Chromecast

bavarder

49 minutes ago, bavarder said:

I'm not sure if this has been dicussed before, but are the stateroom tv's equipped with HDMI ports, allowing for a chromecast device to be used?

I'm sailing on Koningsdam next month.

The topic has been discussed multiple times in the last several months, and the general consensus is that you cannot access and use the hdmi ports on the cabin tv sets. I am certain that other more tech savvy members will chime in with all of the technical details.

I haven't sailed since last year, so it's possible that the mounting of the TVs has changed to make it possible to get to an HDMI port, but the remote they provide is a simple aftermarket unit, like this, and there is no way to change the TV input from the network connection it uses to an HDMI port. I have been unable to find any manual controls on the TV itself.

TV remote.jpg

Edited by IPB4IGO

48 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

I haven't sailed since last year, so it's possible that the mounting of the TVs has changed to make it possible to get to an HDMI port, but the remote they provide is a simple aftermarket unit, like this, and there is no way to change the TV input from the network connection it uses to an HDMI port. I have been unable to find any manual controls on the TV itself.

TV remote.jpg

You may be able to bring a universal remote and try to change the source if it's an active port. 

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

As I mentioned on another thread if you need streaming TV perhaps cruising isn't the vacation for you. Keep in mind you are at the mercy of the ship's satellite service. Leave the TV at home you're on vacation.

I agree with you Blackduck, but I understand that some people can't relax without the background noise. People also say "leave the phone at home" (or in the safe) and probably the minority bring a computer with them.

I don't even know what ChromeCast IS -- we do not have a TV in the house! But if it uses bandwidth, the OP should be happy to know that all of the fleet will have StarLink service by the end of this year.

• Like 1

I have had a mixed bag of luck using the HDMI ports on the stateroom TVs.  I have been successful on Koningsdam, Rotterdam, Noordam and Oosterdam.  Recently on the Westerdam, no luck.  In most cases, as soon as I sent a signal to the HDMI port it took over.  We didn't use a Universal remote or anything.  It can be hard to reach the HDMI ports depending on how the TVs are mounted.  A stiff cable and slender hands contribute to success.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, cruisn71 said:

I have had a mixed bag of luck using the HDMI ports on the stateroom TVs.  I have been successful on Koningsdam, Rotterdam, Noordam and Oosterdam.  Recently on the Westerdam, no luck.  In most cases, as soon as I sent a signal to the HDMI port it took over.  We didn't use a Universal remote or anything.  It can be hard to reach the HDMI ports depending on how the TVs are mounted.  A stiff cable and slender hands contribute to success.

When was the last time you successfully used a HAL TV HDMI to display anything?  My last time was 6 years ago...everything is locked down now - regardless of whether you can reach the port.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

When was the last time you successfully used a HAL TV HDMI to display anything?  My last time was 6 years ago...everything is locked down now - regardless of whether you can reach the port.  

On the Rotterdam in April this year.  Oosterdam was over Christmas 2022.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, IPB4IGO said:

TV remote.jpg

We were on the Koingsdam last week doing a California Coastal cruise and this was our TV remote. We had a number of live TV channels but the two ESPN channels would not connect and I was told by guest services they were blacked out on our cruise. We wanted to watch the College Football game.  We found with the premium Wi-Fi we could use our tablets to watch ESPN and the game. I also could stream FUBO on my laptop.

9 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

As I mentioned on another thread if you need streaming TV perhaps cruising isn't the vacation for you. Keep in mind you are at the mercy of the ship's satellite service. Leave the TV at home you're on vacation.

Agreed! It is always annoying to go into a room where the previous occupant has been mucking about with the settings.  The staff are not paid to restore TV settings. It is just short of vandalism 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Please don't be so judgemental.  Your idea of cruising may not be the same as someone else's. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2023 at 3:15 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Actually, we are not on vacation. I have been retired for over 30 years and have sailed on over 50 cruises. Cruising is just an extension of our daily life and how we do it is our business.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, billco said:

Actually, we are not on vacation. I have been retired for over 30 years and have sailed on over 50 cruises. Cruising is just an extension of our daily life and how we do it is our business.

And you resurrected this long done thread why?

Thanks for your input, leave me out of it in future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billco said:

I have to agree.  Old thread or not, it gets annoying people telling me "you are on vacation" when we absolutely are not.  There are 6-8 month periods when we are away far longer than we are at home, and that time would look very similar to when we are home. We don't eat any more, drink any more or have that many different daily routines, except in a different part of the world.  Which often include, BTW, television. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

And even if you ARE on vacation, you're not doing it wrong just because you're not doing it the way some internet jockey says you should.

In different seasons of my life, I may find various things relaxing over another. There have been trips where I just wanted to binge watch something, and that was relaxing to me at the time. Other trips, I didn’t want to miss a moment in a new port of call. On one land trip to the mountains, I found cooking my favorite foods relaxing.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter what anyone else thinks I should or shouldn’t do.😀

• Like 3

Let me clarify my position on this thread as there seems to be a bunch of newcomers to this thread that feel the need to scold me for my opinion, First the comment was made some time ago and someone decided they needed to scold me for it, then someone else thought they should call me names and accuse me of telling them how to spend their cruise.

Let's be clear, this thread was started by someone looking for tips on how to tamper with ship's equipment to hook up a personal device. Just leave the ship's fixtures alone, they are above your pay grade. 

Now anyone else who feels the need to scold me or call me names, remember I didn't tell anyone how to spend their time on the cruise, and my opinion hasn't changed, 

This thread was dead lets let it fade away again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1