Just a Question: Would you support "no cell phone" areas on Ships?

Bluewake

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

That's pretty much what the OP suggested..folks just didn't want to read that part.  

Thank you.  Perhaps I didn't word it correctly but, by no means, was I suggesting "no cell phones whatsover" on the ship.  All I meant to suggest was whether people might support designating 2-3 small areas of the ship [such as a particular lounge, the library, an area of chairs on the Promenade Deck...just like the smoking area is set up, etc. as "Quiet" areas where cell phone conversations, facetiming, playing music or videos by speaker, etc. would not be allowed...and I suppose loud conversations could be included. This simply would afford those who want to read or relax to have some places to do so without being subjected to another passenger's very loud phone conversations, videos, and other noise producing actions. Nothing would prevent a person from using their phone to text or watch videos with earphones or even to receive an incoming call in these areas provided they took that call to another location.  They would have the majority of the ship to do that.  

• Like 3

On our last cruise, there was a woman in Cafe al Baccia talking to her daughter using FaceTime and the speaker. It took ALL OF MY WILLPOWER to not walk behind her and make faces or comment on the biological experiences that the mother & daughter were discussing. I'm listening to a lot of Headspace and am working on not being petty or a Karen so I kept it to myself ... and y'all, of course - lol.

I don't think that cell phones should be banned but I do think that speakers of any type should be banned. I'm just as annoyed by people who have loud in-person conversations as those on their phone. I'm tired of the people who listen to audio books on their phone speakers, or turn up their music, or watch a tv show, or play a game. That's not just on phones, it's on iPads, too.

So I'd vote YES to a ban on speakers but no on a mobile phone ban. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Bluewake said:

At the risk of sounding petty...

We just returned from a short Celebrity cruise that was wonderful in most ways other than one exception.  In four days, we encountered 6-7 situations in which we found a quiet place to relax but, within a few minutes, someone a few chairs away was on their cell phone engaging in one or more of three behaviors:  (1) talking very loudly...really loudly;  (2) using the speaker on the cell phone to hear the other party...many such exchanges seemed to involved "facetiming"; (3) watching videos on their phone with the speaker at max setting.  These were not emergencies in any way.  I know that because the entire conversation from both parties was clearly audible to everyone within a 10-20 foot radius.  And, at no time, did the party on the ship seem to be concerned that they might be bothering anyone. 

It's hard to believe we are the only cruisers who find this somewhat disturbing but I have to acknowledge the possibility that others simply aren't bothered by it.  If so, it's my problem.   However, it got me thinking.  If cruise lines can have smoking and non-smoking areas, why not have certain areas where cell phone conversations are not permitted and videos/music can only be watched with earphones?   Of course, nobody cares if someone is texting...it's the noise polution that is the issue for some of us.

So...am I being a curmudgeon and unreasonable?

Edited by kenb

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

The trouble is the cruise ships have transferred into the technology age and QR codes are displayed in the daily newspaper and the ship requires you to fill in your departure information via your phone.

The ship doesn't require you to fill in your departure information via your phone or any other device - paper versions are available just ask. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluewake said:

We just returned from a short Celebrity cruise that was wonderful in most ways other than one exception.  In four days, we encountered 6-7 situations in which we found a quiet place to relax but, within a few minutes, someone a few chairs away was on their cell phone engaging in one or more of three behaviors:  (1) talking very loudly...really loudly;  (2) using the speaker on the cell phone to hear the other party...many such exchanges seemed to involved "facetiming"; (3) watching videos on their phone with the speaker at max setting.  These were not emergencies in any way.  I know that because the entire conversation from both parties was clearly audible to everyone within a 10-20 foot radius.  And, at no time, did the party on the ship seem to be concerned that they might be bothering anyone. 

It's hard to believe we are the only cruisers who find this somewhat disturbing but I have to acknowledge the possibility that others simply aren't bothered by it.  If so, it's my problem.   However, it got me thinking.  If cruise lines can have smoking and non-smoking areas, why not have certain areas where cell phone conversations are not permitted and videos/music can only be watched with earphones?   Of course, nobody cares if someone is texting...it's the noise polution that is the issue for some of us.

Agreed and I would start in the MDR where phones should only be allowed for emergency use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, doghog said:

Next cruise I may bring a set of my drum sticks. Next time someone is near me or on their balcony talking loud on their cell phone, especially on speaker (🤬) I 'll start drumming out In A Gadda Da Vida on any hard surface around them. 

Me likey.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluewake said:

Thank you.  Perhaps I didn't word it correctly but, by no means, was I suggesting "no cell phones whatsover" on the ship.  All I meant to suggest was whether people might support designating 2-3 small areas of the ship [such as a particular lounge, the library, an area of chairs on the Promenade Deck...just like the smoking area is set up, etc. as "Quiet" areas where cell phone conversations, facetiming, playing music or videos by speaker, etc. would not be allowed...and I suppose loud conversations could be included. This simply would afford those who want to read or relax to have some places to do so without being subjected to another passenger's very loud phone conversations, videos, and other noise producing actions. Nothing would prevent a person from using their phone to text or watch videos with earphones or even to receive an incoming call in these areas provided they took that call to another location.  They would have the majority of the ship to do that.  

I think in order to have quiet locations like that, you’d also have to get the crew to turn off the piped in music that seems to fill every unused common area.  I remember getting up early on Enchantment and heading to Lattitudes where the music in the atrium was blaring at 6am.  

• Like 1

So you would like a quiet zone or zones, in public areas, presumably walled off with sufficient warning signs in all the approaches, just so you can read your book without any disturbance. Forget the phones and other electronics; apparently other cruisers must go elsewhere if they wish to speak with each other?  Anyone walking past or through your special space had better zip it as well. No more ambient music, either. Just silence, for your reading enjoyment. But please remember, if you are reading paper material, to keep the rustling of pages to a minimum. And how much space would you need, to avoid any sonic disturbance intruding from other adjacent public areas? Maybe they could install sound proof booths instead? 

I understand the annoyance, but IMO, taking action to modify the offending behavior is better all around than attempting to remove a section of public space just for the benefit of a few people out of thousands of their fellow cruisers. An enforced policy requiring the use of headphones for electronics and banning speakers outside of staterooms would benefit everyone, not just a few. The trick would be getting the cruiseline to grow a spine and enforce the policy.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The smoking on ships bothers me much more than people talking on the phone.  Although I agree people should be more aware of their surroundings and more respectful of others in public spaces.  Unfortunately, it isn't just people on their phone that can be too loud and obnoxious.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I'll join you on the curmudgeon bench.

I will also join you on the curmudgeon bench!!! It is definitely something I don't want to be subject to while seated on a pool lounge cheer, relaxing, reading a book, talking to another, or during dinner!!.

Before I say anything else. I am a 75 year old grandmother who has a cell phone and calls, e-mails and texts with it. Cruising aside, it now seems like no matter where we go or where we are, we are constantly surrounded by people (of all ages) who cannot function without a cell phone in their hands which makes everyone around them subject to their conversations. 

I'll close by saying that my husband and I are very fortunate that our Family (total of 16 which includes us, Children and Granchildren) all live within a 30 mile drive from us.  My only request when they all come for a Family dinner is that all cell phones are turned off....and very happy to say it has worked perfectly!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mom says said:

So you would like a quiet zone or zones, in public areas, presumably walled off with sufficient warning signs in all the approaches, just so you can read your book without any disturbance. Forget the phones and other electronics; apparently other cruisers must go elsewhere if they wish to speak with each other?  Anyone walking past or through your special space had better zip it as well. No more ambient music, either. Just silence, for your reading enjoyment. But please remember, if you are reading paper material, to keep the rustling of pages to a minimum. And how much space would you need, to avoid any sonic disturbance intruding from other adjacent public areas? Maybe they could install sound proof booths instead? 

I understand the annoyance, but IMO, taking action to modify the offending behavior is better all around than attempting to remove a section of public space just for the benefit of a few people out of thousands of their fellow cruisers. An enforced policy requiring the use of headphones for electronics and banning speakers outside of staterooms would benefit everyone, not just a few. The trick would be getting the cruiseline to grow a spine and enforce the policy.

I wasn’t talking about ambient background music. I’m referring Io blaring music that is loud enough to impede conversation. In an unused room, not during a concert or dance class. 

7 hours ago, Bluewake said:

If you are being a curmudgeon and unreasonable, then I am too.  I was in the cancer wing of a large hospital last week with a friend, (all waiting for chemotherapy treatment), and a 30 something individual engaged in the same behavior:  speaking loudly, using a speaker phone and then watching presumably videos on  loud audio.  Every single patient was upset about this but unfortunately nobody silenced this thoughtless individual.  I totally agree with the suggestions you made:  limited areas on the ship where this behavior is limited and strongly suggest earphones.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, doghog said:

Requires. Wrong. I don't. On the ship, hard copy of all dining venue menus and Celebrity Today. I use my lap top for anything pre cruise except picking our check in time, muster drill and health info which is complete prior to boarding the ship.  Once on the ship my cell phone goes directly into the stateroom safe for the entire cruise. 

Same with DH and I, doghog!  I want a vacation, so into the safe with our electronic leashes.  Folks at home know they can email us if there is an emergency that directly impacts us....otherwise they also know we are taking a break from the routine responsibilities.  

• Like 1

Going on first Windstar cruise in Jan.  Here is what they say on the topic in their Setting Sail brochure.   I was pleased with these guidelines.

Cell Phone Service
In order to maintain Windstar’s atmosphere of casual elegance
and intimate retreat, we ask guests to consider the following cell
phone courtesy guidelines:
• Cell phone service is intended primarily for guests’ use in the
privacy of their own stateroom or suite.
• Talking on cell phones is discouraged in public areas such as
dining areas or lounges, and guests are asked to set their
phone’s ringer to vibrate when in public areas

We have been party to multiple Facetime calls on our recent sailings in the Retreat lounge,  MDR and Oceanview.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Bluewake said:

I would vote no on banning phone conversations.  There are plenty of people talking/making noise without a cell phone that can be heard in a 10' -20' radius.  On the other hand, I vote yes to ban boom boxes -- unless they play Beatles music.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

Going on first Windstar cruise in Jan.  Here is what they say on the topic in their Setting Sail brochure.   I was pleased with these guidelines.

Cell Phone Service
In order to maintain Windstar’s atmosphere of casual elegance
and intimate retreat, we ask guests to consider the following cell
phone courtesy guidelines:
• Cell phone service is intended primarily for guests’ use in the
privacy of their own stateroom or suite.
• Talking on cell phones is discouraged in public areas such as
dining areas or lounges, and guests are asked to set their
phone’s ringer to vibrate when in public areas

We have been party to multiple Facetime calls on our recent sailings in the Retreat lounge,  MDR and Oceanview.

I get the true Luxury lines (older crowds) but X is a mass-market premium line and may scare people away from them

I think they should only be banned during theater performances. I agree etiquette is lacking sometimes (you do not ever need to be on speakerphone in a public setting), but it is possible to quietly and respectfully use your phone pretty much anywhere else.