Specialty Dinning Price Increases

slavens_09

Looking at the specialty dinning pricing for my upcoming sailing on the Horizon Nov. 5th. It appears that the prices have increased again on specialty dinning. JiJi's is now $24 up from $18. Bonsai Teppanyaki dinner $42 up from $38. Glad I had already purchased at the cheaper price.

Just checked our MG cruise in December and prices not only increased as OP noted but there are some new offerings under specialty dining options.  I have never seen these options in the past, they are $65 pp and offer cooking and dinning experiences like "Mission Masala Tiger Class with dinner" and "An Elegant Affair Class with dinner - Spain".  There are several others as well, anyone else notice these?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Obviously still a very good deal compared to a comparable place at home. The price of eating out is getting to be ridiculous.

I first thought you were overestimating the value of the Steakhouse, because the MDR meal it replaces is already paid for.

But then I remembered a nice dinner I had recently at a local high-end steakhouse (maybe a bit better than the on-board Carnival Steakhouse), and that was easily $120 to $140 pp just for food.  So yeah, the Carnival Steakhouse is still a pretty good deal.

If you compare the Carnival Steakhouse to Longhorns then maybe it isn't such a good deal, but I don't think that's a fair comparison - Longhorns is acceptable (better than Golden Corral, lol), sure, but not as nice as Carnival.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I first thought you were overestimating the value of the Steakhouse, because the MDR meal it replaces is already paid for.

But then I remembered a nice dinner I had recently at a local high-end steakhouse (maybe a bit better than the on-board Carnival Steakhouse), and that was easily $120 to $140 pp just for food.  So yeah, the Carnival Steakhouse is still a pretty good deal.

If you compare the Carnival Steakhouse to Longhorns then maybe it isn't such a good deal, but I don't think that's a fair comparison - Longhorns is acceptable (better than Golden Corral, lol), sure, but not as nice as Carnival.

Right you have to compare like for like, and discount the Denny's like meal that you could have had in the MDR. I think Carnival's steakhouse still compares favorably.

Usually Steakhouse is great, but I have to say our recent cruise on Pride was not so.  My lobster was overcooked and my DH's filet was not tender.  Our cruise before that on Magic, the Steakhouse was so tasty that we booked it 3 times out of an 8 day cruise.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

The Steakhouse used to be excellent value for the money, but the experience has been cheapened dramatically from what is was, even looking back five years ago. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy a night at the Steakhouse and enjoy the food, but instead of booking multiple nights, we’ve begun visiting only once a cruise. 

On the newer ships, the tables are so close they might as well be shared. As a shareholder, I get packing in as many people as possible, but it’s not the intimate experience it once was. The service, while not bad isn’t on par with what it once was and between the recent menu changes (bring back the wasabi mashed potatoes!), lesser quality cuts of meat and smaller portions, it makes us less likely to book more than one night. If a ship has JiJi’s I’ll choose JiJi’s over the Steakhouse every time when given the option, as that’s one of the most underrated of any meals eaten on a Carnival ship. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mattcj89 said:

The Steakhouse used to be excellent value for the money, but the experience has been cheapened dramatically from what is was, even looking back five years ago. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy a night at the Steakhouse and enjoy the food, but instead of booking multiple nights, we’ve begun visiting only once a cruise. 

On the newer ships, the tables are so close they might as well be shared. As a shareholder, I get packing in as many people as possible, but it’s not the intimate experience it once was. The service, while not bad isn’t on par with what it once was and between the recent menu changes (bring back the wasabi mashed potatoes!), lesser quality cuts of meat and smaller portions, it makes us less likely to book more than one night. If a ship has JiJi’s I’ll choose JiJi’s over the Steakhouse every time when given the option, as that’s one of the most underrated of any meals eaten on a Carnival ship. 

Carnival is down in service and quality bow to stern compared to 5 years ago, the Steakhouse is just one example.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The industry is the same…..being forced to close for 19 months will do that.

That excuse worked for the first 6 months or so after the closure. But we've been back to cruising for over 2 years now. The excuses don't cut the mustard anymore for me.

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

That excuse worked for the first 6 months or so after the closure. But we've been back to cruising for over 2 years now. The excuses don't cut the mustard anymore for me.

6 months….24 billion….much borrowing and then refinancing all this debt, all the 600 hundred OBC which made cruising once it started done at a loss…. No excuses there ALL facts.  But we all make our own decisions.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 3

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

6 months….24 billion….much borrowing and then refinancing all this debt, all the 600 hundred OBC which made cruising once it started done at a loss…. No excuses there ALL facts.  But we all make our own decisions.

🎻🎻🎻

All those things are not my problem. Carnival has to provide a competitive product in the marketplace despite headwinds, or they won't survive. They're profitable again - so they are providing a competitive product for many people now. And hopefully they will survive. Good for them! I feel like I may have outgrown their product, but that's me.

• Like 4