Iona Vs Brittania

Scirocco Breeze

I'm looking for a European cruise next year and one of the options is on Iona, the other is Brittania. I'm nervous of the sheer size of Iona, but also I've just read on another thread that there was no ballroom dancing...one of our favourite things to do! Does anyone know whether there is ballroom dancing on Brittania? And any other pros or cons of each? 

44 minutes ago, david63 said:

The only "ballroom" dancing that I have seen on Britannia has been in the atrium

Not seen any ballroom dancing in the atrium on Britannia? 

The Crystal Rooms were initially a ballroom dancing venue, although now used for a lot of other things as well. 

Andy 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, purplesea said:

There was ballroom dancing taking place on Britannia in September.

Agree, every night in the Crystal room , 1st  September  sailing , we would walk through and there was ballroom dancing,  some fine dancers too. 

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 2

Ive cruised on Iona and Britannia

Would prefer the extra facilities and entertainment on Iona over Britannia every time

But totally  understand for those people who want ballroom dancing that Iona want  work for them

I guess this does show that Iona is aimed at a younger demographic overall

Having said that Strictly is so popular nowadays on TV that  you kind of think there might be a place for opportunities to dance and/or learn ballroom on the bigger ships as well - even for younger demographics

My wife and I are mid 50s and would be interested in opportunities to learn on the bigger ships

My observation on previous cruises is the people who ballroom dance etc all tend  to be experienced and know what they are doing.

The same if you visit the ballroom at Blackpool Tower. And watch the dancing. They all  know what they are doing.

A chance for beginners to learn on the cruise ships would be nice 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Would prefer the extra facilities and entertainment on Iona over Britannia every time

But totally  understand for those people who want ballroom dancing that Iona want  work for them

Having said that Strictly is so popular nowadays on TV that  you kind of think there might be a place for opportunities to dance and/or learn ballroom on the bigger ships as well - even for younger demographics

My wife and I are mid 50s and would be interested in opportunities to learn on the bigger ships

My observation on previous cruises is the people who ballroom dance etc all tend  to be experienced and know what they are doing.

The same if you visit the ballroom at Blackpool Tower. And watch the dancing. They all  know what they are doing.

You used to be able to learn on P&O. I remember on Oriana. You can learn on the Princess ships i.e. on Sky Princess recently. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Prior to the pandemic there was a link with Strictly and P&O when themed cruises regularly took place.  They were exceptionally popular, particularly those on Britannia.  The whole entertainment was worked around the theme with outfits, demonstrations of dance, talks and even a guest Strictly dance competition.  You could have dinner with the stars and pay for lessons.  Iona's inaugural season was actually pencilled in for 7 night Strictly cruises, although as we now know ballroom dancing onboard her is virtually zero.

All of the ships offered ballroom dancing with a demonstration by professional dancers on most cruises and the opportunity to have dancing lessons from these professionals on offer.  Unfortunately the move towards non traditional cruising has led to their apparent demise.

Cunard, known for the ballrooms on their ships, have in recent times threatened the removal of their dance hosts and professionals but following an outcry from their very loyal ballroom dancing passengers are having to think again.

Unfortunately the new identity and drive to "modernise" by adding pay restaurants, extra bars etc thereby turning ships into entertainment palaces rather than "old fashioned" is going to remove the ballroom dancing in the not too distant future. Sadly it will become a victim of the requirement for every space on a ship to "earn" its place, no chance of money across the bar while couples are up on their feet dancing, much better to have them seated watching and drinking.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Prior to the pandemic there was a link with Strictly and P&O when themed cruises regularly took place.  They were exceptionally popular, particularly those on Britannia.  The whole entertainment was worked around the theme with outfits, demonstrations of dance, talks and even a guest Strictly dance competition.  You could have dinner with the stars and pay for lessons.  Iona's inaugural season was actually pencilled in for 7 night Strictly cruises, although as we now know ballroom dancing onboard her is virtually zero.

All of the ships offered ballroom dancing with a demonstration by professional dancers on most cruises and the opportunity to have dancing lessons from these professionals on offer.  Unfortunately the move towards non traditional cruising has led to their apparent demise.

Cunard, known for the ballrooms on their ships, have in recent times threatened the removal of their dance hosts and professionals but following an outcry from their very loyal ballroom dancing passengers are having to think again.

Unfortunately the new identity and drive to "modernise" by adding pay restaurants, extra bars etc thereby turning ships into entertainment palaces rather than "old fashioned" is going to remove the ballroom dancing in the not too distant future. Sadly it will become a victim of the requirement for every space on a ship to "earn" its place, no chance of money across the bar while couples are up on their feet dancing, much better to have them seated watching and drinking.

Yes I get that it's all about money and income streams

I would pay for the opportunity to learn  to dance on a cruise ship holiday

But can't speak for others of course

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Yes I get that it's all about money and income streams

I would pay for the opportunity to learn  to dance on a cruise ship holiday

But can't speak for others of course

Many did pay, particularly the Strictly cruises - I cannot dance very well but paid £150 to have a half hour lesson with Gorka!  However, joking apart the lessons were provided by the professional dancers who were part of the entertainment. They like a lot of the other entertainers were not salaried and any money paid to learn to dance was not going into P&O's coffers but rightly to the skilled professional.  The drive for the cruise lines to keep any money guests part with is what is leading the drive to remove these "unpaid" staff - not just the dancers, remember the people talking about the art and craft classes, bridge classes etc? Most of these were provided by non salaried staff and things are changing. The theme now seems to be the cruise lines want to earn from these types of activities.  It is clear that professional dancers don't feature very high up the list and as such won't feature much going forward, victims of the "new cruiser" ideal.  Strictly or not the cruise lines seem to be of the opinion that the new cruise demographic would find ballroom dancing boring.  They aren't going to have a 7 or14 night cruise paying someone for one or two performances and the professionals (which would be needed to teach a very complex and sophisticated art) would not I'm sure be happy to have to undertake other duties.

Think Hi Di Hi and Barry and Yvonne Stewart Hargreaves if you like!!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

Ditto learning bridge.  Not that I'm interested but again appears to be for the experienced players.

Maybe I should lead the charge for a D&D-esque and board game room.

Bridge for beginners featured when I first started cruising. Unfortunately as the offering became rarer and unhosted it became the preserve of the experienced player.

The last vestige of learning the art of Bridge on any ship I've sailed since the pandemic now appears to be on Cunard, along with the jigsaw puzzles and board games, particularly on QM2 in the dedicated areas for such.  I'd welcome a board game room on P&O ships even if in a rarely used space on just a few days.  A great way to have fun.

We took Carcassonne to play, needed one of the larger tables for that.  Did a couple of escape room games but they are one time play.  As I said in a previous thread we left a couple of the one time play but replayable by others in the library on Iona.  It was good to see a family making use of it.  

A sea day gives you the time to actually play one properly, just a shame they are bulky.

Edited by Red Leicester
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

On our recent Arcadia 24 day cruise there was ballroom dance instructors, they held lessons on sea days (weather permitting) in the Retreat. I think there was also line dancing, led by members of the Headliners.

Edited by AlexMcSpot

1 hour ago, Amelia Noylam said:

On the Azura in October this year they had ballroom lessons, line dancing and keep fit.

Just noted on my cruise planner for Britannia it tells me dance lessons will be available.  Hopefully proper ones not the Strictly fitness class we've had for the past two years.

• Like 1

I love the dance lessons on Britannia and also their cookery school - and actually the ship in general. For me, Britannia still has elements of the “classic cruising experience” with a bit of class but not too stuffy etc. Whereas Iona comes across as slightly tacky, slightly low-budget/cheap, cruising for the masses…..and that’s fine for what it is. That said, I do enjoy Iona when not in the main school holidays

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Camberley said:

I love the dance lessons on Britannia and also their cookery school - and actually the ship in general. For me, Britannia still has elements of the “classic cruising experience” with a bit of class but not too stuffy etc. Whereas Iona comes across as slightly tacky, slightly low-budget/cheap, cruising for the masses…..and that’s fine for what it is. That said, I do enjoy Iona when not in the main school holidays

So it's not the ship that concerns you, but the clientele??

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

So it's not the ship that concerns you, but the clientele??

Sometimes it is a small portion of the clientele and how they behave. Absolutely. Similarly, with some dreadful behaviour on more expensive cruise lines. But the ship itself is key to our enjoyment

Edited by Camberley

You should try speaking and getting to know some of us new clientele, we might not speak proper and know all the unwritten etiquette but we're not three bad.  You might actually quite like us given a chance.  Well not me, I'm not normal and thoroughly unsociable.  But others could become your new best buddy.

Think of it like a training course at work with the inevitable "Over the next two weeks speak to at least three people you don't know..."

Edited by Red Leicester
  • Like 3

We had ballroom dancing in the Crystal Room on Britannia this June. There were dance classes taken by international dance duo - they also gave a couple of exhibition displays in the evenings. The couple usually compèred the dance sessions in the evenings (occasionally ents team did this). The music was recorded but unfortunately none of the evening dance sessions had a live band. Having said that Britannia’s Crystal room is much better than the atrium style dancing that happens on some ships. 

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ranchi said:

We had ballroom dancing in the Crystal Room on Britannia this June. There were dance classes taken by international dance duo - they also gave a couple of exhibition displays in the evenings. The couple usually compèred the dance sessions in the evenings (occasionally ents team did this). The music was recorded but unfortunately none of the evening dance sessions had a live band. Having said that Britannia’s Crystal room is much better than the atrium style dancing that happens on some ships. 

The crystal room had a very good group with an excellent vocalist playing for the evening dancing during Britannias first season. But it seems to have suffered from P&Os cutbacks since then.