Entertainment volume in Piazza

Tedferg

2 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

I hadn't really noticed this problem before. But last trip on Ruby... Piazza was really bad. In one particular instance, the game was some variation of corn hole or whatever which involved pax tossing balls into a target. Each every throw resulted in the host screaming loud OOOOHHHs into the microphone whenever the player missed. It went on for half an hour. It is so bad, the bartenders were complaining with customers and visibly annoyed. They couldn't work like that.

Second to this has got to be that annoying cocktail performance they make the bartenders do at Good Spirits. No one cares. No one. If you're not familiar, every day around 5:00 pm while everyone is getting a drink before dinner, the bartending stops while several cocktails are demonstrated and presented with frequent loud interruptions by a canned travel show playing on the monitors and loudspeaker. It's dumb. We sat through several of these mostly because we were seated at the bar. You could easily see the bartender was just over the whole extravaganza. 

We have yet to see it on the Ruby but I imagine it similar to the other ships as well. Very irritating when you're trying to place on order over the shoulders of people sitting there & get to dinner. 

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

And Princess.com touts the piazza as "inviting".

It's an invitation to hearing loss, that's for sure.

Some people have reported that the sound level in the show lounge has been tempered somewhat although I haven't found it to be true. 

I Agreed that volume in the piazza is probably disturbing to many guest.   As someone who enjoys most of the musical performances,  piazza is my least favorite venue.  The old Explorers lounge worked much better. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Yes, it seems to be getting noisier. I’m not against having fun activities but they seem go over board with the constant “fun”. I actually avoid the piazza now except for early in the morning.

We just made elite, but we are taking our next cruise on HAL for a little peace and quiet.

And you will notice a huge difference. I don’t think HAL ships are as pretty- certainly, their atrium is nothing like a Princess Piazza- but it’s calm and reasonably quiet. I didn’t realize it until I read your comment, but it is probably one of my favorite things about HAL, no over the top screaming and in your face entertainment. I don’t spend a lot of time in the Piazza, which is good, because there’s rarely enough seating to do so. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

And you will notice a huge difference. I don’t think HAL ships are as pretty- certainly, their atrium is nothing like a Princess Piazza- but it’s calm and reasonably quiet. I didn’t realize it until I read your comment, but it is probably one of my favorite things about HAL, no over the top screaming and in your face entertainment. I don’t spend a lot of time in the Piazza, which is good, because there’s rarely enough seating to do so. 

Yes, most of our cruises lately have been Celebrity and Princess, and I was starting to realize that a quiet spot was getting to be a rarity. HAL ships are certainly prettier on the outside, but I agree about the inside although I haven’t been on the newest 3 which are supposed to be more light and bright.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

The only time it's relaxing is before 6 AM and in-between scheduled events during the day. 

😆 Most of the noise starts at 9 or 930 in the Piazza.

We plan our day around the games and noise.  Getting harder to do.  Retreat to the balcony!

• Like 1

We think Princess Piazza is great and on our one Celebrity cruise we missed this central location to grab a drink and people-watch. The noise level defeats this Princess asset!

Also on this 20 day cruise, they had a pair of violinists, too loud, appeared too often, and mostly inappropriate music choice.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

We think Princess Piazza is great and on our one Celebrity cruise we missed this central location to grab a drink and people-watch. The noise level defeats this Princess asset!

Also on this 20 day cruise, they had a pair of violinists, too loud, appeared too often, and mostly inappropriate music choice.

The violins are usually the quietist log all the music. When the have a 8 piece band with a screaming singer is when I run for cover

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, memoak said:

The violins are usually the quietist log all the music. When the have a 8 piece band with a screaming singer is when I run for cover

I agree, probably we were overloaded with the violinists, they did use the electric violins rather than standard instruments and volume was turned up. But, yes, those screaming singers are way too much.

As a separate comment from the nose, when they had fitness / line dancing etc.. many seats were occupied with towels, water bottles etc.

21 minutes ago, BabsinTX said:

We boarded a ship last year while a musician played a loud electric guitar in the Piazza.  I went to Guest Services to complain and had to shout to be heard.  Good grief.

And yet, people sit there and take it.  Management won't notice unless the place empties out when the deafening music, shouting, and screeching starts.  

On 10/31/2023 at 2:55 PM, memoak said:

One problem on Royal class ships is that many venues like pizzeria, sushi bar and Crooners are all surrounding the piazza  and the noise just goes straight up into the venues

Our favorite venue is the Bellini Bar.  We enjoyed the music but the volume of the Passenger vs. Staff games made visits less than enjoyable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2023 at 3:49 PM, Tedferg said:

I think there is a disconnect between Princess people who feel there should be a party atmosphere and passengers who spend much more time in the Piazza and want a more tranquil experience.

Nah...all these "new" Princess staff people came from Carnival...

16 hours ago, MissP22 said:

But the noise level has been the same for years now.

True, but it seems like more games such as cornhole, ring toss, carpet bowl etc. that used to be in other venues have migrated to the piazza over the last few years for some reason. So they have an audience?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Musky Ike said:

True, but it seems like more games such as cornhole, ring toss, carpet bowl etc. that used to be in other venues have migrated to the piazza over the last few years for some reason. 

Exactly!  Things were much quieter before this migration.

• Like 1

I was flamed on this board for complaining about the noise from the egg drop when we were eating in Alfredo's.  I have read comments about the noise from the piazza carrying into the dining rooms on Caribbean Princess so we've booked Palm, away from the piazza.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Senga said:

I was flamed on this board for complaining about the noise from the egg drop when we were eating in Alfredo's.  I have read comments about the noise from the piazza carrying into the dining rooms on Caribbean Princess so we've booked Palm, away from the piazza.

Shame on anyone who flamed you.  There have been many members on this board who have complained about the noise.  And shame on Princess too.  That kind of racket does not lend itself to a nice cruise.

• Like 3