Consequences of attacks on shipping in the Red sea

Peter Lanky

6 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

Consensus of onboard rumors, if that can be considered to be a reliable source, is that they will tell us when we're in Sydney, so probably March 1, if they're going to change the itinerary. 

Great, we board in Sydney for a few legs !

• Like 1

Just received this email relating to our October Athens to Dubai cruise on Pursuit, it’s only one port change so the plan is still to transit the Red Sea.

Dear Azamara Guest,

We hope this message finds you well and eagerly anticipating your upcoming voyage aboard Azamara Pursuit®. As we prepare for your journey scheduled for October 26, 2024, we wanted to share an important update regarding your itinerary.

Due to the ongoing situation in the Middle East, we have made the decision to adjust your itinerary for the safety and well-being of both our guests and crew. As a result, we will be removing the port of Elait from your itinerary and replacing it with the stunning destination of Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.

While we understand that changes to travel plans can sometimes be inconvenient, please know that your safety remains our top priority. We apologize for any disruption this adjustment may cause to your travel arrangements.

Sharm El Sheikh is a breathtaking coastal city renowned for its crystal-clear waters, vibrant coral reefs, and stunning beaches. Additionally, the city offers opportunities for cultural exploration, with historic sites such as the Old Market and the Al Mustafa Mosque waiting to be discovered.

If you have already booked shore excursions through Azamara to the port of Elait, rest assured that any payments made will be refunded to the original form of payment.

We sincerely appreciate your understanding and flexibility as we navigate these changes. Our team is committed to ensuring that your experience aboard the Azamara Pursuit is nothing short of exceptional, and we look forward to welcoming you on board for a memorable journey.

Should you have any questions or need guidance of what you can explore in any destination please contact your Travel Advisor or click here for your local Azamara call center number. 

Sincerely,

AZAMARA®

The revised Itinerary can be viewed below. 

old-itinerary.png?width=1200&upscale=tru
021324-PR241026-OLD
new-itinerary
021324-PR241026-NEW

Yes, saw that and just posted about it on the Roll Call.

I'm surprised they haven't taken the opportunity to make a much more radical change. As I opened the email, I expected to see Dubai as an end destination had become the Canaries (or similar).

We haven't booked flights or any pre- or post-cruise accommodation, as I'm still of the opinion it won't happen.

2 hours ago, Riocca said:

Just received this email relating to our October Athens to Dubai cruise on Pursuit, it’s only one port change so the plan is still to transit the Red Sea.

Dear Azamara Guest,

We hope this message finds you well and eagerly anticipating your upcoming voyage aboard Azamara Pursuit®. As we prepare for your journey scheduled for October 26, 2024, we wanted to share an important update regarding your itinerary.

Due to the ongoing situation in the Middle East, we have made the decision to adjust your itinerary for the safety and well-being of both our guests and crew. As a result, we will be removing the port of Elait from your itinerary and replacing it with the stunning destination of Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.

While we understand that changes to travel plans can sometimes be inconvenient, please know that your safety remains our top priority. We apologize for any disruption this adjustment may cause to your travel arrangements.

Sharm El Sheikh is a breathtaking coastal city renowned for its crystal-clear waters, vibrant coral reefs, and stunning beaches. Additionally, the city offers opportunities for cultural exploration, with historic sites such as the Old Market and the Al Mustafa Mosque waiting to be discovered.

If you have already booked shore excursions through Azamara to the port of Elait, rest assured that any payments made will be refunded to the original form of payment.

We sincerely appreciate your understanding and flexibility as we navigate these changes. Our team is committed to ensuring that your experience aboard the Azamara Pursuit is nothing short of exceptional, and we look forward to welcoming you on board for a memorable journey.

Should you have any questions or need guidance of what you can explore in any destination please contact your Travel Advisor or click here for your local Azamara call center number. 

Sincerely,

AZAMARA®

The revised Itinerary can be viewed below. 

old-itinerary.png?width=1200&upscale=tru
021324-PR241026-OLD
new-itinerary
021324-PR241026-NEW

Wonder when they are going to get the right spelling for EILAT.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The rebels in Yemen have now stated that US, British and Israeli ships are "banned" in the Red Sea. Recent attacks demonstrate they still have the capacity to damage ships. The conflict in Gaza seems likely to continue for some time. Clearly this is a really difficult time for cruise ship companies but the longer they delay what seems to be an inevatible decision to re route around Africa the less options they and their passengers will have. 

2 hours ago, Splodnap said:

At least Azamara  is looking at a change for October. Viking Sky and Neptune are due in the Red Sea for Suez 4th and 7th April and still no information  on itinerary  changes.

We are booked on Azamara Journey Singapore to Athens May 3 and the only comment has been we are monitoring the situation. Most cruise lines have cancelled cruise through the Red Sea for March, April and May. Hopefully your October cruise can go ahead and peace resumes in the Middle East.

1 hour ago, souths said:

We are booked on Azamara Journey Singapore to Athens May 3 and the only comment has been we are monitoring the situation. Most cruise lines have cancelled cruise through the Red Sea for March, April and May. Hopefully your October cruise can go ahead and peace resumes in the Middle East.

Meanwhile, United and Delta are resuming flights to Israel.  Don't know what this means for Red Sea cruises, but it is the first positive note I've heard since last October.

9 hours ago, Splodnap said:

At least Azamara  is looking at a change for October. Viking Sky and Neptune are due in the Red Sea for Suez 4th and 7th April and still no information  on itinerary  changes.

Viking are registrered in Norway. Maybe they will wait and see if they can get away with that.

I am sot seeing the Huthis as being choosy at who they attack. The last 'hit' may have been registered in the UK, but was Lebanese owned. I wonder how well that went down (pun intended)? As far as they are concerned, all of 'The West' is the enemy. I can't see any ship wanting to play against those odds.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, souths said:

Interesting....Seabourn Sojourn has announced termination of that identical (which was the final) leg i.e. Singapore to Athens a day earlier (2nd May), on their ATW cruise. The only reason we know this is because the ship will then transit with crew only, around Africa to Athens to recommence the scheduled cruises from Athens and we have just booked the Athens to Barcelona cruise 5 June.

This is a replacement for the cancelled Oceania Insignia cruise, Barcelona to Southampton, which was part of the ATW cruise which can no longer transit the Red Sea area. All being well, this will be a new cruiseline experience for us.

Edited by hamrag
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Interesting....Seabourn Sojourn has announced termination of that identical (which was the final) leg i.e. Singapore to Athens a day earlier (2nd May), on their ATW cruise. The only reason we know this is because the ship will then transit with crew only, around Africa to Athens to recommence the scheduled cruises from Athens and we have just booked the Athens to Barcelona cruise 5 June.

This is a replacement for the cancelled Oceania Insignia cruise, Barcelona to Southampton, which was part of the ATW cruise which can no longer transit the Red Sea area. All being well, this will be a new cruiseline experience for us.

Thanks for that, yet another cruise cancelled. I am think about the cost of a flack jacket 🤣🤣

Viking  have now announced  that  the original itinerary  will end in Kochi and then head back to London  via the Cape picking up the original itinerary  in Lisbon with final arrival date as per original schedule. Final details  to follow in aboutb7 days

Booked on the May 3 Singapore to Athens cruise. I sent Azamara an email seeking clarity about what options they were considering given the fact that most other cruise lines have made the decision to change itineraries and avoid the Red Sea. I received a reply today, standard response, closely monitoring situation will inform customers if there is any itinerary change. Disappointing response, as a passenger I have to book connecting flights, manage insurance, organize visas etc and I am running out of time to do these things. I have enjoyed my three cruises on Azamara very much but their lack of decisiveness in this situation is annoying, The sooner they accept that the Red Sea is not likely to be a safe place for a cruise ship in May the more likely they are to find an alternative itinerary which will appeal to the maximum number of passengers

• Like 1

Here here!!!  We have already booked flights to Singapore and back to the UK from Athens. Having to change these at short notice could be very costly and Azamara are not being fair to their loyal customers.

More complications for cruise lines trying to re-route ships away from the Red Sea as a stop in Cape Town would probably be required for re provisioning.
https://news.sky.com/story/norwegian-cruise-ship-blocked-from-docking-in-mauritius-over-health-risks-13081514

Reports elsewhere are saying it’s suspected as being cholera.

There were reports on CC of passengers on Pursuit suffering stomach problems during its South African season as well.

Edited by Riocca

2 hours ago, Riocca said:

More complications for cruise lines trying to re-route ships away from the Red Sea as a stop in Cape Town would probably be required for re provisioning.
https://news.sky.com/story/norwegian-cruise-ship-blocked-from-docking-in-mauritius-over-health-risks-13081514

There were reports on CC of passengers on Pursuit suffering stomach problems during its South African season as well.

Now being reported as Gastroenteritis but it’s still another worry for we could all do without.

We are booked on Pursuit for the October Red Sea transit so we are watching to see what happens with Onward & Journey with interest.

3 hours ago, Riocca said:

Pursuit has now been declared 'healthy'. The pool is open and food is self service again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, govanguy said:

Not looking good for Norwegian. However, someone has made a decision in advance.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/02/norwegian-sky-cruises-cancelled-due-to-red-sea-conflict/

As regards Pursuit in October I fear the easiest decision is to cancel our 18 night Athens to Dubai cruise and the following Dubai R/T and running empty from Athens to Dubai around the Cape to pick up the following itinerary.

There bigger problem is Onward with 200 World cruise passengers onboard expecting a reasonable alternative itinerary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Riocca said:

As regards Pursuit in October I fear the easiest decision is to cancel our 18 night Athens to Dubai cruise and the following Dubai R/T and running empty from Athens to Dubai around the Cape to pick up the following itinerary.

There bigger problem is Onward with 200 World cruise passengers onboard expecting a reasonable alternative itinerary.

Agreed. If they were to cancel now I would consider rebooking something else with Azamara. 

Leave it too late and I`ll be looking at other alternatives as , most likely, other Azamara cruises round that time could be fully occupied. 

My thoughts are that they are leaving the inevitable decisions to as late as possible to retain deposits made and hoping that people will cancel and lose their non refundable deposit.

A case of who will blink first....

In addition, they may be looking at cancellations for those who have nothing to lose up to the final payment date before cancelling .

If enough of this category cancel, surely it's a no go?

I`ve already booked flights for this cruise....It`s a good one that I did in 2022...I`m unsettled..