Gratuities Are Going Up Again, Effective 11.11.2023

ace1zoe2

4 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

In restaurants in Canada the “unseen” are tipped out by the servers. They ARE a part of the tipped position. If a server didnt tip out the unseen employees would make their life miserable believe me. I have had three daughters who worked in the restaurant business.

Good for Canada.

2 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

And service where tip creep culture is happening has not improved. The tip is not seen as an incentive but now the tip is seen as an entitlement. 

Door Dash is now saying that if someone doesnt leave a tip when they order, the customer risks having their food delivery take longer. Tipping before service is delivered is crazy. This will turn door dash into a blind bidding system based on amount tipped before hand.

But hey...this is the world that has been created by the people who brag about tipping

I support not delivering to those who don’t put a tip, they get paid $2.50 to drive to the restaurant, wait for your food, and deliver it yo your door, $2.50 doesn’t cover gas. Now drivers know which orders aren’t worth their time or charity.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

In restaurants in Canada the “unseen” are tipped out by the servers. They ARE a part of the tipped position. If a server didnt tip out the unseen employees would make their life miserable believe me. I have had three daughters who worked in the restaurant business.

Same as most restaurants in the US, many times all tips are pooled and then bus boys and bartenders get tipped out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mjkacmom said:

I support not delivering to those who don’t put a tip, they get paid $2.50 to drive to the restaurant, wait for your food, and deliver it yo your door, $2.50 doesn’t cover gas. Now drivers know which orders aren’t worth their time or charity.

i see you support blind bidding for your order and paying before service is performed

good to know

1 hour ago, UNCFanatik said:

I love it when people calling it "stiffing" as it is a mandatory matter. 

And yes, I think that US restaurants should pay employees more but it is simply a false equivalency to compare US restaurants to a multi-billion dollar cruise line. I am more sympathetic to small US restaurant owners if tipping was done away with and their ability to survive paying workers more in wages vs a cruise line that could afford to do so and not bat an eye

Well said.

And that multibillion company pays taxes in USA? Are Royal ships registered in USA?

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Same as most restaurants in the US, many times all tips are pooled and then bus boys and bartenders get tipped out.

Not most. And sure doesn't include the cleaning crew etc. Not a fare comparison to the insane amount that get tipped from cruise line tipping pools. 

5 minutes ago, fizzywm said:

You could say any job is not a tipped job if you don’t tip them yourself. But it doesn’t change reality.

Huh??? 

There are tipped positions and non tipped positions. That's the way all positions are advertised. That is the reality.

Do you hear yourself when you say something like that???

3 minutes ago, RyderJ201 said:

Huh??? 

There are tipped positions and non tipped positions. That's the way all positions are advertised. That is the reality.

Do you hear yourself when you say something like that???

Exactly right. If you think the cruise line isn’t advertising those positions as tipped to potential employees, I don’t even know what to tell you. I’m positive they aren’t paying them tips for fun or benevolence.

Edited by fizzywm

Just now, fizzywm said:

Exactly right. If you think the cruise line isn’t advertising those positions as tipped to potential employees, I don’t even know what to tell you. I’m positive they aren’t paying them tips for fun or benevolence.

of course they are advertising as such to exploit their worker base to lower labor cost and try to guilt the customer in supplementing wages when they could pay higher wage to start with and raise cruise fares accordingly and let the market sort it out

It would stop all this savior mentality of tipping people based on where they come from to assuage some kind of 1st world guilt

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fizzywm said:

I don't care. It's not positions we tip in the real world. When you tip the laundry staff at the next hotel you stay at, we will talk.

When you find a job washing sheets for a hotel that also pays tips, we will talk. Till then I live in this world. Not everyone gets a tip because there employer's are too cheap. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

of course they are advertising as such to exploit their worker base to lower labor cost and try to guilt the customer in supplementing wages when they could pay higher wage to start with and raise cruise fares accordingly and let the market sort it out

It would stop all this savior mentality of tipping people based on where they come from to assuage some kind of 1st world guilt

This is true but it is a line item. If it was rolled into the fare we wouldn’t be debating this. It would then be a choice in cruising for a price that is in your wheelhouse. I too do not like the model, and I also dont agree with paying 2 bucks an hour to anyone in our rich Western World.

• Like 1