Warning: On Emerald now and told Princess app does not work on android cell phones

satxdiver

19 minutes ago, nzOdy said:

Bollycats, if the app version you have now is working,  do not risk updating it.  I could tell you how to fix the buggy app on a Galaxy phone,  not sure how to do it for a Pixel though.

On your 2nd question,  if you haven't enabled automatic updates, it shouldn't update itself. You might find one day the installed app itself just tells you to update.  Hopefully you can get through your cruise before that happens.

Thanks. I turned off automatic updates. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't make me update it or it gets fixed before I have to.

• Like 1

Boarding in 13 days and now my app is being weird (Galaxy A51, updated).  Had the accessibility mode locked-in issue... fixed it by revising the accessibility settings.  Then suddenly I can't log in with my username and password at all.  Get a message that says "We're sorry, our servers are having problems.  Please try again later."  Logging in with my name, booking number and birthday works... for now. 🙄

My first Princess cruise... extremely underwhelmed by both the customer service and the app so far.  I don't get how Carnival's app is so good and Princess' is so poor.  Just use the Carnival app and change the logos!

• Like 3

We just got off the Regal (October 24 to November 5) and the app worked fine on my husband's Android.  I guess it's YMMV?

I just noticed that this post is from Saturday... we did get a notice that there was an update to the app a couple of days before we disembarked that we didn't mess with, so perhaps the latest update that came out a few days ago is bugged :(

Edited by Dreamscaper

38 minutes ago, vulcan97 said:

That's the ship I'll be on.  What are your thoughts of it?

We enjoyed it, but it was our first Princess cruise so we have nothing else to compare it to on the Princess line.  Our only other sailings have been with Norwegian (Jewel in 2017, Breakaway in 2019).  Both were pre-covid, had a nicer "free at sea" perk package than they have now, better production shows, and we remember a fun blues club on one of the Norwegian sailings.  We did enjoy the piazza on the Regal though with the lounges that looked out over it, and other members of the forums here have said Regal and it's sister ship Royal were among their favourite Princess ships.  Medallion net and the Ocean now delivery system were nice touches, but those aren't exclusive to the Regal of course.  We did miss having a walkable promenade around the pool deck, but there is a walking track up a level or two.  We did love the International Cafe, but again, not exclusive to Regal.

Note:  Lesly in Outriggers is a gem!  She'll be with the ship until she gets to go home for a few months in February or March.

Unfortunately I just don't have much to compare this ship to, with my only other sailings being "our first cruise(s)" experiences (so bigger wow factor) and pre-covid qualities on a  difference cruise line.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

We enjoyed it, but it was our first Princess cruise so we have nothing else to compare it to on the Princess line. 

Thanks so much.  This will be my first Princess as well (18 previous cruises on 5 different brands), so I'm actually more interested in the comparisons to other companies as opposed to how Regal compares to other Princess ships.

15 minutes ago, vulcan97 said:

Thanks so much.  This will be my first Princess as well (18 previous cruises on 5 different brands), so I'm actually more interested in the comparisons to other companies as opposed to how Regal compares to other Princess ships.

Is there one line that stands out in your mind that you like?

My point is, if you have one sailing each on 4 lines and 14 sailings on, lets pick Celebrity, then we can compare to that line. If however you have sailed 3 to 4 sailings on each line; meaning you are more interested in the itinerary than brand loyalty, then what I would say is Princess does a great job of hitting the major ports, but their ships are too big for those smaller getaways.

I've been on the Regal and that was our impression. Size gives lots to do, but big and impersonal. Some like it that way. The buffet is amazing for size and selection! No Promenade deck to walk off the calories though.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bollycats said:

I just looked at my One Plus 8 phone. Everything on the app works fine and I'm green lane. I looked in the play store and it says there is an update available. Should I do it or not? Can I leave as is or will it automatically update at some point? I leave on Sunday.

I'm on my Google Pixel, 7 pro. Updated the app over the weekend.  No problems at all with the app, works as well as it did beforehand. 

Yes, my package dropped off, but when I click the Cruise Personalizer link on the )packages page of the app, it does then show that the package is purchased. 

My check-in info, Lane, cabin, boarding window, QR code, etc all the same as pre - update.. YMMV. 

Sailing Sunday 12th also, CB.  

2 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Is there one line that stands out in your mind that you like?

My point is, if you have one sailing each on 4 lines and 14 sailings on, lets pick Celebrity, then we can compare to that line. If however you have sailed 3 to 4 sailings on each line; meaning you are more interested in the itinerary than brand loyalty, then what I would say is Princess does a great gob of hitting the major ports, but their ships are too big for those smaller getaways.

I've been on the Regal and that was our impression. Size gives lots to do, but big and impersonal. Some like it that way. The buffet is amazing for size and selection! No Promenade deck to walk off the calories though.

11 Royal Caribbean (Diamond)

3 Carnival

2 Celebrity

1 Norwegian

1 Premier (now defunct)

Oddly enough, Norwegian is my current favorite.  Sailed on the Jewel earlier this year on a re-po up the west coast and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Royal has been disappointing lately.  Even though I get good perks, the food quality has seriously declined and the service is just... meh.  Zero desire to try Icon... it's just TOO big and looks to be child-centric.  I thoroughly enjoyed Celebrity but haven't been on one since 2008 so it might not be as good as I remember.  Would love to try Edge or one of her sister ships but it's tough to get away from the convenience of Galveston's 4-hour drive from home.  Same goes for Virgin.  It's on my to-do list but the mainly-shorter voyages, higher prices and limited departure ports are a tough sell.

So I would say that I'm not really stuck on brand loyalty OR itinerary.  I'm more about the experience onboard, which I'm sincerely hoping Princess does better than their customer service ashore!

Anyway... sorry for hijacking this thread.  

19 minutes ago, vulcan97 said:

11 Royal Caribbean (Diamond)

... it's tough to get away from the convenience of Galveston's 4-hour drive from home.

Bringing it back to the topic, you sound like someone who is tech savvy and if there is a problem, several here can advise about the App. But do what you can on the web based version pre-cruise, less wonky.

We are one-and-done on RCL and a long time ago so can't advise. Princess used to be similar to Celebrity, but now, I don't know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

But do what you can on the web based version pre-cruise, less wonky.

I think "wonky" is the perfect description of the Princess app.  Lol.

I *really* hope it works better onboard than it does ashore.  🤞

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, vulcan97 said:

We have experience on the entry level lines, Carnival (27) NCL (8) RCI (7) MSC (2).  As well as upgraded Celebrity (7) Princess (4).

Each of the groupings are more similar than different.  They all have their pluses and minuses.  Comparing Celebrity and Princess, the Edge Class on X is nice, but Princess brings the most value to us now comparing these six lines and we're really looking forward to the two Sphere Class ships coming out.  Because of this, we currently have 7 future cruises booked on Princess over the next 21 months.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 11:14 AM, vulcan97 said:

Boarding in 13 days and now my app is being weird (Galaxy A51, updated).  Had the accessibility mode locked-in issue... fixed it by revising the accessibility settings.  Then suddenly I can't log in with my username and password at all.  Get a message that says "We're sorry, our servers are having problems.  Please try again later."  Logging in with my name, booking number and birthday works... for now. 🙄

My first Princess cruise... extremely underwhelmed by both the customer service and the app so far.  I don't get how Carnival's app is so good and Princess' is so poor.  Just use the Carnival app and change the logos!

I was not able to use the app until after I boarded using my Galaxy A52.

Everything I needed to do simply made a list and called Princess. 

We are on the Emerald Princess now and my android phone works fine, as does my husband's phone and my son's phone. My son had trouble with the app before boarding , but was able to solve the problem by using the web version to check in. Now on board all is well. 

We just disembarked from the Emerald.  My android glalaxy phone now will not even load the ap.  It just sits there spinning.  Looking at upgrading my galaxy 9+ to a later model.  I am still amazed that Carnival which we will be on in January and the RCL ap which we will be on in February works fine but not the "wonderful" Princess ap.  My suggestion is to get Carnival's IT to design a working ap for Princess.  

11 hours ago, satxdiver said:

My suggestion is to get Carnival's IT to design a working ap for Princess.  

I had that exact same thought.  Lol.

Sounds like it's really hit or miss.

I don't know if this problem exists fleet-wide or is just on the Emerald but I embark the Regal in two days.  I'm going to take my daily-use Android for general internet usage and my partner's old iPhone that I reset and loaded with only the Princess app, Messenger and Chrome.

Hopefully that alleviates most issues

On 11/4/2023 at 11:50 PM, satxdiver said:

On the Emerald now and went down to the IT "grurus" and they told me that the Princess app works on iphones but no android which I have.  After fooling around on my androids their final answer is that there are "bugs' yet to be worked out on androids since it was written for iphones!  So if you have an android forget using the princess on ship app!!  My Carnival and RCL apps work just fine but not the Princess app.  Maybe it is time to fire their app team and hire a Carnival team!

BTW I am getting 2.6 MB down and 0.9 up.  What happened to to starlink?  

I have used the app on my Samsung Galaxy Android phones for several cruises. How old is your device?

On 11/17/2023 at 8:17 PM, Buckeye10640 said:

I have used the app on my Samsung Galaxy Android phones for several cruises. How old is your device?

S9+ with google 10.  The old ap worked on my cellphone but I decided to download the latest version and that is when the problem started .  Sailed on the Ruby 4/2/2023 and it worked.  It all started when I downloaded the latest ap just before boarding the Emerald on 11/4/2023.  If yours works do not download an update!  Friday I ordered a S23+ with google 13 so tomorrow when it comes I will see how the ap works on the newest Samsung.  

7 hours ago, hapster85 said:

Had zero problems using the app on my Android phone back in June. Whoever told you that does not know what they're talking about. Both versions have bugs, by the way. 😉

Just off the Emerald and had no problems with the app even after doing the upgrade

• Like 1