What do people actually wear on Vista European cruise - 2023-2024

question221

17 hours ago, Woofa said:

From your description it sounds like you live in a very casual area.  From years of reading posts here and our ten days on Riviera earlier in the year I would say that while Oceania is not dressy, it is also for the most part not that casual either.  As stated above Terrace Grille and waves pizzeria are casual even at night and jeans or shorts are ok.  The GDR and specialties are not that casual.  You can read dozens of posts where jeans were ok, not okay, you name it. The only conclusions I have come to are that dressier jeans may well be okay while sloppy jeans might have them ask you to change.  for what its worth I probably saw more sport coats than jeans although both were in the minority on our cruise.  The night I wore a tie to Jacques certainly had me amongst the most formally dressed on the ship.  I would not hesitate to pack jeans but I would also make sure to take the next level up if you planned to eat in the venues listed. On the plus side, for men at least, khakis take up less room and are lighter than jeans.  Have a great cruise whatever you choose.

This is a great summary. 
Dressy jeans in the GDR are fine but a few people will push the envelope. I’ve seen some people wear jeans that would be more appropriate for yard work, not dinner. I haven’t seen a lot of people wearing jeans of any sort in the GDR. 

I agree that jeans in the hot summer are uncomfortable and they are heavy to pack. I only wear them on the plane. Lighter weight pants are better for various reasons. 
Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Shorts are shorts. And jeans, by definition, are casual. Neither is appropriate at dinner in the GDR and Specialty restaurants. 

I agree. I was thinking if the Terrace Cafe in the evening. Sorry if I was unclear.

• Like 1

I have rarely seen the  pool  packed on any O cruise 

the pools are small  & so are the ships

I take a pr or 2 of nice slacks to wear in the specialties & GDR 

Many are on excursions & still find the time to change for dinner

YMMV

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

This is a great summary. 
Dressy jeans in the GDR are fine but a few people will push the envelope. I’ve seen some people wear jeans that would be more appropriate for yard work, not dinner. I haven’t seen a lot of people wearing jeans of any sort in the GDR. 

I agree that jeans in the hot summer are uncomfortable and they are heavy to pack. I only wear them on the plane. Lighter weight pants are better for various reasons. 
Just my opinion. 

yes I agree with that...I dont agree with taking a lot of clothes...

so many lost their suitcases that it was an ongoing topic on the ship....

the laundry is fabulous....

Have not travel on the Vista, pools on all other O ships are small. Earlier in 2023, onboard the Marina, DH swam laps in the morning, between 7:00 and 8:00. First few days, he swam alone. One morning, a woman was in the pool, walking slowly in the water. He entered the pool, swam a bit and when he stopped, the woman told him not to get her (perfectly styled!) hair wet. And told him that he didn’t even know how to swim. 
DH, a former NCAA Division 1 collegiate swimmer (think Mark Spitz with less speed, no Olympic medals 😊) left the pool. That evening, he turned the pool story into humorous, dinner conversation. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Have not travel on the Vista, pools on all other O ships are small. Earlier in 2023, onboard the Marina, DH swam laps in the morning, between 7:00 and 8:00. First few days, he swam alone. One morning, a woman was in the pool, walking slowly in the water. He entered the pool, swam a bit and when he stopped, the woman told him not to get her (perfectly styled!) hair wet. And told him that he didn’t even know how to swim. 
DH, a former NCAA Division 1 collegiate swimmer (think Mark Spitz with less speed, no Olympic medals 😊) left the pool. That evening, he turned the pool story into humorous, dinner conversation. 

LOL - The real problem is I actually can see this happening.  We live in Phoenix and we are fortunate enough to have our own pool.  I would much prefer to be able to use the community pools - BUT.  I have been told that the lap pools are to be used ONLY for lap swimming - even if empty - and that splashing is not permitted - even if empty.  There are non-lap pools where people walk in the water for therapy - and again - splashing in those pools is not permitted.  So, the ONLY time splashing is permitted is when there is a water aerobics class being conducted - and then you must be doing that class.  SOOOOOO - we pay to heat and maintain our own pool because I totally enjoy - and frankly need for my joints - doing my own water aerobics routine - which I have on an waterproof mp3 player and use waterproof headphones. 

I think at the very least, there would be hours during the day when you can splash to your hearts content - and if someone is that worried about their hair - use a shower cap or walk on land.  Had I been her - I would not have had the nerve - and I cannot believe the pool is so small that should could not walk along the other edge.  It is just a control issue.  But telling someone else they are not swimming properly - that is another level.

I did a cruise a few months back on a large ship and the pools were so very crowded- so I did not do my water aerobics for the duration of the cruise.  I am easily intimidated.  I could truly feel a difference in my hips and back and even my knees - even though I was getting plenty of land based exercise - primary on some excursions that involved a LOT of walking and stairs and "uneven" paths.  Let's just say I was thrilled to get back in my pool upon return.

When someone stated that they never saw anyone use the pool at night - I was thinking "great".  I don't want the big 5 course 3 hour dinner anyway - I can go to the pool and do my thing which is very relaxing for me as well - takes about a 1.5 hours - change into my most casual and hopefully non-offensive outfit - head to the terrace cafe, and probably join my hubby who will have been sitting there eating for the prior hour.  He does not use the pool - but he might choose to walk instead.

It is all about priorities and what you do to relax and enjoy your vacation.

Did your husband try swimming at all in the evening?  Is it true that it is empty at night?  We are going to verify the hours it is actually open.  I can only imagine how wonderful it would be having the pool to myself in the evening under the stars on a ship:)

19 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

DH did not swim in the evenings but he did check the pool each morning and once he found that “hair helmet” was not in the pool, he swam a few laps. 

LOL.  I guess everyone's idea of a good time is different.  "Hair Helmet" probably a bit more formal and all hung up on everything looking perfect.  Must be tiring.  I can only hope she was either joking or caught on a very bad day.

We certainly enjoy good food and meeting people - but I think the Terrace Cafe might be our best option.  We can eat anywhere at home.

The cruise we are looking at has no sea days - and our reason for looking at it is the itinerary really fits the bill.  2.5 days in Istanbul - one of my favorite cities in the world.  Most cruises only spend 1 day.  And no overnight.

Would actually love to see whirling dervishes again.  And of course, the Blue Mosque.  This cruise spends 2 nights in port.  The other possibility is to do a cruise that begins or ends in Istanbul. 

On our last cruise we were supposed to go to Israel, but then October 7 happened and we were diverted.  I don't dare book a cruise heading to Israel at this point - but by next spring/fall this could change.

On 12/8/2023 at 10:18 AM, question221 said:

The only difficulty I have at public pools is that it involves jumping around and splashing - so frankly - if the pool is empty in the evening - I would pay extra for that:)

Off Nautica last month.  DW and I walk the track for an hour each evening around 6-7pm.  Hardly ever saw anyone in the pool or even on the pool deck at that time.  Usually had the walking track to ourselves too. 

Funny, every night at 7pm the colored spotlights around the pool would come on .... and never anyone around.  A few nights the pool net was up and the pools were closed for deck cleaning...but that I think was only a few nights.

Pools usually open and no one in them at that hour.

On 12/8/2023 at 4:35 PM, Pandazoo said:

You may find jeans too hot for Europe in June anyway.

That will depend on where in Europe. Certainly not too hot for jeans in my part of Europe in June (and that's often our nest month for  weather).

TERRACE CAFE FOR DINNER

Was looking forward to trying the Terrace Cafe for dinner last month on Nautica.  Read so many great things about it here on these Boards.

Yes, it's popular....too popular and (IMHO) not open long enough.

The Terrace opens for dinner at 6:30 (same for the other restaurants) and closed promptly at 8:30 when all food was removed.  So basically you have from 6:30 to about 7:30 to sit down.  Walked thru at around 7:30 a few nights and it was a complete zoo.  No empty tables to be had and packed.  

Hope O decides to keep the Terrace open a bit longer and perhaps spread out the "rush".

Just a quick note from our experience on Riviera in the Caribbean.  The main pool is not overly large but I always got a spot with personal space.  While the pool deck chaIses fill up and stay filled, most of these people are really not sunning or getting wet. In fact many were not even attired to do so.  Most of the all day chair hogs we saw were basically spending the day, mostly in the shade, relaxing, reading, etc.  It was clear many never got off the ship and I believe if there was another, "non pool" area with an outside shaded area to fit so many, they would happily go there (especially if it allowed you to look out on the water).  Even those in the pool, like myself were basically in for a few minute dip, cool off then back out.  There is no real swimming opportunities during the main part of the day as having just one or two others in the pool precludes this.  Some don't even get in the actual pool but wet their feet on the shallow side sections.  One or two tried to do yoga, or at least stretching, right at the handrail and stairs but in truth there is not room for this and they were in the way of anyone getting in or out.

Our cruise at least skewed pretty older and of course, most above 60, certainly above 70 were not looking to tan.  Maybe a dozen or so people really soaking in the rays, mostly somewhat younger (read 50's) and with great tans already.  I assume many of them live in south Florida and stay tan all year round.

And I will agree with those who felt like the live music poolside which I think started in the afternoon was too early and too loud.  No need for this imo before late afternoon or early evening.  I am a little hard of hearing and I felt it was just too loud in that area.

10 minutes ago, Woofa said:

While the pool deck chaIses fill up and stay filled, most of these people are really not sunning or getting wet. In fact many were not even attired to do so.  Most of the all day chair hogs we saw were basically spending the day, mostly in the shade, relaxing, reading, etc. 

Then they are not chair hogs  if they are using the  chairs 

They are enjoying the space 

I like to sit in the shade outside & read   never go in the pool

I will go to the  other areas when available but the CHAIR HOGS have already staked their claim while they go ashore

Definition of a chair hog

"chair hogs," these individuals will leave their belongings on one or more chairs near the pool in order to try reserve them for later use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Then they are not chair hogs  if they are using the  chairs 

They are enjoying the space 

I like to sit in the shade outside & read   never go in the pool

I will go to the  other areas when available but the CHAIR HOGS have already staked their claim while they go ashore

Definition of a chair hog

"chair hogs," these individuals will leave their belongings on one or more chairs near the pool in order to try reserve them for later use.

My bad, thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Harters said:

That will depend on where in Europe. Certainly not too hot for jeans in my part of Europe in June (and that's often our nest month for  weather).

Thanks for that correction. I see this nonsense frequently posted on cruise critic and get a good laugh from it. A good pair of jeans is no warmer than a pair of dockers or other non jeans style pants. 

The other amusing posts that you frequently see are the folks that seems to think Europeans are always better dressed than Americans. Seriously. LOL

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I see this nonsense frequently posted on cruise critic and get a good laugh from it. A good pair of jeans is no warmer than a pair of dockers or other non jeans style pants. 

I'm curious where you got this info. We're part of the Levi's family and I've just looked and looked and can't find a single article that compares the weight of Levi's versus non-jean pants. Levi's vary in weight but are lighter than they were 100 years ago. Maybe take two pairs and weigh them? I sure find a difference. 

13 minutes ago, Harry Lake said:

How so? Color me confused. I was sincerely looking. I personally can't stand jeans in warm weather 🙂

Ok, hard to tell exactly what some people are referring to. Truly though, I can’t tell the difference between one pair of pants or another.