Are ship activities dead?

KathyInSoCal

I’m a long-time cruiser who recently went on my first post-Covid cruise - it was also my first Norwegian cruise. I was shocked at the lack of ship-board activities! I’m used to daily bingos, multiple trivia challenges, singing contests, arts and crafts, specialty activities (glass blowing etc). There wasn’t even daily bingo, and the one I did go to ran just one game. So there was maybe 2 games on a 7 day cruise. I went to one advertised activity and it was a poorly copied half-sheet of paper at the front of the room - no help, not a real activity at all. Most of the stuff on the daily schedule was selling something (salon services, paintings, gambling). Before I cross Norwegian off my list for future cruises - are all ships like this post-Covid? 

1 hour ago, KathyInSoCal said:

I’m a long-time cruiser who recently went on my first post-Covid cruise - it was also my first Norwegian cruise. I was shocked at the lack of ship-board activities! I’m used to daily bingos, multiple trivia challenges, singing contests, arts and crafts, specialty activities (glass blowing etc). There wasn’t even daily bingo, and the one I did go to ran just one game. So there was maybe 2 games on a 7 day cruise. I went to one advertised activity and it was a poorly copied half-sheet of paper at the front of the room - no help, not a real activity at all. Most of the stuff on the daily schedule was selling something (salon services, paintings, gambling). Before I cross Norwegian off my list for future cruises - are all ships like this post-Covid? 

Dear KathyinSoCal,

I so sorry to read your experience post C-19 on a NCL ship.

We sail Cunard ship, our favorite QM2, two since our return to cruising and found the ship to be as active as in the past with the same activities offered and even more. On a Daily Programme that is well spelled out with times and locations given to us the evening before to review.

As a Cunarder for over 30+ years, we know and are aware that Days at Sea offer a more fuller list of activities from early morning to late past midnight. Port Days do offer some on board activities for those staying on board.

On our recent two sailing of 7 and 14 days, we did have all those activities you mentioned above.

"daily bingos, multiple trivia challenges,arts and crafts etc".. dance classes, deck walks, bridge classes, water colors etc and more.....

Yes, they also offered surcharge activities if you wanted to participate.

So, I really don't know why the Line offered a lack of activities as described.

Good Luck on any other bookings you may make.

6 hours ago, KathyInSoCal said:

I'm sorry NCL didn't have enough of the activities you expected on their cruise.  I have no idea if this is typical of their offerings.  I suspect not, but I'm not a Norwegian expert.

I know that Carnival has lots to do onboard.  Here's a newsletter from a typical sea day on my recent cruise:

20231113_102416.thumb.jpg.5664676e3b0afc1ae8b89fb1a734fc6a.jpg

Days in port had fewer activities, but that's to be expected.

I hope you find what you're looking for on future cruises.

The OP needs to cognizant that there are dozens of cruise lines, and each does their "own thing" when it comes to activities.  Lines like Disney and Carnival has lots of daily activities where other lines (especially the high end luxury lines) have few daytime activities.   

Hank

• Like 2

Post covid, certain activities were paced in their ramp up to return.  But in our four cruise experience on both RCCL and Celebrity since the '21 restart most of the normal on board activities have returned. (Bingo, trivia, glass blowing (Celebrity), etc.)

In general, just about everything with cruising has returned to "normal" since the restart - in particular the high rate of bookings!

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 1:41 PM, KathyInSoCal said:

NCL has become famous for cost cutting, and offering as little as possible in order to maximize profits

11 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

NCL has become famous for cost cutting, and offering as little as possible in order to maximize profits

Living in and around New York Harbor, hate to say this, We have never been attracted to their ships and even watching Cruise Ship Shows on Cable introducing different ship, not interested.

56 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Living in and around New York Harbor, hate to say this, We have never been attracted to their ships and even watching Cruise Ship Shows on Cable introducing different ship, not interested.

Agree.  NCL was my first cruise line (Sunward II) and remained our go to line for much of the 70s.  The last time we cruised on the line was when they still had the Norway (the old France) which was an amazing vessel.  When NCL decided to cheapen their product and promote the "Freestyle" thing, they lost us to RCI, Princess, Sitmar, and Celebrity.  Now, even though we have cruised on 16 different lines since our NCL days, we have never returned,,,although we have some interest in trying their Haven Suites.

Hank

On 11/26/2023 at 10:41 PM, KathyInSoCal said:

What ship & sailing?

What other lines have you sailed?

I have only done 5 NCL sailings, all in the last 5 years,  but there has always been several trivias, arts & crafts, etc. By I large I find their activities comparable to others. (tho admittedly our 1 & only Carnival cruise took it to a whole new level)

In almost 40 sailings over 20 years on most mainstream lines, I have only found 1 sailing that lacked activities--and that seemed to do more with the cruise director than the line. 

I suspect that might be the issue on your sailing--unless the whole activities staff got ill at the same time? Unlikely but possible in that environment.

Edited by KKB