Please Help Me Understand OBC

jtwind

Hi All.  We booked through a travel agent and used an AMEX platinum card to pay for our trip.  The document from the agent shows that I get $50 OBC for my Windstar status, and the next line shows an additional amount of OBC.  Can I use this for tips?  Drinks?  Would any unused credit go back to the platinum card?  Thanks, in advance.

There are two kinds of OBC.

One is the OBC from Windstar - the OBC you get from Windstar including that based on your Yacht Club status, promotional OBC (from specials and such). That can't be used for gratuities and it's use it or lose it. 

The other is pre-paid credit. That's what you get from your TA. It's real money so it can pay gratuities and anything left at the end of the cruise is refunded to your card.

Somehow, we ended up with $600 of the first kind on our last cruise and had a hard time spending it all. We are 4-star so get laundry and internet included. We aren't big drinkers - 0 to 2 drinks a day and they had winery on board hosting complimentary wine tastings (apparently about a half-dozen cruises this year will have a winery doing this). And for the particular itinerary, we preferred doing our oelwn thing rather than excursions.

The question (in my mind, at least) is which of the two categories is the Amex Platinum?  That's a program between Amex and the cruise line, not the TA, so I suspect it will be treated like Windstar OBC.  [But Windstar is different – better – than other cruise lines I have booked with the Amex benefit, in that it already shows on my invoice for a 2025 cruise.  On other lines it never shows at all until you are onboard.]

Thanks for the responses.  Do you think the travel agent, Windstar, or both would be able to, with 99% certainty, tell me how much is in each category, and what they can be used for?  Somehow, I don't trust either would explain it correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

Both the travel agent and Windstar are telling us that none of the credits from the travel agent, American Express, or Windstar can be used for gratuities.  Does that sound right?  The travel agent also says that none of it is refundable.

From our experience that is true. We use AMEX Platinum and going on our 29 th with WS in three weeks. Your AMEX Plat. shows up on your reservation initially, as does all the other OBC from WS with your initial reservation. You use both or lose it all. It can not be used for the daily gratuities. It is used for the service charge on drinks and spa service. Your invoice is easy to read. Hope this is helpful. Happy Sailing

6 hours ago, jtwind said:

Both the travel agent and Windstar are telling us that none of the credits from the travel agent, American Express, or Windstar can be used for gratuities.  Does that sound right?  The travel agent also says that none of it is refundable.

I can only speak for TA provided OBC....on our Star Pride last month that definitely could not be applied against our gratuities.

• 5 weeks later...

There are 2 types of OBC.  OBC from WS promo cannot be used for tips.   It often surprises guests. It can be used for drinks, excursions, WiFi, store purchases. OBC from a TA might be used for tips. If it is a gift, it’s refundable. You can use it for anything. You can also get it back in cash or credit card.  How do know? look at your onboard account.  

I just got off a back to back cruise on Wind Star. I had a lot of Windstar OBC - all given by Windstar for various perks and loyalty benefits. It was definitely applied to the gratuities - although that has never happened before on any other sailing I have done.

• Thanks 1