Consequences of attacks on shipping in the Red sea

Peter Lanky

Agree, no point debating this, countries set the vaccination requirements and if we want to go to their country we have to be vaccinated. The only variable that really matters is when Azamara will make a decision - once we have that information we can all make informed decisions to cancel or agree to an alternative itinerary. I for one would be very interested in a longer cruise from Singapore to Athens via east, south and west Africa.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, blag said:

What makes you say that they wouldn't accept this? Plus... SA is only insists on YF Certificates if you have recently been to country where YF is endemic. We flew in from London last February and were not asked for our YF certificates on landing.

Azamara were also somewhat disorganised about checking vaccination certificates on embarkation, and later during the cruise. On the Cape Town to Lisbon cruise (Feb/Mar 2023) there were guests who were not asked for Certification, there were those with forged Certificates, and there were those who were not allowed to leave the ship at at least one port-of-call.

Information on the South African government website regarding YF vaccination states that if you travel to SA via a country on their YF list you must have a valid YF certificate issued within the last 10 years. This is at odds with the WHO guidelines that all YF certificates now have lifetime validity.

So flying directly to South Africa from Europe & America isn’t a problem, but if you are on a cruise itinerary that transits a country on their YF list, even if you don’t go ashore, you won’t be allowed entry if your last vacation is over 10 years ago. This creates a problem for us as our last vacation is 13 years ago and in the U.K. we would be unable to get another one as others have already said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's our take on the YF Vax question, since we were/are on 2 sailings where it was an issue. 

For South Africa the only reason that we needed a YF Vax within the last 10 years was because we previously visited The Gambia and Senegal, considered active zones. Neither Onward nor Journey will  visit an active zone prior as far as I know. 

Azamara notified us yesterday that the requirements for Mindelo (Quest sailing 15 March) was due to the government there requiring it because the ship previously visited areas (presumably Brazil and Argentina) where YF does occur. No less than 10 year requirement and you can still board without it, just not go outside in Mindelo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

No active zones anywhere in potential Onward/Journey itineraries prior to South Africa. 

Edit: map I  posted was a few years old so deleted, but currently guidance is similar. 

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Riocca said:

but if you are on a cruise itinerary that transits a country on their YF list, even if you don’t go ashore, you won’t be allowed entry if your last vacation is over 10 years ago

But... I think that cruises from the east or north are unlikely to transit countries which are on that list. 

• Like 1

Sigh. I feel very unmoored. I have called both my TA and Azamara. Two weeks ago, the cruise we were to have joined out of Southampton to NYC was cancelled. Yesterday, I committed to a land tour in Ireland, to replace the second cruise and redid our airfare to reflect a multi-city trip. We both feel Azamara is doing damage to the brand by not sharing their plans with us. We almost feel they are holding out for something. Several plausible scenarios for that. I understand these are all first world problems but several thousand of us are impacted by their laissez-faire attitude. Safety of passengers is the first priority of the captains aboard Azamara. We have the utmost respect for them. I  feel very uncomfortable and untethered by this whole thing. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Riocca said:

I was basing information on this article https://www.cruisehive.com/the-impact-of-red-sea-tensions-on-cruising/120792

That being the case Azamara appears to be on their own on this one, hopefully they will announce something soon.

Azamara is not the only one that hasn't cancelled/re-routed.  Silversea also (and they have RCG behind them to help with replanning):

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 8:48 AM, Riocca said:

Royal Caribbean’s World cruise has rerouted via Africa after putting it to a vote with their passengers and are now trying to organise the necessary vaccinations and any visas required for their passengers. 
It looks like it’s now only Azamara and HAL with their 2024 World cruise who are prevaricating about transiting the Red Sea. 
Our cruise that transit the Red Sea is not until October so we have plenty of time to replan but I feel for those with cruises starting in April & May. Could it be that now independent Azamara lack the resources to quickly replan the effected itineraries?

On 3/2/2024 at 8:48 AM, Riocca said:

Royal Caribbean’s World cruise has rerouted via Africa after putting it to a vote with their passengers and are now trying to organise the necessary vaccinations and any visas required for their passengers. 
It looks like it’s now only Azamara and HAL with their 2024 World cruise who are prevaricating about transiting the Red Sea. 
Our cruise that transit the Red Sea is not until October so we have plenty of time to replan but I feel for those with cruises starting in April & May. Could it be that now independent Azamara lack the resources to quickly replan the effected itineraries?

Hal has also re routed around Africa , has Virgin, Island Princess and Coral Princess. Seabourne cancelled the last leg of their cruise and sailed around Africa without passengers. We cancelled Azamara Spice cruise on Friday as we need some decision and fortunately managed to get on a Viking river cruise.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, souths said:

Hal has also re routed around Africa , has Virgin, Island Princess and Coral Princess. Seabourne cancelled the last leg of their cruise and sailed around Africa without passengers. We cancelled Azamara Spice cruise on Friday as we need some decision and fortunately managed to get on a Viking river cruise.

Coral has changed to go around Africa with passengers for the first leg and then we come back through the Panama Canal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hotel lady said:

Which Viking river cruise were you able to get on?  Dates/port??

Thanks

Mary

Capitals of Eastern Europe May 10 from Bucharest to Vienna. Flying Turkish airlines from Singapore to Bucharest May 3 at a good price.

This brings back frustrating memories of the Black Sea cruises that they kept on selling when we all knew the cruise was not at all possible. It ended up as a totally different itinerary whilst keeping the same high cost. We had to quote UK consumer law to get a full refund. I know it's very tricky for them but they will have to bit the bullet and make a decision. The sooner the better for all those impacted.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, souths said:

Capitals of Eastern Europe May 10 from Bucharest to Vienna. Flying Turkish airlines from Singapore to Bucharest May 3 at a good price.

Pray that the Danube is navigable... Continental Europe has had a very dry winter. 

26 minutes ago, blag said:

Pray that the Danube is navigable... Continental Europe has had a very dry winter. 

You must not follow the Danube thread in River Cruising.  It has been a very wet winter, with higher than normal water levels.  Snow pack is not that great, but the ground is quite saturated.

Posted Feb. 29: 

"To the present: The situation along the Danube is very agreeable and there is a high chance for a good start to the river cruising season."

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2984995-danube-water-levels-2024-and-similar-topics-plus-tips-and-info/page/3/#comment-67010776

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello all. Well Azamara have finally accepted that the cruise must be cancelled. To all who were booked to go through the Red Sea I am sorry i will not meet you. Now, as for the options Azamara are offering after cancelling, I am less than eimpressed. Firstly choose another cruise of 27 days or less with some minor benefits - guess whart there are no cruises of 27 days so we are asked to choose a shorter cruise with no compensation. Secondly accept a 130 %  Credit. But what happens to the credits, additional services etc that were part of our original booking? Thirdly reach out to our travel agen for further options. Well there is an issue with full refunds - those refunds will come minus the commission of our agent. Frankly in identical circumstances other companies have chosen to reimburse agents as well as providing a full refund to customers.Come on Azamara, we want to cruise with you agaqin but this is a poor response, especially given the delay in making the decision. Easy to offer support for airfares lost what about the cost of visas and hotels?

2 hours ago, Kayena Kevin said:

Hello all. Well Azamara have finally accepted that the cruise must be cancelled. To all who were booked to go through the Red Sea I am sorry i will not meet you. Now, as for the options Azamara are offering after cancelling, I am less than eimpressed. Firstly choose another cruise of 27 days or less with some minor benefits - guess whart there are no cruises of 27 days so we are asked to choose a shorter cruise with no compensation. Secondly accept a 130 %  Credit. But what happens to the credits, additional services etc that were part of our original booking? Thirdly reach out to our travel agen for further options. Well there is an issue with full refunds - those refunds will come minus the commission of our agent. Frankly in identical circumstances other companies have chosen to reimburse agents as well as providing a full refund to customers.Come on Azamara, we want to cruise with you agaqin but this is a poor response, especially given the delay in making the decision. Easy to offer support for airfares lost what about the cost of visas and hotels?

I'm not one affected, but thought that the compensation is more than fare.  The commission, that's on your TA, not Azamara. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Kayena Kevin said:

Why is your TA entitled to a commission?  Is that the rule for cancelled cruises in Australia.  

what happened during the pandemic when many cruises were cancelled?

14 hours ago, Kayena Kevin said:

Some maybe all travel agents here have cancellation fees written into their terms. We have not yet talked to our agent (long weekend here) so do not know yet what will happen.

That is a TA thing then, not an Azamara issue, so you can't blame Azamara for that.  I'm very close to a TA that lost ALL  commissions for 2020 and most of 2021.  I understand why some would now have a cancellation clause, but the cruise lines don't.

• Like 1

The issue is not if a TA charges a cancellation fee but the lateness of the decision by Azamara. There are 2 options and ring if you’re not satisfied. The 3rd option should be a full refund. Fortunately our TA while taking a $200 cancellation fee of our full refund turns it into a future  travel credit which they are applying to another cruise we had already booked with them.

Given all other cruise lines cancelled weeks ago Azamara decision making needs improvement. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, laurieb said:

That is a TA thing then, not an Azamara issue, so you can't blame Azamara for that.  I'm very close to a TA that lost ALL  commissions for 2020 and most of 2021.  I understand why some would now have a cancellation clause, but the cruise lines don't.

Yes, my TA daughter was in the same position.

• Like 1