cruise. 

Another plus for us, cruising from SJ the cruises are port intensive. Not sea day fans. Also usually port stops in SJ typically have a late afternoon arrival time. Don't like that either.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

If the specific itinerary is important, keep in mind that October is hurricane season and ports can be changed.

Shooting for October because we have a month-long ski vacation in March, so I’d like to spread out my vacationing. I know that ports could be missed due to hurricanes. Hope for the best!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hvacguy131 said:

Both ships are small and don't offer much.  Celebrity will be OOOLLDD clientele for sure.  Sleeper cruise imo.  Neither is great option for SJ.

I would disagree with the 'Celebrity will be OOOLLD'.    yes there will be way less kids and families.   but the average Celebrity  guest is 35-60 and traveling without kids.    the crowd that would be considered old is not large on Celebrity like it is on some other lines and often on Royal there are significantly more of the old crowd that on a typical Celebrity sailing as you get a lot of multi-generational family groups on Royal.

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2023 at 11:38 AM, CruzerDeb said:

Shooting for October because we have a month-long ski vacation in March, so I’d like to spread out my vacationing. I know that ports could be missed due to hurricanes. Hope for the best!

as a former travel consultant, we advised our clients to never sail the caribbean  in sept, oct or early nov. unless necessary....I also would not  sail out of san juan as i have done so too many times and i will tactfully leave it at that.....as a former mt adams couple, just trying to be helpful.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, retired dude said:

as a former travel consultant, we advised our clients to never sail the caribbean  in sept, oct or early nov. unless necessary....I also would not  sail out of san juan as i have done so too many times and i will tactfully leave it at that.....as a former mt adams couple, just trying to be helpful.

Thanks for your input. 

2 hours ago, Hvacguy131 said:

Both ships are small and don't offer much.  Celebrity will be OOOLLDD clientele for sure.  Sleeper cruise imo.  Neither is great option for SJ.

Very much disagree with you.  Summit is a great ship - yes, smaller, but was revolutionized and looks very nice.  What some call small, others call comfortably sized.  As to age, yes, Celebrity tends to trend older than Royal,  But "OOOLLDD clientele"?  Only on the longer cruises.  These days there are a lot of younger people sailing Celebrity ships thanks to their marketing scheme.  Kind of an insulting comment at that.  Heaven forbid you have to spend time cruising with OOOLLDD people.

• Like 3