THE SECRETS OF ELEVATING YOUR CRUISE EXPERIENCE WITH OCEANIA CRUISES

Sthrngary

15 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

One thing I'm not clear on is the real difference between PH1, 2 and 3? Location on the ship? Or? 

We have yet to be on the Beyond but are booked on her next April. Have been on Apex and Edge and have thoroughly enjoyed them, and all our Celebrity cruises, but with the recent changes to previous services, such as no longer offering a dedicated butler in certain suites, and interested in exploring the smaller premium lines to what they can offer. We're thinking smaller and more exclusive may be more for us at this point. 

@JDPCruisers As I have said, I am no expert.  Based on the assumption you are referring to the Riviera which is what we just went on, here is what I know. PH1, PH2 and PH3 are basically the same except for where they are located.  The Riviera was just renovated at the end of 2022.  My understanding all the ship got a redo but a few of the PH3 still have the bathtub where the rest were converted into a huge shower and storage.  That is the best I can do.

We like our Oceania Cruise very much and compared it to the NCL Haven.  The difference was an enhanced cruising experience, with little to no children, on a smaller ship with better service and food.  The entertainment was not as good but we knew that and the tradeoff was more then worth it. Hope that helps.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

7 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Our first cruise with Oceania was in 2015 and we are just  about to take our tenth in January  but we have only had one ‘itinerary’ change and that is Izmir for Corfu in May 2024. 

Yes we have missed ports due to ‘weather’ but never actually had an ‘itinerary change ‘!

First attempt was Marina which we cancelled when they not only altered much of the itinerary but also moved debarkation from Lima to Santiago (only about 1500 miles which was done less than 3 weeks prior to embarkation.  Our current Vista booking has already had 2 Turkey ports cancelled (after final payment).  

Hank

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

First attempt was Marina which we cancelled when they not only altered much of the itinerary but also moved debarkation from Lima to Santiago (only about 1500 miles which was done less than 3 weeks prior to embarkation.  Our current Vista booking has already had 2 Turkey ports cancelled (after final payment).  

Hank

When you canceled did you get a refund?

5 hours ago, Harry Lake said:

When you canceled did you get a refund?

Absolutely, but not without an appeal by us and our cruise agency (part of a powerful consortium).  O offered a future cruise credit but we insisted on a full refund.

On 11/28/2023 at 12:32 AM, Sthrngary said:

Hello All:

Years ago I got frustrated at what it took to learn about true details about some luxury purchases I was considering.  The harder I looked, it became clear there was NO real resource and it frustrated me.  All that was available was the marketing material which was never very clear. Why would anyone consider making a big purchase without know all you could know about the aspects of the product or service.  This began my journey to drill down on the products I purchased.  Whether it is a luxury car, VIP entrance to four day music festivals, high-end coffee machines or yes Cruise Brands.  For each and other topics did a "Secrets" document.  Now I will share this Oceania Cruise document with you.  

On CruiseCritic.com, I did my first "Secrets" document for the NCL board.  I originally wrote it in 2019 and revised it in 2022.  This topic was so popular that is as active as much today, as it was back in 2019.  It is called, "The Secrets of the NCL Haven VIP Experience".  The difference is with the NCL Haven thread I cut and pasted the HUGE document.  In this thread I will approach this differently. I am giving you a download for a 38 page PDF document.  It has a "Table of Contents" with page numbers in the beginning so you can pick and choose what you want to read.  

For those that want bullet point summary, here is, "What I Concluded About Oceania Cruises From My First Cruise On the Brand":

•    The best approach for me on a port intensive cruise when an All-Inclusive Cruise is NOT financially an option.
•    Much more reserved than a larger mega mainstream ship which is refreshing.
•    Fairly priced when you take the extra amenities into consideration.
•    No real nickel and diming or upsell which was a relief. 
•    Food and dining are better than Mainstream cruise brands but not the best at sea. That I reserve for Crystal Cruises. Also, the Haven Dining Room is much better than the Grand Dining Room. Just my opinion and yes, it is subjective. 
•    The staff are much better trained at anticipating guest needs.  They also do well with a smile and positive reinforcement.
•    Butlers are REAL butlers who are very well trained, but you must know how to utilize them.  
•    The amenities provided from Real Champagne, soft drinks in the suite complimentary are small things but make a huge different to me.  
•    With a good strategy, getting on and off the ship was a breeze.  This includes the last day.  All you must do is let the first wave do their thing. 
•    Main Theatre Entertainment is NOT great which was expected.  Pick and choose your type of show with a positive emphasis on the guest artist.  The small venues suited my group and I best. 
•    Not that many bars/lounges, however, they were always well staffed, and rarely crowded where you could not find a seat.  My favorite was Martini’s. 
•    There are still folks that hold seats in the Theatre, Pool Lounge Chairs, and other venues.  There are still folks that have no manners on a buffet or at a bar. There are still folks that don’t understand what Country Club Casual means. However, far less than I have experience in the past and did not affect our enjoyment at all. 
•    The final point is, we as a group booked another 10-day cruise with the blessing of my wife who had a GREAT Time. That says it all for me.  When a new guest books another cruise, it is the conclusion most folks want to hear to support a good time was had by all. 

If you have a question, ask it and I will do my best to get back with you.  

"Cruise well and enjoy every moment."

The Secrets of Elevating your Cruise Experience with Oceania Cruises.pdf 657.44 kB · 394 downloads

Gary...really appreciate your excellent work on the "The Secrets..." series.  I put your NCL secrets to use and looking forward to putting your Oceania secrets to use.  Thanks again Gary.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@JDPCruisers As I have said, I am no expert.  Based on the assumption you are referring to the Riviera which is what we just went on, here is what I know. PH1, PH2 and PH3 are basically the same except for where they are located.  The Riviera was just renovated at the end of 2022.  My understanding all the ship got a redo but a few of the PH3 still have the bathtub where the rest were converted into a huge shower and storage.  That is the best I can do.

We like our Oceania Cruise very much and compared it to the NCL Haven.  The difference was an enhanced cruising experience, with little to no children, on a smaller ship with better service and food.  The entertainment was not as good but we knew that and the tradeoff was more then worth it. Hope that helps.

Yes, very helpful. We're very close to booking the Vista for 2025 to the Caribbean, Canel crossing, and the Americas with some ports we've been to and some we have not with a nice mix of sea days but need to do a little more research, sold on the ship but not sure about some of the ports for things to see and do. 

• Thanks 1

Gary - I just read your "magnum opus" which made excellent reading!  Thank you so much for the effort and time you put into it.

We have done 3 Oceania cruises and are booked for another 21 April Valetta to ??  (We booked a cruise Valetta to Trieste via Turkey.  Turkey was dropped a month ago.  Today on the O. site the cruise is listed as Valetta to "N/A".  )  Interesting...I have never visited that port!!  It is bizarre to say the least to take us on a mystery tour.   Anyway I shall adopt your attitude and wait...and see!

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2023 at 11:42 AM, Sthrngary said:

I wanted to go the the "Handout Music Festival" which is one of the top three/four day festivals in the country.  It happens on the Beach every May. 

Is that like the Hangout Music Festival? If so I'm currently right down the beach from where they have it. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2023 at 10:31 AM, JDPCruisers said:

Yes, very helpful. We're very close to booking the Vista for 2025 to the Caribbean, Canel crossing, and the Americas with some ports we've been to and some we have not with a nice mix of sea days but need to do a little more research, sold on the ship but not sure about some of the ports for things to see and do. 

We just completed 16 night Canal cruise on Vista. Ports are not great. It is about the ship and sea days and interesting to go through canal. Questioning whether I would book Vista again due to thin walls between cabins. Got to "enjoy" my neighbor's TV late into the night each evening. Otherwise a great ship.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, ORV said:

Is that like the Hangout Music Festival? If so I'm currently right down the beach from where they have it. 

@ORV It was the Hangout Music Festival.  I loved it.  Especially Super VIP.  Went several years in a row.  The first two years, I had a Airstream RV.  We stayed at the RV park right up the rode.  The next year we did a condo up the road and brought electric Scooters to take us up the road to the festival.  So much fun.

14 hours ago, edgee said:

We just completed 16 night Canal cruise on Vista. Ports are not great. It is about the ship and sea days and interesting to go through canal. Questioning whether I would book Vista again due to thin walls between cabins. Got to "enjoy" my neighbor's TV late into the night each evening. Otherwise a great ship.

Good to know, thanks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, edgee said:

We just completed 16 night Canal cruise on Vista. Ports are not great

What ports  did you have?

We have done the canal 3 times  not many  variations  on the ports on that route  but  most  were interesting

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

What ports  did you have?

We have done the canal 3 times  not many  variations  on the ports on that route  but  most  were interesting

The usual...Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Cartagena, and Grand Cayman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, FetaCheese said:

On a HAL Canal cruise, stopped at Corinto Nicaragua.  In future, if stopping there I will never again get off ship.

Nicaragua was on our itinerary originally and switched to a sea day. I think it was due to political issues there.

Thanks to everyone the downloaded my document and made comments.  Glad you saw some value in the thought process.  That document was sent to Oceania Head Quarters and shared with the leadership.  I was honored to hear that.

This morning, I was writing a NEW topic for my personal blog, not CruiseCritic.com.  It was about how to create a "Ultra-Luxury Cruise Experience on a brand that is not Ultra-Luxury".  The notion was stimulated after reading a good CruiseCritic.com friends review of his resent Ultra-Luxury Cruise. 

We are all looking for something when we cruise. What I want, may be the same or different then what you want.  Yet what we all want and the one thing that seems keep coming up is "Personalized Service".  That is not the ship, brand or dishes in the restaurant. It is how the crew treats us. Not being treated like a number.  Being treated like a valued guest.  Whether it is remembering your name when you check in to the Grand Dining Room (Happened every visit for me) or the bartender in Martini's remembering you love the "Big O" martini.  Those tiny little things make a huge different.  

Sometimes, we can help that kind of treatment to happen more often and provide a sense of satisfaction for both the guest as well as the crew member.  Should it simply happen naturally, YES. But the world is simply not perfect.  Will we enjoy our cruise better if it happens to us, YES.  So help it along.  

Here is an additional item to my list of "Secrets List" that I wished I had included.  I call it, "Find a Crew Member That Did Something Outstanding and tell their boss about it." 

Not hard to find this item if you are open minded to being observant.  It happened to me on my Oceania cruise last month.  When it happened, I was both impressed and excited.  What it was does not matter because your criteria may be different then mine. 

I went to the front desk, asked to speak to the General Manager (Emma).  You can imagine what the GM thought I wanted to talk about.  When it was a sincere complement for some (More then one) crew members, the GM was thrilled.  From that point forward, when the GM saw me onboard, she said hello and visited for a minute or so.  I would always introduce the GM to everyone around me. The crew member were praised by their bosses and thanked me for the kind words when they say me next.  They told other crew members.  

We can be so quick to find fault with something on a cruise and let it effect our entire cruise.  I know, I have, I am a pro at it.  I can destroy the entire cruise with my attitude because something did not go my way.  Then a great friend taught me that perfection and cruise vacations is an "Unrealistic Expectations".  They were right and I was wrong.  So I came up with "Finding Someone Doing Something RIGHT!" strategy. Not original but what really is.  

Some folks say, when I write I tend to preach or talk down to folks.  NEVER my intention.  Long winded, absolutely. My goal is always to find a way, even if it is my own effort, to make my cruise regardless of the brand, a better experience then the last cruise.  That kind approach made every cruise after using it, a better cruise and yes, more like an "Ultra Luxury Cruise". 

"Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

... I went to the front desk, asked to speak to the General Manager (Emma).  You can imagine what the GM thought I wanted to talk about.  When it was a sincere complement for some (More then one) crew members, the GM was thrilled.  From that point forward, when the GM saw me onboard, she said hello and visited for a minute or so. ....  

Yes, Emma was quite friendly. When I introduced myself to her at the Captain's Party on the 1st segment of our B2B I said, "Mrs. Peel I presume?" She understood The Avengers/Diana Rigg pop culture reference. (Diana Rigg played Mrs. Emma Peel.) Kidded her that I grew up loving that 1960s show, thinking most English women were named "Emma". Made sure to complement our room attendants and stewards by name to her (we changed rooms at the 2nd cruise).

Not trying to encourage smoking, but I've learned that so many of the higher crew like her can be found in the smoking room up on deck 15 by the Horizons Lounge. Great place to talk with them and compliment staff. I don't smoke, but my wife does. (And I, a former USAF Intelligence Analyst from the late 1980s, had an interesting time discussing Soviet military issues with our Russian captain, a smoker, who served in the Soviet marines in the early 1980s. He was replaced at the mid-point by the Italian captain, who I was told had quit smoking not too long ago.)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Thanks to everyone the downloaded my document and made comments.  Glad you saw some value in the thought process.  That document was sent to Oceania Head Quarters and shared with the leadership.  I was honored to hear that.

This morning, I was writing a NEW topic for my personal blog, not CruiseCritic.com.  It was about how to create a "Ultra-Luxury Cruise Experience on a brand that is not Ultra-Luxury".  The notion was stimulated after reading a good CruiseCritic.com friends review of his resent Ultra-Luxury Cruise. 

We are all looking for something when we cruise. What I want, may be the same or different then what you want.  Yet what we all want and the one thing that seems keep coming up is "Personalized Service".  That is not the ship, brand or dishes in the restaurant. It is how the crew treats us. Not being treated like a number.  Being treated like a valued guest.  Whether it is remembering your name when you check in to the Grand Dining Room (Happened every visit for me) or the bartender in Martini's remembering you love the "Big O" martini.  Those tiny little things make a huge different.  

Sometimes, we can help that kind of treatment to happen more often and provide a sense of satisfaction for both the guest as well as the crew member.  Should it simply happen naturally, YES. But the world is simply not perfect.  Will we enjoy our cruise better if it happens to us, YES.  So help it along.  

Here is an additional item to my list of "Secrets List" that I wished I had included.  I call it, "Find a Crew Member That Did Something Outstanding and tell their boss about it." 

Not hard to find this item if you are open minded to being observant.  It happened to me on my Oceania cruise last month.  When it happened, I was both impressed and excited.  What it was does not matter because your criteria may be different then mine. 

I went to the front desk, asked to speak to the General Manager (Emma).  You can imagine what the GM thought I wanted to talk about.  When it was a sincere complement for some (More then one) crew members, the GM was thrilled.  From that point forward, when the GM saw me onboard, she said hello and visited for a minute or so.  I would always introduce the GM to everyone around me. The crew member were praised by their bosses and thanked me for the kind words when they say me next.  They told other crew members.  

We can be so quick to find fault with something on a cruise and let it effect our entire cruise.  I know, I have, I am a pro at it.  I can destroy the entire cruise with my attitude because something did not go my way.  Then a great friend taught me that perfection and cruise vacations is an "Unrealistic Expectations".  They were right and I was wrong.  So I came up with "Finding Someone Doing Something RIGHT!" strategy. Not original but what really is.  

Some folks say, when I write I tend to preach or talk down to folks.  NEVER my intention.  Long winded, absolutely. My goal is always to find a way, even if it is my own effort, to make my cruise regardless of the brand, a better experience then the last cruise.  That kind approach made every cruise after using it, a better cruise and yes, more like an "Ultra Luxury Cruise". 

Too true and I want to thank you for your efforts in posting and producing your documents . As a (in 6 months) first time Oceania customer, I could be severely put off by the majority of comments here on Cruise Critic. However I know I am a (mostly) 'see the positive 'type of person and it's clear that many on this forum are not! 

I truely believe the more you look got the positive in whatever aspect of life, the less negative is noticed. In a way it's a bit like having realistic expectations just as you do  but also having eyes open to the positive around you. I see most of the complaints are about food and the size of the bathrooms in the R ships. I cook for a job. I know good food and not so good food, and I have eaten at many restaurants where I pay good money for food I could have cooked in a superior fashion.. But the good in that is that I didn't have to cook it.. I am with friends.  I don't have to clean up ... so I enjoy it regardless. As for the size of the showers, well in only in then for 5 minutes a day. How bad can it be!!  See the positive. I will though take on board your advice and do more to call out the positive and bring notice to others  from now on. I'm sure it works! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Hello @Sthrngary

Will you post a link to your personal blog?

I know I would enjoy reading it.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, daydreamer62 said:

I could be severely put off by the majority of comments here on Cruise Critic.

@daydreamer62 To be fair, every brand blog has those same negative type comments.  Some are surprisingly the same members of CruiseCritic.com.  I find that somewhat amusing. Just know, It is defiantly NOT a Oceania thing, it is a social media thing. For most but not all, it is kind of like the Brand becomes a family member and we hold family members to a higher standard.  The other thought on negative comments is some folks simply need an outlet to share their feeling especially when they feel unheard.  Human nature. 

16 minutes ago, daydreamer62 said:

As a (in 6 months) first time Oceania customer

Hear is my take on the good news.  My first cruise was in November 2023 on Oceania.  I had no frame of reference.  All I could compare Oceania to was my past cruising experiences.  It is like when you first meet someone and start dating.  That last line is funny because I have been married for 45 years. Back to the point. The first couple of dates can be really lovely because it is fresh.  Then, you see some issue and flaws.  So some of the comments by folks are after many dates, covid transitions and changes which no one likes or want much changes when you are comfortable with a product or service.

Love your comment on food, cooking and dining.  My wife and I say all the time, we cook better then some of the restaurants we frequent.  Oceania had good food as compared to most (not all) of the cruises I have gone on for 44 years.  Not one cruise I have been on was all HITS for food.  Always some misses.  I just sent it back and get something else unless the issue is bad service which also happens.  No one should ever expect a 5-Star Dining experience on a Cruise Ship unless you are paying an investment so high that you could have purchased a new Small SUV for the fare. 

Attitude as you outlined it is everything.  When you read a complaint, or issue someone has consider looking at it in a different way.  If you know what folks who cruised a brand liked or did not like, you can make a plan to avoid it or do it.  Just make sure there is enough folks agreeing on the issue and it is not a one off.  Example: When I cruise the NCL Haven, the Haven Restaurant has Lobster Tails and they are quite good. So a Mainstream Cruise brand in there exclusive area/restaurant does Lobster tails well. Yet it was my experience that the lobster including the Lobster tails cooked to order at the buffet was well not very good.  Then, my friend got Lobster at of all places, Red Ginger and loved it.  I knew to avoid the lobster because of what I learned online prior to cruising Oceania.  For the most part it proved to be good advice.  My guest and wife did not choose to take the information I shared as accurate and supported the online findings.  However, then Red Ginger made the claim subject to preparation and not quality.  Funny, confusing and what actually happened.  Food is relative.

Bottom line, I assure you that your time will be new, fresh, lovely and have a couple of issues.  Just the way a new cruise brand happens.  Thanks for responding to my post.

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

We are all looking for something when we cruise. What I want, may be the same or different then what you want.  Yet what we all want and the one thing that seems keep coming up is "Personalized Service".  That is not the ship, brand or dishes in the restaurant. It is how the crew treats us. Not being treated like a number.  Being treated like a valued guest………

I totally agree with you! Unrealistic Expectations are, I think, the reason for the majority of angst. 

I think that 99% of crew are remarkable giving great service even when  they have to deal with many ‘entitled’ rude passengers. I actually feel sorry for them sometimes.

Your attitude is the one we should all adopt to improve our overall experiences if cruising.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, daydreamer62 said:

Too true and I want to thank you for your efforts in posting and producing your documents . As a (in 6 months) first time Oceania customer, I could be severely put off by the majority of comments here on Cruise Critic. However I know I am a (mostly) 'see the positive 'type of person and it's clear that many on this forum are not! 

I truely believe the more you look got the positive in whatever aspect of life, the less negative is noticed. In a way it's a bit like having realistic expectations just as you do  but also having eyes open to the positive around you. I see most of the complaints are about food and the size of the bathrooms in the R ships. I cook for a job. I know good food and not so good food, and I have eaten at many restaurants where I pay good money for food I could have cooked in a superior fashion.. But the good in that is that I didn't have to cook it.. I am with friends.  I don't have to clean up ... so I enjoy it regardless. As for the size of the showers, well in only in then for 5 minutes a day. How bad can it be!!  See the positive. I will though take on board your advice and do more to call out the positive and bring notice to others  from now on. I'm sure it works! 

Hello.

Lovely to read your ‘positive’ attitude I’m sure you will love Oceania. I think one of the problems is that this is ‘Cruise Critic’ so many people take that literally and only post criticisms! I believe that the majority of people who are happy with Oceania don’t post here!

• Thanks 1

Thank you for this document. I am about to go on the 2024 Around The World 180 day cruise. Since I booked a year ago, I am under OLife and do not get wine with meals. I plan to buy wine in different ports and utilize an occasional happy hour. For the 180 days it would cost almost $8,000 per person to get that. I’ll buy my wine and have a pre dinner, (and maybe a post dinner), drink in the cabin. This my first Oceania cruise. I am definitely spoiled by Regent and am excited to go on Oceania. Wish me luck.

• Like 1