Gratuities Are Going Up Again, Effective 11.11.2023

ace1zoe2

Just received an email that gratuities are increasing $2 per person per day effective 11.11.2023. You can pre-pay prior to that date for any future cruises to avoid the increase. I know tipping is a hot topic but if everyone would just pay their part the ones that do what the cruise line suggests wouldn't take the hit for everyone.

image.thumb.png.85b3d8ed176118f30a9fa0f7c0ccd9f2.png

Edited by ace1zoe2
added photo
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ace1zoe2 said:

Just received an email that gratuities are increasing $2 per person per day effective 11.11.2023. You can pre-pay prior to that date for any future cruises to avoid the increase. I know tipping is a hot topic but if everyone would just pay their part the ones that do what the cruise line suggests wouldn't take the hit for everyone.

i disagree completely. they will continue to raise tips, and reduce service, no matter what. 

they need to give more tipping options. i leave the stateroom workers cash (10-15, per person per day), and i have ultimate dining, so I pay 18% on that when i book the cash and then leave cash tips (5-10 per person, per meal). I waive my daily gratutities because i never step foot in the main dining room where most of the money goes. i wish there was a way to leave extra for the housekeeping services that are included, but there's not. it's either tip people i never see, or waive them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I did not pay the old rate, I surely will not be paying the new rate.

I guess they will just need to add gratis into fare (a bit more to offset taxes),  so no more discussions

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Puleeze….

I wish they would just make it a mandatory service fee so everyone paid the same. If you want to give more give it. I just see all the people that say they take off gratuities... period... and tip nothing. However, there are a lot that say they remove and tip only the people that they see. We do both. Pre-pay tips and tip extra to room steward and anyone that goes above and beyond to help us.

• Like 13

Just now, Tatka said:

I guess they will just need to add gratis into fare (a bit more to offset taxes),  so no more discussions

Honestly..this is the way. It needs to be included so people don't even notice. I will always pay the gratuities, but I wish it was just included...which I why I prepay them,its just an additional part of the fare to me that way

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Honestly..this is the way. It needs to be included so people don't even notice. I will always pay the gratuities, but I wish it was just included...which I why I prepay them,its just an additional part of the fare to me that way

I agree. Just put it in the total and be done with it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Will never happen, not on USA embarkation at least. It took legislative action to force the airlines into pricing transparency, I can't imagine them getting involved in this.

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

Will never happen, not on USA embarkation at least.

At one time when My Time Dining first started it was required to pre-pay gratuities. It still says that on their website but they no longer charge upfront.

Edited by ace1zoe2

Will never happen, not on USA embarkation at least.

Why? It happened on some other lines like Virgin.

Edited by Tatka

Email just received:

Dear Guest,

We are excited to welcome you onboard for your upcoming Royal Caribbean sailing!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of an update to our daily gratuity charges. As of November 11th, 2023, the automatic daily gratuity charge will increase from $16.00 to $18.00 per guest, per day for non-suite staterooms and from $18.50 to $20.50 per guest, per day for suites. The daily gratuity is shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants, and other hotel services teams.

If you’d like to pre-pay your gratuities at the current rate before your sailing, we’re happy to extend this opportunity to you. If you’d prefer to pay onboard, your gratuity charge will be applied to your onboard account at the new rate.

Other onboard gratuity policies remain the same – an 18% gratuity will be automatically added to purchases for beverages, spa & salon services, room service, and mini bar items. These will be itemized on your receipt at the end of each purchase.

To pre-pay your gratuities before your sailing at the current rate, or if you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or contact us at:

• 1 866 562 7625 in the U.S.
  • 1800 754 500 in Australia / 0800 102 123 in New Zealand
  • In the UK only, by using our webchat service or by calling 0344 493 4005
  • All other countries, please visit http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contactus for your local Royal Caribbean International office phone number.

We thank you for your understanding and can’t wait to welcome you onboard!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International