Current 75% sale still charging singles 200%

citruscruiser

On 12/16/2023 at 6:20 PM, Cruise Gopher said:

Just book for two passengers. Take your friend George Glass who has something suddenly come up and doesn’t show up for the cruise. 

I would do the exact same.     Just make a dummy booking with any name as second passenger and unfortunately they got sick and couldn't make the cruise.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2023 at 6:31 AM, paulh84 said:

Their math is pretty simple. It's charged as 200% of the price for the first person - whatever that price may be. Since there is no person 2 there is no 75% off any portion. In this situation wait until there is a sale that has a discount applied for person 1 and 2. 

Another option would be book now and after the sale is over and they drop the prices again to the same net amount call in and get a price match.

• Like 1

I never buy extra stuff, go on celebrity tours, or do specialty dining. Use my elite drinks at night or pay for an extra glass of wine at lunch. If the 2x price was just based on cruise only fare wouldn’t be as bad as 2x fully loaded package.

On 12/16/2023 at 2:08 PM, citruscruiser said:

Under the current sale of 75% off second guest singles are being charged 200%. As an example 2 guests on a sailing may be $5000 total.  Changing the number of guests to 1, the total is close to $9000. Traveling as single most of the time I know we do wind up paying for two.  But shouldn’t singles be paying the same (minus taxes and port fees) as 2 guests🤔 Does anyone else see the confusion?

Yes, I have asked onboard sales who stated they brought it up to shoreside and the answer was there is no glitch in the system. I have contacted the main office and was told the sale is for double occupancy. So is Celebrity trying to get rid of us singles!

I just experienced the same thing booking an Alaska cruise. The Total price for Both my son and daughter in a Window Cabin on Summit (May,2025) was $1867 with Tips And without  X's insurance. For Me in an Inside cabin with tips and no insurance is $2858. 

The reason is that X figures out How Much Each guest is likely going to spend Over and Above the Cruise price once onboard.

My taking up a cabin Solo is going to cost X the extra that missing second guest was  probably going to spend.?

Well I cruise Solo a lot and know the price for any cabin will be double.

On 12/25/2023 at 11:02 AM, GVM said:

2. As a solo traveller I am willing to pay a bit more, but 200% is crazy. So, let's say I book a stateroom (cruise-only) for me and John Doe. John doens't show up, taxes are refunded. But I want to buy a drinking package in advance. Celebrity FAQ says that all persons of legal drinking age in the stateroom must buy a package. Preferably I only want to buy myself a Premium Package (heavy drinker) and nothing for John ;). But that doesn't seem to work. Is the only work around here to get a Zero-Package for John and simply 'lose' that money?

Any other creative ideas are more than welcome 🙂

Could you not just buy the solo package on board if you're thinking the second guest might not make it? 

As of today there has been no change to the pricing policy for charging singles quite a bit more than the price of two guests. I do not understand their reasoning and there has been no further contact from the executive office regarding ostracizing singles. It is extremely frustrating. So now the result is messing up their inventory for cruises. Thanks to all who understood the issue. 

3 minutes ago, citruscruiser said:

As of today there has been no change to the pricing policy for charging singles quite a bit more than the price of two guests. I do not understand their reasoning and there has been no further contact from the executive office regarding ostracizing singles. It is extremely frustrating. So now the result is messing up their inventory for cruises. Thanks to all who understood the issue. 

I saw great deals for Windstar this morning for solos.

On 12/27/2023 at 5:40 PM, Straughn said:

I think there is another factor involved in the solo cabin pricing. That is what the number crunchers perceive as lost shipboard/ancillary revenue. If there is only one person in the cabin, that person will only book for one in a specialty restaurant, only book a tour for one, only book one person at a wine tasting, only gamble for one etc. IMO, this over the top solo pricing is to recoup some of what Celebrity thinks is lost revenue from solo passengers. And, as many of us have cruised before, we may not book anything extra. I often don’t, especially in the Caribbean, where I have been many times. If I want to get off the ship, I just walk around as I don’t need a tour. 

LHB has said that she wants to focus on making Celebrity a cruise line for families. Her target market is in the 30-50 age range who, whether traveling as a couple or with kiddos, are likely to spend $$ on the ship. Long time Celebrity cruisers and solos don’t spend as much money as new cruisers do.

Hello,

I think you are crediting the marking team with too much intelligence to dream-up (unfair) ways of extracting more money from solo cruisers. I think they dream-up clever ideas, apply it to couples, and don't even think about solo cruises. When challenged, they have to say something along the lines of 'Of course that's what is intended' and not 'Oh dear, we didn't think of that'.

Re LHB & family cruising: I'm sure someone somewhere has got the number of 'families per berth' for US cruisers. I think that the couples with kiddos booking a cruise will be doing so more as a 'celebratory' cruise than one of a flow of bookings and so after a while the pool of 'celebrants' will become exhausted whereas us seasoned regular cruisers will book, book and book aqain.

Possible good news for anyone (in the UK) that missed it, Jo Rzymowska has joined Hays Travel as a non-executive director.

Regards,

Cublet

On 12/24/2023 at 7:02 PM, GVM said:

2. As a solo traveller I am willing to pay a bit more, but 200% is crazy. So, let's say I book a stateroom (cruise-only) for me and John Doe. John doens't show up, taxes are refunded. But I want to buy a drinking package in advance. Celebrity FAQ says that all persons of legal drinking age in the stateroom must buy a package. Preferably I only want to buy myself a Premium Package (heavy drinker) and nothing for John ;). But that doesn't seem to work. Is the only work around here to get a Zero-Package for John and simply 'lose' that money?

Any other creative ideas are more than welcome 🙂

After the second passenger is cancelled, you can book the pre-paid drink package for one. You can cancel the second passenger shortly after booking (maybe wait until final payment?).

On 12/27/2023 at 7:42 PM, D. B. said:

I just experienced the same thing booking an Alaska cruise. The Total price for Both my son and daughter in a Window Cabin on Summit (May,2025) was $1867 with Tips And without  X's insurance. For Me in an Inside cabin with tips and no insurance is $2858. 

The reason is that X figures out How Much Each guest is likely going to spend Over and Above the Cruise price once onboard.

My taking up a cabin Solo is going to cost X the extra that missing second guest was  probably going to spend.?

That's suggesting X thinks your son and daughter are each going to spend $1000 onboard, and so they're charging you an extra $1000 to make up that difference. On-board revenues year-to-date for RCL are 45% of passenger ticket revenues, the pricing you're quoting suggests they think on-board should be >100% of the ticket revenues, so it doesn't compute. 

On 12/27/2023 at 7:42 PM, D. B. said:

Well I cruise Solo a lot and know the price for any cabin will be double.

Yes, this isn't unreasonable, it's the same for a hotel.

4 hours ago, gordiej said:

That's suggesting X thinks your son and daughter are each going to spend $1000 onboard, and so they're charging you an extra $1000 to make up that difference. On-board revenues year-to-date for RCL are 45% of passenger ticket revenues, the pricing you're quoting suggests they think on-board should be >100% of the ticket revenues, so it doesn't compute. 

Yes, this isn't unreasonable, it's the same for a hotel.

But the price for a solo isn't double, it's more than the price for two in a cabin.  Example pricing for Silhouette March 25, 2024, booking at nonrefundable fare in AQ:

double:  $4,503.60

solo:      $5,827.00

In my view, that's highway (or seaway) robbery.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

But the price for a solo isn't double, it's more than the price for two in a cabin.  Example pricing for Silhouette March 25, 2024, booking at nonrefundable fare in AQ:

double:  $4,503.60

solo:      $5,827.00

In my view, that's highway (or seaway) robbery.

Have you read the rest of this topic?

1 hour ago, CardowMD said:

As of 2022, there are estimate 36.2 million single -person households in the US. That seems like it should be worth some consideration….

NCL is considering.  Celebrity not so much!

Last time I checked NCL were charging double for a room unless you bought a solo room, when I purchased my room with NCL the solo rooms were an inside cabin with a 'virtual' window (basically a tv screen). I haven't looked up their recent plans for refit because Celebrity has better solo rooms in my opinion

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Last time I checked NCL were charging double for a room unless you bought a solo room, when I purchased my room with NCL the solo rooms were an inside cabin with a 'virtual' window (basically a tv screen). I haven't looked up their recent plans for refit because Celebrity has better solo rooms in my opinion

I have checked several Celebrity where they charge more for a solo than the total of 2 people.  Also, on Celebrity newer ships they charge more for a solo balcony than a regular balcony for 1.  NCL just added new categories of solo cabins.  I just completed an NCL.  The studio cabins seem to get sold out for more $ than a solo inside as people want this.  The only way to get access to the studio lounge is to book a studio or now, as of today, book one of the new category of solo cabins.  

The issue isn't that they're charging double occupancy for a single passenger - I get that, much as I may dislike it. If the room can hold 2 people then they want the full price for 2 people. The issue is that they're not extending the same sale price for a solo occupant as they are for double occupancy. A cabin I just booked for a bucket list cruise as a solo costed me about $8k for a veranda. If I booked with a second occupant, it would have only costed about $6k. Same room, same cruise.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Why do people try to force what they consider to be sufficient for their needs, and gaslight you when you want what you want? If you want an inside room, enjoy. But don’t try to sell NCL cause they have a designated subpar vacation option for “the solo” traveler. I beg! 😂

On 1/1/2024 at 1:50 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Yes, I have.  Why do you ask?  I never comment on a thread without reading all of it.

Because there's lots of discussion on how to avoid this highway robbery of which you speak.

I just booked a trip on the summit.  The celebrity pricing was doing the same thing for me and charging an astronomical amount for a solo.  I phoned a large internet based travel agent.  He not only got me a fantastic price for a prime concierge class room (cheaper than a gurantee inside room on the website), but he was able to do it as a solo summplent which just removed the 2nd person's taxes on the sale rate he had quoted.  I am usually a big fan of booking with the cruise lines directly, but this saved me about $1200

• Like 1

I just did a mock booking for a cruise in July 2024. If I book as two people the prices is $8,994.52 (Canadian funds…cruise only…included gratuities…non refundable…concierge cabin) then I did the exact same thing but as a solo and the price jumped to $11,938.26 how is that possible? I am waiting to speak to Vacation planner at Celebrity in case it is just a web issue but from hearing from others the pricing might actually be accurate. 
why should I be paying $3000 more as a solo? How does one get around this gouging? 

On 12/27/2023 at 1:23 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I would do the exact same.     Just make a dummy booking with any name as second passenger and unfortunately they got sick and couldn't make the cruise.

Do you tell the cruise line 48 hours before boarding or wait until you are on board to tell them that one is a no show so they do not try to reprice you as a singe? Does a last minute cancellation affect the manifest or cause an issue to the one cruising? 

6 hours ago, Just love 2 cruise said:

I just did a mock booking for a cruise in July 2024. If I book as two people the prices is $8,994.52 (Canadian funds…cruise only…included gratuities…non refundable…concierge cabin) then I did the exact same thing but as a solo and the price jumped to $11,938.26 how is that possible? I am waiting to speak to Vacation planner at Celebrity in case it is just a web issue but from hearing from others the pricing might actually be accurate. 
why should I be paying $3000 more as a solo? How does one get around this gouging? 

Totally agree with this situation.  As with the great evening buffet debacle of January 2023, I suggest that as many people as possible email executiveoffice@celebrity.com.  While I don't imagine that the response will be the same as many of us received last January (with a very quick phone call from a rep and buffet soon back to almost normal), they really need to know that this is not ok.  As with several issues over the years, possibly this will make a difference. Possibly the new executive team will just ignore us... no way to know unless we try.

I already emailed and expressed my sadness that after many Celebrity cruises over the years, I will not be booking more than I already have booked before this ridiculous price increase.  Just sad for those who cruise solo through no choice of their own... like having a spouse die or being divorced... not to mention those who choose to be single.  I have never complained about paying the price for double occupancy, but this new pricing strategy has significantly increased even that.  Here is an example... 10/1/24 11nt Canaries & Portugal... double occ $6559 cruise only... solo cruise only $9320.  More than ridiculous!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, twincheryl said:

Totally agree with this situation.  As with the great evening buffet debacle of January 2023, I suggest that as many people as possible email executiveoffice@celebrity.com.  While I don't imagine that the response will be the same as many of us received last January (with a very quick phone call from a rep and buffet soon back to almost normal), they really need to know that this is not ok.  As with several issues over the years, possibly this will make a difference. Possibly the new executive team will just ignore us... no way to know unless we try.

I already emailed and expressed my sadness that after many Celebrity cruises over the years, I will not be booking more than I already have booked before this ridiculous price increase.  Just sad for those who cruise solo through no choice of their own... like having a spouse die or being divorced... not to mention those who choose to be single.  I have never complained about paying the price for double occupancy, but this new pricing strategy has significantly increased even that.  Here is an example... 10/1/24 11nt Canaries & Portugal... double occ $6559 cruise only... solo cruise only $9320.  More than ridiculous!

For what it is worth..I  Spoke to my Vacation Planner who told me the current ‘deal’ which is 75% off second guest was not carried over to the solo traveller. However IF that deal is taken off the table then the pricing for solo travellers would balance that of double occupancy. She said HO is aware but she has not heard of any changes coming down the pipeline