Galveston and Princess Plus/Premier Package - Embarkation

luvseaside

There seem to be some new Princess/Galveston cruisers so it might be helpful to discuss how Princess handles the Plus/Premier package while cruising from Galveston.  I have not (yet) been on a cruise from there (going in 60+ days on Regal), but my understanding is that you cannot use your Plus/Premier package while at port, but have to pay for all beverages a la carte until you reach international waters (approx 2 hrs after sailing?). (Not to mention it's a limited alcohol menu).  Princess apparently has offset this issue with a $25 credit.  To cover that "dead" period on embarkation day, we personally plan to bring on our allotted two bottles of wine, and maybe one more (and pay for corkage), to make sure we can have a decent glass of wine until the full bar and drink package kick in.  "Plan for the worst and hope for the best" is our travel motto!  When Princess went out of Houston years ago, we got fogged in overnight and could not leave until early the next morning. That was pre-package days and thankfully we had brought several bottles of wine for the week.  This time we have the Premier package, and embarkation day for us is our anniversary; so I want something special to clink glasses with! 🙂

A recent trip report (thanks @TxTeach79!) noted that some folks got upset with the bar staff that first day b/c they could use their pkg; so I though this thread might help avoid some frustration. Knowledge is power, right?  Maybe Princess could better communicate this "quirk" of sailing from Galveston to those passengers.  This info could be provided in the Travel summary or embarkation information perhaps? 

Any comments on this topic from those on recent cruises on the Regal would be appreciated, I'm sure.

According to TX beverage laws, the ship is not able to provide alcohol in state waters on any package.  Furthermore the ship must sell only alcohol bought from TX distributors so therefore they have a limited quantity aboard.  Once the ship reaches international waters (little over one hour) can they open their bars and sell alcohol purchased from other areas.  Therefore you must pay for any alcoholic drinks by the drink in TX waters and they must charge state tax for anything purchased including soft drinks etc.  

Another quirk is that if you are bringing back any alcohol or cigarettes purchased while on your sailing, you must pay TX state taxes regardless of your final destination once you deboard.   TX has set up tables just outside the restricted area as you leave the terminal to collect the tax and usually has a spotter to direct pax to the table.  US customs does not have anything to do with this and will not say a word about it to returning pax.  So unless they can see you carrying it unconcealed you can just walk past on your way out of the terminal.  

30 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I thought I had read that you could not bring on wine on Princess. I know we do it on other lines but it’s been years since we’ve sailed Princess.

we board today.

Yes, you can each bring on one bottle each.  I believe grocery stores in Tx start selling wine at 10 am on Sundays if you want to grab some before you leave. Bon voyage!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would have sworn that I had looked for that info in the terms an and conditions and it said no.  Well, I’m just not quite up to my usual performance standard on this cruise.  Yep, will stop by Kroger on Seawall and,pick up some wine.  I just hate last minute tasks.  Now, to decide what my welcome aboard beverage will be.  Hmmmm, so many choices. 

We sailed on Regal November 5th and not only was alcohol not covered, but they were charging people for *all* beverages until we reached international waters. We had the Premier package and were denied Diet Cokes. I went to guest services before disembarkation to ask if this was a mistake  and they confirmed that while in Texas waters no beverages would be given to passengers with Plus or Premier packages unless paid for separately. 

36 minutes ago, So_Tweetie said:

We sailed on Regal November 5th and not only was alcohol not covered, but they were charging people for *all* beverages until we reached international waters. We had the Premier package and were denied Diet Cokes. I went to guest services before disembarkation to ask if this was a mistake  and they confirmed that while in Texas waters no beverages would be given to passengers with Plus or Premier packages unless paid for separately. 

No beverages from bars. You can still get premium coffees as soon as you board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

No beverages from bars. You can still get premium coffees as soon as you board.

So, coffee, tea, specialty coffees etc are included with Plus & Premium on sailaway, but not the local Texas liquors 

49 minutes ago, candy4040 said:

If you're entitled to get a mini bar setup in your cabin will it be done after getting to international waters?

Our mini bar was in the cabin when we got there, and the room steward immediately brought us a glass of champagne (sparkling wine) since we were in a mini suite. 

• Like 1

We are on Regal Princess now and it was 6 pm before you could use your package.  We were eating in the crown grill and the server came to tell us.   Definitely more than an hour.  

Also, tomorrow’s Patter has a QR code to scan for your Texas tax payments.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, So_Tweetie said:

Our mini bar was in the cabin when we got there, and the room steward immediately brought us a glass of champagne (sparkling wine) since we were in a mini suite. 

Helps make the safety video easier to watch.

20231021_140548_DxO.thumb.jpg.58d6900bf0f47dbfe9afed6acd72fe63.jpg

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, doghog said:

Any restrictions with the Beverage packages at Port Everglades? 

This is strictly a Galveston (Texas) issue.  Port Everglades-you can use your package and full compliment of beverages from the minute you step on!  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sassycruiser said:

We are on Regal Princess now and it was 6 pm before you could use your package.  We were eating in the crown grill and the server came to tell us.   Definitely more than an hour.  

Also, tomorrow’s Patter has a QR code to scan for your Texas tax payments.  

So what did you drink while eating dinner before the server told you.

Not only can Princess not give you drinks in your package but besides paying for the drinks they will charge you sales tax as an further insult.  They are only able to sell liquor bought from TX distributors. 

Edited by satxdiver

This restriction about using the package must be a Princess rule as when we sailed on Liberty of the Seas, we were able to use our drinks package straight after boarding.

They had the same rules about limited Alcohol only bought in Texas.

This looks to me like it is Princess trying to save money on the first day. If I was boarding at 11am, I would certainly drink more than $25 worth before we sailed.

When we sailed on RC from Galveston, while we were in the concierge lounge we could get wine, beer and soda because we were in a suite and didn't need a package. So if we're in a suite on Princess is there a lounge that would also do the same until in international waters?