dress code for men in MDR

sun&sea

13 minutes ago, asctony said:

Totally surprised that shorts or Dress Code more comments than bare feet & no washing hands.

I guess looks are more important than health? 

I couldn't tell you who washes or doesn't wash their hands. What others are wearing or not wearing is waaay above my paygrade. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Actually, thinking about it and going back almost 40 years I can't recall a single incident of anyone being told they needed to have a tie to eat in the DR- on Princess. 

That sounds like a restriction that you might have found on Cunard many years ago. 

We started cruising with the Sitmar Line in 1980 and all through the 1980s on that line and the old Costa line the dress code was followed by passengers with Sitmar having semi-formal nights which required coat and tie, on Formal nights you needed to a Tuxedo or a suit. We started cruising with Holland America in the early 90s and the dress code on that line was adhered to by passengers, we started noticing a change in the mid 90s with a turn to more casual wear and now we are at the point where when you see someone in a suit or tux they are really an exception. 

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Actually, thinking about it and going back almost 40 years I can't recall a single incident of anyone being told they needed to have a tie to eat in the DR- on Princess. 

That sounds like a restriction that you might have found on Cunard many years ago. 

You got me thinking back to the early 80s, and I recall men needing to wear a jacket in the MDR on formal nights, but also do not recall anyone enforcing a tie requirement.  At one time, we recall some cruise lines actually having some extra jackets at the door, for men to borrow if they did not have a jacket.  I cannot recall if this happened on Celebrity or Princess (after 17 cruise lines they all run together).

Hank

24 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We started cruising with the Sitmar Line in 1980 and all through the 1980s on that line and the old Costa line the dress code was followed by passengers with Sitmar having semi-formal nights which required coat and tie, on Formal nights you needed to a Tuxedo or a suit.

Same with Matson Lines. But that was in the 1950s and I was just a boy. 
Thank heavens we all don’t have to do THAT any longer!!  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I wasn’t cruising Princess 40 years ago, but I can’t recall seeing anyone without at least a suit and tie on formal night even on Carnival in the 80’s. Celebrity was the same at least until the early 2000’s.

Times have changed and so has the attitude toward cruising. As it’s gotten much cheaper and less of a luxury, it’s also gotten more casual. Air travel is similar.

Seeing formal wear on cruises out of US ports effectively ended when cruise lines stopped offering tuxedo rentals. I think that was at least 10 years ago.

1 minute ago, Torfamm said:

Seeing formal wear on cruises out of US ports effectively ended when cruise lines stopped offering tuxedo rentals.

My husbands last tux rental was 51 years ago and he said they'll be the last time, unless I dress him up in the funeral home.

But I won't. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

My husbands last tux rental was 51 years ago and he said they'll be the last time, unless I dress him up in the funeral home.

But I won't. 😄

When I retired my ties were also retired. It was a package deal

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/24/2023 at 4:16 AM, MissP22 said:

I'm still unsure why Princess hasn't changed their written policy about wearing shorts in the DR since they're tolerated even on formal evenings.

Simple.

Once you dumb down the "official" policy, that creates a new dress code 'floor' and then you end up with people trying to push the new policy down further with fat, bare chested and hairy backed men wearing speedos and females wearing dental floss showing up.

I'm sure I'm in the minority of couples, in that I prefer dressing up more than my wife does, but I don't allow others apparel to ruin my evening.  Seeing somebody with a ballcap or shorts isn't going to spoil my dinner or get me upset in any fashion, but I wasn't raised for it to be acceptable to wear a ballcap at a meal, unless it was McDonalds.

Edited by Stosh68
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

But I won't. 😄

I can remember renting them for my teenage sons on a Celebrity cruise around 2000. It was really convenient. As adults today, I’m pretty sure they won’t ever see a reason to own a tuxedo 

Edited by Torfamm

Just now, memoak said:

My husband threw his in a burning barrel of leaves. 😄

I told him to save just one for special occasions and not one has arisen since his retirement. 

• Haha 1

My husband threw his in a burning barrel of leaves. 😄

I told him to save just one for special occasions and not one has arisen since his retirement. 

Mine all went to the Goodwill. And no I didn’t save any

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stosh68 said:

Once you dumb down the "official" policy, that creates a new dress code 'floor' and then you end up with people trying to push the new policy down further with fat, bare chested and hairy backed men wearing speedos and females wearing dental floss showing up.

I can't see how it could possible be any more casual. I'd love to see some photo's of those people. 

I can't see how it could possible be any more casual. I'd love to see some photo's of those people. 

Don’t have any pics but just loved the woman who came to breakfast straight from the gym without showering dripping sweat 

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Obviously it was a bit of hyperbole on my part for humor, but I don't doubt that if they offically dropped the dress code to shorts, it won't just be "nice" shorts and cargo pants, it will be ripped dungaree cutoffs and booty shorts with tank tops and ripped tshirts that create the next level of outrage.

While I prefer to sail on lines and sailings that don't cater to the the age range that might dress like that, I've shared ports of call with other cruise lines where I wonder if people shower or bring any change of clothes at all.

• Like 1

The last time I wore a monkey suit was to my wedding in 1986, and will likely  never again.

do own a suit and tie, but only use it for weddings and funerals. I won't even be buried in it, I'll have myself cremated and the ashes buried in a simple urn.

Thank God I didn't go cruising until after all this nonsense went away.

3 minutes ago, Stosh68 said:

Obviously it was a bit of hyperbole on my part for humor, but I don't doubt that if they offically dropped the dress code to shorts, it won't just be "nice" shorts and cargo pants, it will be ripped dungaree cutoffs and booty shorts with tank tops and ripped tshirts that create the next level of outrage.

While I prefer to sail on lines and sailings that don't cater to the the age range that might dress like that, I've shared ports of call with other cruise lines where I wonder if people shower or bring any change of clothes at all.

What age group do you notice wearing outfits that are too casual for the MDR? I feel like I see many more people in their 50’s and 60’s, particularly men, who go beyond just choosing not to comply with the requested dress code and look like they are going to clean their garage.

• Like 1

Back in the day at my fraternity house we had a rule requiring a shirt at the dining room table, it was aimed directly at one of the members who liked to come to breakfast with just a pair of shorts on and nothing else. He was rather obese and we had decided we'd had enough of his man-boobs...

25 minutes ago, memoak said:

That's what it would be for me also, if I had to wear them to work all the time (i don't). My alarm clock would also be going under the sledge-hammer...

On 11/24/2023 at 10:53 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Princess seems to be reluctant to enforce much of anything for fear of receiving less than a 10 on the post cruise evaluation because the "ruined" someone's vacation.  In the absence of enforcement, chaos reigns.  Slovenly dress and behavior in the MDR, chair hogs, mobility devices blocking fire exit corridors, card players taking up tables in the buffet.  It's the new norm for Princess.  

The perfect storm of mass marketing to steerage.

It's sad to witness.

This is nothing new with Princess.  They have never enforced their own recommendations, in the MDR, or the pool area.  Every now and then you will have someone turned away in the MDR, but that is only on occasion, depending on the dining room manager.

On 11/23/2023 at 7:57 PM, sun&sea said:

We are elite, but we have not cruised for the past 2-3 years. Without everyone arguing about the dress code, can you please just tell me if dress shorts are allowed in the MDR for men? I am just referring to a nice button down shirt and dress shorts on regular days, not dress to impress nights. We will be on the Ruby 10 night Panama Canal in late January.

Thank you,

Janet

Contrary what you are being told(yes) In reality it is the one thing "NOT" allowed at night. It all depends on what the Maitre D allows. Some allow you dress literally like a slob, whereas others will somewhat enforce the dress code. You should at least pack at least 1-2 pairs of trousers to be on the safe side.