Beyond Panama Canal

TMLAalum

Itineraries for the Beyond in April & May 2025 include Panama Canal. Since those voyages are r/t Fort Lauderdale, the Beyond doesn't travel all the way through the canal, but does anyone know if the ship actually enters the locks for at least a partial trip? if so, how does it turn around to head back to the Caribbean to return to Fort Lauderdale?

1 hour ago, TMLAalum said:

Itineraries for the Beyond in April & May 2025 include Panama Canal. Since those voyages are r/t Fort Lauderdale, the Beyond doesn't travel all the way through the canal, but does anyone know if the ship actually enters the locks for at least a partial trip? if so, how does it turn around to head back to the Caribbean to return to Fort Lauderdale?

( posted before reading above reply)

did you click on the intinerary..

usually these trips go through a set of locks  but do not go further than Gatun Lake..not sure abt how it is now with new locks???

been awhile since we did this type of itin on Royal C...It was when there was one set of " lanes."..  After the lock transit,  which was very exciting,   we took a tender off from Lake Gatun..had a great tour. We  met the ship at a nice port area that had shops, food and entertainment .

hope someone has an update for you

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

We did Edge Panama Canal in March.  All comments above are accurate and let me add some commentary

1) there are 2 sets of locks, one for larger ships and one for smaller ships.  Beyond will be using the large ship locks

2) If you have access to the Retreat area (front) of the ship, you’ll have a nice view.  If not, you’ll only be able to have a side and back view when going through the locks.  This is the downfall of E class ships doing Panama Canal

3) If you’re on an excursion, you will go through the locks with the ship from about 6-9am, then get off the ship to meet your excursion.  However when you reconnect with the ship, it will be after the ship has went back through the locks so the only chance you’lll see the locks is in the morning, unless you don’t have an excursion 

Edited by Cruise till you drop

The ship travels thru the first set of locks.   Then it sits in the lake.   Passengers on tours will then tender off of the ship to go on their tours.   You can only tour thru the cruise line.   The ship then leaves and goes to Colon later in the day to pick up the passengers that have been on a tour.

If you don’t take a tour you stay on board and go thru the locks back to Colon.   It is considered a partial transit as you go thru the locks into the lake and then back out. You don’t go all the way thru to the pacific.   If you take a tour you are on the ship for the first time thru that set of locks.  

We have booked this tour at 50% off it takes you thru to the pacific.  Seems like a great value at 50% off. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

We did this on the Edge for December 2022 - We were going to do an excursion but ended up just staying on board. From what we heard from others (and was what I read in my research) some of the tours were fine - but some had a long return back to the ship due to traffic.

We were very happy just staying on board.

Our tour went from the ship to a landing area..then a bus tour that went  into the  Gamboa Rain forest.  Included an aerial tram ride, and  we also climbed an observation  tower with a great view if the river,,,,,(?)..  Went to a butterfly house and resort for a drink..It was well planned..no issues..except we  did  not see  many birds or animals.

.  Not sure where we met the ship again...but I dont think it was Colon.  Where we went was very colorful and festive. Memory fades but   I recall Colon was a sep port...very shabby.   I think we got out to a  fenced and protected flea market..10 min there was enough...(might have een a diff port.)   Costa Rica was great too!

I rec  an excursion to truly appreciate the beauty of Panama..But is intensely hot there...hats,  water and sunscreen needed

I  have heard water levels  are low.. would be a shame to miss the canal!

if you go read The Path Between the Seas!