Missed port claim

Bin man

Finally received two missed port claims today .Average time quoted was 5 working days .Took 25 working days after numerous emails telephone calls.First time I have claimed for missed ports in 30 cruises .I didn't get a letter from the  first cruise on Ventura but P and O emailed me one in 4 working days so good on them .It must be horrendous trying to get a larger claim for any type of illness causing you to miss or foreshorten any cruise . I did have a successful claim 6 years ago for a broken ankle with another firm and feel it was not as stressful so might be changing next year back to them .

It was with Nationwide. I have free travel insurance as part of my current account package and pay an extra £40 a year for cruise cover to cover missed ports, cabin confinement etc.. I use this account just for cruising as there are also no foreign transaction charges or fees and the exchange rates are very favourable. 

• Like 2

Many thanks for reply .Mine was avanti cruise cover done online just seemed to take forever .Payed out £400 for the two missed ports for the 2 of us on the 2 cruises .Was worried they might look for loop holes but should be thankfull in the end 

• Like 1

We had a missed port claim back in September with Admiral. They took about two weeks also. It was very easy and the communication was clear and timely, I started the process online and then received follow up phone calls from Admiral to advise me on the progress of the claim.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

It was with Nationwide. I have free travel insurance as part of my current account package and pay an extra £40 a year for cruise cover to cover missed ports, cabin confinement etc.. I use this account just for cruising as there are also no foreign transaction charges or fees and the exchange rates are very favourable. 

This is good to hear. We are now with Nationwide and paid the small amount extra for the cruise cover. I’ve lost count of how many missed ports we’ve had with P&O over the years and we’ve never been able to claim before. Whilst I hope that we don’t miss any ports on our 65 night cruise in a few weeks time, we have 28 ports and I strongly suspect that at least 1 will end up being a casualty. If so, it will be some small consolation to know that the end result will be the equivalent of a full refund of the entire premium for the annual policy!

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

This is good to hear. We are now with Nationwide and paid the small amount extra for the cruise cover. I’ve lost count of how many missed ports we’ve had with P&O over the years and we’ve never been able to claim before. Whilst I hope that we don’t miss any ports on our 65 night cruise in a few weeks time, we have 28 ports and I strongly suspect that at least 1 will end up being a casualty. If so, it will be some small consolation to know that the end result will be the equivalent of a full refund of the entire premium for the annual policy!

Sooner or later surely Nationwide will need to review the "free" insurance cover they are offering with their Flex Plus account. It's far far more generous than any stand alone travel insurance policy, and quite a bit more generous than other bank account offers.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Sooner or later surely Nationwide will need to review the "free" insurance cover they are offering with their Flex Plus account. It's far far more generous than any stand alone travel insurance policy, and quite a bit more generous than other bank account offers.

Quite possibly, although I suspect that those of us who cruise regularly are a minuscule percentage of their customer base, so whilst they might lose money out of us as a group, it’s hopefully not enough to destabilise the scheme 🤞

Anyone claimed for a missed sea day?

Boarded Ventura 5 December.  Scheduled to arrive Vigo on 08 December.  Bad weather coming in, so Captain puts the handles down to get ahead of it and we arrive in Vigo on 07 December departing the following day.  Rest of itinery as scheduled, so one sea day less.

Tongue in cheek aside, we had our best port call to Vigo ever.  We'd booked the Santiago de Compostela on your own trip, which was brought forward to the 7th.  So a day out there, and then went ashore in Vigo in the evening to the Old Town and the Christmas Market near the harbour.  Lovely lights and decorations.  Great pre-Christmas atmosphere.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

the free part of their cover doesn't include missed port, so you have to top up for that. However the 13£ a month includes travel, breakdown and phone cover. although I use the AA breakdown and now top up for the cruise - I think they are still up on the usage of the benefits that we have claimed as a family. It may actually help they are still a building society and not beholden to shareholders, but they havent had top savers rates in their normal accounts for awhile.

12 hours ago, Selbourne said:

They didn't even want the letter we had from Princess although I offered to send it. Just make sure the insurance covers 65 days , I haven't got our policy handy to check as some insurers only cover up to 60 days.  Like wise House insurance sometimes only cover up to 60 days empty.

Have a great trip 

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

They didn't even want the letter we had from Princess although I offered to send it. Just make sure the insurance covers 65 days , I haven't got our policy handy to check as some insurers only cover up to 60 days.  Like wise House insurance sometimes only cover up to 60 days empty.

Have a great trip 

Thanks. We paid extra to up the cover to 71 days (as it’s the same price as 65 days, which is what the cruise is). The cruise cover was just £40, which seems incredibly cheap given that just 1 missed port will result in us receiving £150 each compensation (I believe). 

House insurance was an odd one. Ours is 60 days max unoccupied and, if you deduct the day we go and the day we get back (as the house is not unoccupied on those days) we are just 4 days over that. I had assumed that we would be uncovered for the whole trip on that basis, but our insurers have confirmed (in writing) that we are fully covered for the first full 60 days that we are away. They don’t consider regular visits by family, or one overnight stay, as sufficient, so one of our daughters is going to stay here for a week and work from home during our cruise so that it comfortably ‘breaks’ the 60 days. I looked at separate unoccupied property insurance, but they had so many conditions and exemptions that our standard house insurance doesn’t have I considered that to be more of a risk!

11 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Anyone claimed for a missed sea day?

Boarded Ventura 5 December.  Scheduled to arrive Vigo on 08 December.  Bad weather coming in, so Captain puts the handles down to get ahead of it and we arrive in Vigo on 07 December departing the following day.  Rest of itinery as scheduled, so one sea day less.

Tongue in cheek aside, we had our best port call to Vigo ever.  We'd booked the Santiago de Compostela on your own trip, which was brought forward to the 7th.  So a day out there, and then went ashore in Vigo in the evening to the Old Town and the Christmas Market near the harbour.  Lovely lights and decorations.  Great pre-Christmas atmosphere.

We walked to Santiago. Didn't get the Camino badge as we only walked from the coach park. We ate the Cake last Christmas. Marks and flipping Spencer this year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I disagree, it's not at all more generous than stand alone policies. For instance the amount insured (cost of holiday) is fairly small and needs extending for at least two of our holidays (and you can only do that on a per holiday basis). Cruise cover is extra at £40 as has been mentioned. Scuba Diving cover is limited to a very shallow 18m unless you pay extra, and even then you are limited to 30m (and the cost of the extra is just not competitive with standalone insurance). The amount covered for missed ports is less generous than standalone polices with cruise cover.

Overall it is still good value, given the cost of the account and that being also bundled with breakdown cover and phone insurance.