Do these ships have stabilizers as related to motion sickness propensity?

4THELUVOFTRAVEL974

The reviews on this line looks generally wonderful and I would love to go on one.

However, my husband deals with motion sickness and generally tolerates

it adequately with the meds. However, sometimes he just goes to bed and gets through it.

So do these ships have stabilizers to help deal with this or not. I am not nautical

so I may have missed the point all together. Any thoughts on this topic are appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Yes, both sailing and motor ships have stabilizers. No ship of these sizes go without stabilizers.  If you decide to go on the sailing ships, you want to make sure your room is in the middle of the ship, the lower the decks the better. The sailing ships have ballasts and   stabilizers.  If you go on a motor ship I would make sure you had a balcony for fresh air, middle of the boat. Reminder when motion sickness occurs you always want to look  out right at the horizon, outside, middle of the boat, with a stack of saltine crackers. We have a friend from Sweden who gets horrifically sea sick, she has been on the sailing ships 4 times with us in the Med. twice, Atlantic, English Channel, Caribbean. She stays in a BX room, middle of the ship and in the dining room the maître de sat us in the middle every night we only had to request the first night, no problems. Great service on WS , they bend over backwards to help you.  The sailing ships have huge decks easy to sit and look out at the horizon in the middle of the ship. We were at the tip of the hurricane Lee this fall  coming into the St. Lawrence, I was amazed at how little rocking and rolling we did on the Star Pride.  I thought it would have been far worse. My husband gets motion sickness in that type of sea, he felt it but not badly, he took a motion sickness pill but needed only one.  I will admit I have  sailed my entire life and was only once sick the English Channel. I have have tremendous empathy for those that get it. Middle of the ship, a pill, saltine crackers, looking out at the horizon, fresh air you should be ok. Great ships. Happy Sailing

1 hour ago, texasstar said:

I am also prone to sea sickness, and the wrist pressure band and ginger chews really helped me.  I was skeptical, but they worked.

Good suggestion, I do not get sea sick so not up on the latest things, old fashion stuff. I guess one should try everything because it is misery after my English Channel crossing in 1970, still remember.Thanks for that. Happy Sailing. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

Buy Bonine (it's an over the counter item. I've found it at Target but sometimes it's difficult to find. I also use the generic one with good results too). It's the best for motion illness and you don't get sleepy.

Generic is meclizine.

On 12/16/2023 at 11:51 AM, 4THELUVOFTRAVEL974 said:

Yes, the pressure wrist bands do work! Need to give the ginger chews a try!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

You can buy ginger pills as well. You start taking them a couple of days before boarding and then keep taking them every day. They are quite effective. Adam gets horribly sea sick and hates to take drugs for a lot of reasons unless there is simply no alternative.  The pressure bands and ginger pills do the trick even in the worst of it.  

As a side note, I read the original research paper where the ginger pills were tested in randomly assigned controlled trials. Pregnant women were their test subjects and the process, protocols and statistical analysis were sound. I’m a statistician (and a professor) and can usually find a flaw in anyone’s experimental design. This study was graded an A. Lol. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

Bonine is great and I now use the scopolomine patches which have been a lifesaver for me. I've got the Drake Passage coming up in February and waiting to see if the patches will work for that.

I just returned from Antarctica, and the patch worked wonderfully for me during the 15' seas in the Drake Passage. You are going to love Antarctica!!!