Live working aboard Celebrity Beyond transatlantic

DBaines30

If anyone is interested I'm currently working on the Retreat sun deck and thought the speed test would be helpful to someone planning the same. Currently bang in the middle of the Atlantic, I think. 

4.79 and 2.88. Teams worked well in the cabin earlier with some latency and arounbd 10% dropped packets. 

All seems to be fine for an office in the sunshine.

image.thumb.png.51ca493023d394901a316efb7d7d63f5.png 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

We board her on the 13th, how has the food been?

Don't want to jump on the Celebrity hating bandwagon but it has noticeably gone downhill.

We were on Beyond a year or so ago and things are very different.

Buffet food is really cold and bland now. The breakfast sausages which I usually love are not any better than value brand bought from a cheap supermarket.

Eden for lunch is a poor reflection of what it used to be. The tuna pita I had yesterday was half of a very small pita.

Petite Chef wasn't great. Why does tough as hell shot rib get put on a plate with fillet beef?

Eden for dinner was outstanding, so make sure you book for that. We have 3 more specialty dining bookings to come.

3 minutes ago, DBaines30 said:

Don't want to jump on the Celebrity hating bandwagon but it has noticeably gone downhill.

We were on Beyond a year or so ago and things are very different.

Buffet food is really cold and bland now. The breakfast sausages which I usually love are not any better than value brand bought from a cheap supermarket.

Eden for lunch is a poor reflection of what it used to be. The tuna pita I had yesterday was half of a very small pita.

Petite Chef wasn't great. Why does tough as hell shot rib get put on a plate with fillet beef?

Eden for dinner was outstanding, so make sure you book for that. We have 3 more specialty dining bookings to come.

We have Eden and the steakhouse  booked. We were on Beyond last November however we were in a suite. So Luminae was great.  This time just have balcony so thinking dinner in the dining rooms may not be so great. Keep me posted!

My wife and I are currently in the Beyond in a lovely Sunset Veranda cabin on deck 9.  Here are my thoughts on the cruise so far:

- Service is uniformly excellent across the ship

- Food in the main dining for dinner seems consistent with my many Celebrity cruises over the year - typically good with the occasional hit or miss.  Perhaps the selection is not as good as in the past, but still usually I can find something I am excited about.

- We have had lunch in the Oceanview a few times and there are plenty of choices and food is pretty good.  Sometimes it can be difficult to find seating.

- Our meal in Fine Cut was a mixed bag.  We loved the salad, appetizers and desserts. The mains were not great; in fact the first Prime Rib they served me was unrecognizable as such; the second try was better but still unsatisfactory.  
- Dinner in Eden was superior on every aspect!  We are booked there again.

- We are enjoying the drinks by the pool bar.  The bartenders there are great; our favorite is named Mark.

- We have the Premium internet package.  It is fantastic and by far the best we have ever experienced on a cruise ship!

After reading many comments in the Celebrity forum that the sky is falling, I am puzzled.   We are really enjoying the cruise.

Edited by slewis7
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

58 minutes ago, slewis7 said:

My wife and I are currently in the Beyond in a lovely Sunset Veranda cabin on deck 9.  Here are my thoughts on the cruise so far:

- Food in the main dining for dinner seems consistent with my many Celebrity cruises over the year - typically good with the occasional hit or miss.  Perhaps the selection is not as good as in the past, but still usually I can find something I am excited about.

- We have had lunch in the Oceanview a few times and there are plenty of choices and food is pretty good.  Sometimes it can be difficult to find seating.

- Our meal in Fine Cut was a mixed bag.  We loved the salad, appetizers and desserts. The mains were not great; in fact the first Prime Rib they served me was unrecognizable as such; the second try was better but still unsatisfactory.  

- We are enjoying the drinks by the pool bar.  The bartenders there are great; our favorite is named Mark.

- We have the Premium internet package.  It is fantastic and by far the best we have ever experienced on a cruise ship!

After reading many comments in the Celebrity forum that the sky is falling, I am puzzled.   We are really enjoying the cruise.

Thank you for taking the time out of your vacation to post this.  So many comments in the Celebrity Forum are negative and from people who have not sailed and are making assumptions.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, slewis7 said:

Thanks for the balanced review. Good to hear as we're on Beyond next April. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the post, looking forward to the Beyond being back over in the Caribbean. We sail on her in February/March for 21 days. That’s after jumping off Ascent. 😀

Sailed on Beyond for a B2B last winter and the only issue I had was the bar service at the Sunset Bar. Very poor. We called the servers walking around swoopers! They would swoop your glass away and not ask if they could get you anything else. That’s when they showed up. 😩

I do love the Sunset Bar area! 🍸

Overall though we did enjoy the sail. 

Cheers! 

2 hours ago, Shellyd22 said:

How does the premium internet handle video calls? Hoping to video message with my daughter via fb messenger while on board Beyond next year!

FaceTime works perfect for me with the Premium so would expect no problem wihh FB Messenger.  I've also done numerous Zoom Calls

• Thanks 1