Mediterranean itinerary guidance

PhillyTravelBug

Our group had an amazing cruise doing Northern Europe over the summer and now looking to book the Mediterranean for September 2025 cruise. Anyone that has experience have any advice, greatly appreciated.  I’m open to the entire region and have nowhere I specifically need to see. We are trying to decide between the following three, sailing on the Breakaway and the Pearl. The most important feature of a ship we care about is the thermal spa. I’ve sailed the getaway and think it’s identical to the breakaway spa. Appreciate all opinions.

IMG_3873.jpeg

IMG_1430.jpeg

IMG_1438.jpeg

All are good cruise itineraries on their own (especially if this is your first time in Europe).Given the cost and hassle involved in flying to Europe, I would select the longer   Eleven day itinerary.

Edited by RD64
Spelling
  • Like 3

We did a 9-night "Venice" - Athens trip on Viva in September. LOVED the ship, but we weren't a fan of a port a day as it was so rushed and we found ourselves on busses every day. Next time we'd opt for at least one/two days at sea (which we ended up having because we had to skip Mykonos due to a strike in Athens), or not bother with an excursion at every stop.

I would go with the R/T Barcelona.  Airfare back to the states is much easier ( usually non-stop)  and more comfortable.  Flying back from Athens or Venice can be  more expensive due to the fact that you will be traveling on different airlines ( definitely not non-stop or direct flights).  Something to consider, I once found a repositioning cruise from Barcelona to NY that was way cheaper than airfare back to the States. Might be a nice way to unwind after your main cruise If you dont mind adding another 10 days-ish).

I would also start with the round trip out of Barcelona.  The itinerary is a great coverage for the Western Mediterranean.  The other itineraries are great too, but more complicated travel logistics.  If looking at cruises to/from Venice (Trieste), be sure you're up to speed on what it means.  Trieste is quite a distance from Venice and involves getting some form of transportation between the two if you're going to actually want to see or stay in Venice as part of the trip.  I would keep it simple for your first Med cruise.  All these cruises are great itineraries and you won't go wrong with any of them.

• Like 3

We're doing the exact itinerary next September as the Barcelona r/t, except we embark and disembark in Rome.

Obviosly, that would be our choice.

As stated earlier, Venice/Trieste can be a hassle and airfares and flights are more complicated. We're flying nonstop (both ways between O'Hare and Rome) using miles, and the number of miles was surprisingly low. I would assume that r/t to and from Barcelona would be similar.

Edited by schmoopie17

Just to add that IF the thermal spa is indeed the most important feature for you, I would take one of the Breakaway sailings.  The spa on the Pearl is much smaller.

I also echo the sentiment of looking into the repositioning cruises.  If you can afford the time, they are fantastic and will likely be cheaper with only one flight across the pond.

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I would also start with the round trip out of Barcelona.  The itinerary is a great coverage for the Western Mediterranean.  The other itineraries are great too, but more complicated travel logistics.  If looking at cruises to/from Venice (Trieste), be sure you're up to speed on what it means.  Trieste is quite a distance from Venice and involves getting some form of transportation between the two if you're going to actually want to see or stay in Venice as part of the trip.  I would keep it simple for your first Med cruise.  All these cruises are great itineraries and you won't go wrong with any of them.

I would second this. We did our very first cruise roundtrip out of Barcelona for our 25th anniversary. And 10 years later, we did a very similar cruise again out of Barcelona as an anniversary celebration. 

37 minutes ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

We would be using NCL air if that makes any difference. We flew into Reykjavik and left out of London using NCL and didn’t encounter any issues.

We were on the cruise before yours, so we flew into London and out of Reykjavik.

Were both of your flights non-stop? We flew to London (from Newark) by way of Montreal. That would not have been that bad except our first flight was delayed and then had to wait for a parking space in Montreal. We ended up running to our gate in Montreal and the line for boarding had already begun, (not really NCL's fault except they could have found non-stop as we have done that flight that way previously.)

We did fly back to Newark non-stop, but again the flight was delayed, and also had the worst boarding process we have ever experienced. (Again, not NCL's fault) And there were some on our roll call who used the BOGO air who were assigned a flight the next day despite morning flights out of Reykjavik that could have been assigned since we were docked there the day before.

BTW, what airlines did they assign to you? We went to London on Air Canada and back from Iceland on Iceland Air.

I also agree with RT from Barcelona, go in a day or two early as Barcelona is a wonderful do it yourself place to see!

Also understand that Pisa and Rome are a good 90 minute bus ride from the port depending on traffic, and you only get a small glimpse of these wonderful places but still worth it!

We lovingly refer to our Rome port of Call as "Clark Griswold excursion"  Look, see leave for next thing to see! But we hit all the highlights of Rome in the 10 hours we had in port, ideal no but we can say we have been there!

We also did this cruise in Sept thinking less kids, crowds and cooler but it wasn't the case!  I was so surprised by how many kids were on the cruise, how super crowded all sights were and it was soooo hot! But as said is was a great trip!

• Like 1

1.  I would vote for your 3rd option - the 11 day option (Barcelona - Venice) as I think it has more variety in ports, with good European flights  in and out (Barcelona and Venice)
  2.  My second place would be the return trip Barcelona - it is similar to our first ever cruise (many years ago, and happens to be our only NCL to date). Can't go wrong itinerary and flight options should be good.
  3.  I would place the Venice to Athens one last, although oddly we just did that a similar one on HAL and loved it. I placed it last, as the ports in the other itineraries are generally more "bucket-list-y" if there are any first timers in the group, and flying back from Athens a bit more of a pain.

Good luck in your planning!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We were on the cruise before yours, so we flew into London and out of Reykjavik.

Were both of your flights non-stop? We flew to London (from Newark) by way of Montreal. That would not have been that bad except our first flight was delayed and then had to wait for a parking space in Montreal. We ended up running to our gate in Montreal and the line for boarding had already begun, (not really NCL's fault except they could have found non-stop as we have done that flight that way previously.)

We did fly back to Newark non-stop, but again the flight was delayed, and also had the worst boarding process we have ever experienced. (Again, not NCL's fault) And there were some on our roll call who used the BOGO air who were assigned a flight the next day despite morning flights out of Reykjavik that could have been assigned since we were docked there the day before.

BTW, what airlines did they assign to you? We went to London on Air Canada and back from Iceland on Iceland Air.

we were on Icelandic air and connected in Boston.  On the way back we were on air Canada and connected in Montreal. Both parts were delayed, but thankfully we had a long enough layover it actually was a benefit.

16 minutes ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

We managed to narrow it down to two. Epic and Breakaway. Changed slightly from original. 

IMG_1438.jpeg

IMG_1446.jpeg

By only a small margin based on personal port preference, I would vote for the first one (from  Barcelona) assuming there is not a ship preference.

Both look great though. Is your group accepting applications for new members? LOL 😃

Edited by rodndonna
  • Haha 2

Between these 2, I'd flip a coin.  I like the Breakaway better than the Epic.  Both are fantastic itineraries.  I guess I would decide how much you want to visit the classic Greek ports vs. Dubrovnik and Venice.  I would also probably only do the one ending in Trieste if you can also spend 2-3 days in Venice afterward.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Between these 2, I'd flip a coin.  I like the Breakaway better than the Epic.  Both are fantastic itineraries.  I guess I would decide how much you want to visit the classic Greek ports vs. Dubrovnik and Venice.  I would also probably only do the one ending in Trieste if you can also spend 2-3 days in Venice afterward.

thank you. We will do time before and after, but may only be a day on each end. It would make sense to do the Rome arrival and departure, but would be nice to see Croatia too. Appreciate the advice.

Do you want to see Rome? Like really see Rome and not only mad dash there for a 10 hour excursion out of which you’ll only have 6-7 hours to spend in Rome. If so you need to take the rt Rome cruise. If Rome is something you are happy to just see very quickly or even not see at all I’d choose the breakaway. 

On 11/12/2023 at 1:32 PM, European_CruiseGirl said:

Do you want to see Rome? Like really see Rome and not only mad dash there for a 10 hour excursion out of which you’ll only have 6-7 hours to spend in Rome. If so you need to take the rt Rome cruise. If Rome is something you are happy to just see very quickly or even not see at all I’d choose the breakaway. 

May be nice to do the round trip from Rome and have the two days before and after sailing.

5 hours ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

May be nice to do the round trip from Rome and have the two days before and after sailing.

Just a note---if you use the BOGO air with a deviation, they will only take you from the airport. (There might be an exception if you book your hotel through them, not sure, but believe there is.)

Basically do you want to see Rome or Barcelona and Venice. For a first time to this area I would do the Rome round trip and spend time in Rome.  Barcelona and Venice are both amazing places we keep going back to, but neither have the coliseum (book a tour).

• Like 1