Istanbul stop cancelled.

cricketlover

I got that too - and am not at all surprised.  Sort of a "CYA" (American term) for Oceania.   I am sorry to miss Kusadasi and Istanbul.  But having been to Heraklion and Santorini before (many times to heraklion because we used to spend summer holidays in Elouda) I can say there are a lot of things in both ports that are worth seeing.

Wow! 6 months in advance? 

I'm wondering what happens to cruises that embark or disembark in Istanbul? Are they being changed too? This could be a real mess if you booked your flights independently.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Wow! 6 months in advance? 

I'm wondering what happens to cruises that embark or disembark in Istanbul? Are they being changed too? This could be a real mess if you booked your flights independently.  

Looks like those cruises really ramp up in May. Will be interesting needless to say. We were just there in May. Guess we were lucky. 

After reading OP's post earlier today, I was thinking we might be getting the same email regarding Vista, 11/11/24, Athens to Miami...but didn't expect to get it today! Istanbul and Ephesus cancelled, replaced with 2 more stops in Greece (Gythion, Argostoli) and 2 in Croatia (Kotor, Dubrovnik). Not surprised and not unhappy, as we've not been to any of the added stops. Was looking forward to Ephesus, but spent 5 days in Istanbul some years ago. An overabundance of caution over a year out? Maybe, but relative to 'berthing' requirements and planning, and with all the changes happening for all cruise lines in that part of the world, not at all surprising. 

38 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

After reading OP's post earlier today, I was thinking we might be getting the same email regarding Vista, 11/11/24, Athens to Miami...but didn't expect to get it today! Istanbul and Ephesus cancelled, replaced with 2 more stops in Greece (Gythion, Argostoli) and 2 in Croatia (Kotor, Dubrovnik). Not surprised and not unhappy, as we've not been to any of the added stops. Was looking forward to Ephesus, but spent 5 days in Istanbul some years ago. An overabundance of caution over a year out? Maybe, but relative to 'berthing' requirements and planning, and with all the changes happening for all cruise lines in that part of the world, not at all surprising. 

We loved Kotor…..just a beautiful sail in and out.  Enjoyed it very much. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jazznruby said:

I’m on 8/24 Istanbul to Athens, haven’t had any change yet. Thought we might be ok since so far out, but maybe not.

9 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

I’m on 8/24 Istanbul to Athens, haven’t had any change yet. Thought we might be ok since so far out, but maybe not.

If they're making changes for the November crossing, I'd be very surprised if changes for earlier sailings aren't forthcoming. But...???

• Like 1

We are wondering why Istanbul and Ephesus are canceled for many 2024 sailings, but not all.  Our sailing in September has Israel and Egypt cancelled, but retains Istanbul and Ephesus.  Other 2024 sailings before and after ours canceled Istanbul and Ephesus.   We have time to decide, but think that our itinerary will likely change again.  Hopefully sooner rather than later.  Before final payment that is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jazznruby said:

Istanbul and Ephesus cancelled, replaced with 2 more stops in Greece (Gythion, Argostoli) and 2 in Croatia (Kotor, Dubrovnik).

Just a quick clarification.  Kotor is actually in Montenegro, not Croatia.  It is indeed beautiful, and the people are super friendly.

Edited by PinonNoir
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, romaninflorida said:

We are wondering why Istanbul and Ephesus are canceled for many 2024 sailings, but not all.  Our sailing in September has Israel and Egypt cancelled, but retains Istanbul and Ephesus.  Other 2024 sailings before and after ours canceled Istanbul and Ephesus.   We have time to decide, but think that our itinerary will likely change again.  Hopefully sooner rather than later.  Before final payment that is.

Bigger ships most probably got the spots in these ports instead of Israel. RCCL made bookings recently in all there port with bigger ships of 4000-5000 pax so probably they get priority in the berth.

Edited by SummmerInKefalonia

36 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

Just a quick clarification.  Kotor is actually in Montenegro, not Croatia.  It is indeed beautiful, and the people are super friendly.

Sorry, didn't check Wikipedia before posting, but happy to be visiting both. I was in Dubrovnik in the early 70s when it was Yugoslavia. Loved it then, will love it next year, I'm sure. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jazznruby said:

Sorry, didn't check Wikipedia before posting, but happy to be visiting both. I was in Dubrovnik in the early 70s when it was Yugoslavia. Loved it then, will love it next year, I'm sure. 

You may not love Dubrovnik if you re there on a day when there are 10,000 other people from cruise ships. It has become a crowded place to visit and is very different than when it was part of Yugoslavia.

8 minutes ago, susiesan said:

You may not love Dubrovnik if you re there on a day when there are 10,000 other people from cruise ships. It has become a crowded place to visit and is very different than when it was part of Yugoslavia.

One alternative, for those who have already experienced Dubrovnik, is to take the regional bus or boat (there are regularly scheduled boats) from Dubrovnik to the small town of Cavtat!  It is a picturesque charming village with plenty of restaurants for lunch.  While it does get some cruise excursions, it is not overrun like one experiences inside the walls of Dubrovnik.

Hank

• Like 3

We took a different option. We traveled inland from Split and saw some fabulous countryside, then ventured on to Dubrovnik and overnighted there. The cruise ships, and their crowds, had cleared out. We had an absolutely wonderful dinner in town, then strolling the streets, with the locals. After a great day of sightseeing in the area, we returned to the ship in time for sail away. Experiencing the town after the departure of the cruise ships was well worth the costs of a hotel room! 👌🍷

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

We loved Kotor…..just a beautiful sail in and out.  Enjoyed it very much. 

The sail in to the Bay of Kotor has to be one of the most lovely things to experience in the world. We have been there several times (always by ship) and if there is a slight mist it is even more lovely.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This must be the week that Oceania has finalized many port changes.  Just received notification that our June 2025 stop in Saint-Malo is changed from noon-6:30pm to 6:30am-5pm.   A welcome change.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

This must be the week that Oceania has finalized many port changes.  Just received notification that our June 2025 stop in Saint-Malo is changed from noon-6:30pm to 6:30am-5pm.   A welcome change.  

We are on the same cruise and got it too. I guess not all changes are necessarily negative. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Since November is definitely off season, and I'm reading that it's the rainiest month of the year there, not too concerned that we'll be joined by throngs of people. If I'm wrong, oh well, they have as much right to be there as I do, so we'll muddle through and still enjoy it. (Always reminded of our first trip to the Amalfi coast some years back on a cruise in October. Poured rain all day. We loved it! So much so that we went back a few years later on a land trip and stayed for several days...that time in sunny April. We don't travel anywhere during high season, so that's one way to avoid cruise crowds.)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jazznruby said:

Had port call in Gythion many years ago. Many opted for tour to Sparta but we stayed in this charming old sea side town and had a wonderful day. Bought fresh baklava and sat on part of the wall of a castle built before the Crusades eating baklava and imagining the harbor centuries ago. Watched octopus fisherman come in. We loved this day watching life go by as it has there for ages

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

Had port call in Gythion many years ago. Many opted for tour to Sparta but we stayed in this charming old sea side town and had a wonderful day. Bought fresh baklava and sat on part of the wall of a castle built before the Crusades eating baklava and imagining the harbor centuries ago. Watched octopus fisherman come in. We loved this day watching life go by as it has there for ages

Sounds wonderful! One of our favorite "activities" anywhere we are. And I couldn't agree more about 'days at sea'! ☺️

We also travel for the itinerary, and we like using Oceania for the comfortable experience while doing so. We were booked on the Vista, June 1, 2024, but we cancelled our cruise (and all the pre & post cruise arrangements we had made), and transferred our deposit to a cruise from Singapore in January 2025.

We are gutted (to use a Britishism). I was soooo looking forward to visiting Israel prior to the cruise.😭

• Like 1

We travel for the itinerary and the experience. I do not believe they are mutually exclusive. When you travel on a regular basis and have diverse interests, where the ship sails is a key consideration when choosing a cruise. I just looked at the itinerary for our September 28, 2024 Cruise on the Riviera from Athens to Istanbul which included stops in Israel and Eygpt. The itinerary has changed dramatically. Ideal and Egypt have been replaced with Kotor, Dubrovnik, Corfu and Mykonos. All places we have been several times and love. We will rebook.

We want to experience new places. We selected this cruise specifically because the itinerary included Israel and Egypt and the Riviera is a beautiful ship. We are experienced Cruisers and itineraries can and often do change. This trip was a compromise. I desperately wanted wanted to see the Pyramids and Jerusalem, my husband did not but he was looking forward to returning to Istanbul. I am very disappointed with the change. I understand that Oceania had no choice. Oceania has been put in an untenable situation. Passengers can not be dropped off in the middle of a war zone.

We are fortunate, we will not lose much if we rebook. I do think that before an itinerary change is posted on line Oceania and/or our TA should have reached out before it was posted on line. Calling my TA now...