Surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge

TrueCruiseaholic

31 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Would anyone know if the WCB is on Beyond. I had read they were going to add it since it is so popular. I do like the odd drink even though I don't have a package.

We did the Spring Transatlantic on the Beyond.  Yes, the World Class Bar is there.  It is tucked in above the Martini Bar on the deck above.  

• Thanks 1

Don't mess with my Hendricks/Grey Goose re the Premium Package..all will be good.

Most ships BOURBON selection almost always lets me down..regardless of line.  I pivot, and work with what they have.  

I'm sort of glad I'm not tied to one or two particular wines...I can take it or leave it.  Costco Kikland Pinot Grigio works for me at home. 🙂

• Like 3

With the purchase of a $10k Sky you would think that anything on this list would be included

it also doesn’t match the app. How hard can this be ? 

5 minutes ago, tfred said:

With the purchase of a $10k Sky you would think that anything on this list would be included

it also doesn’t match the app. How hard can this be ? 

With all the missteps Celebrity has made recently this one seems to be the worst, so far. Thanks for dropping big bucks to stay in a suite but we still want more. That will be $2.40 please. Cha Ching. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Midsomer Madness said:

I can’t tell, is that $19 for a glass of Prosecco? If so it’s just a rip off, can buy a bottle in Tesco for £8 in the UK 

You can bring two bottles of it on the ship....

I still don't understand how people equate how much a wine costs on land vs on the open seas.  Start a cruise line, sell it for $16 on board, make a fortune.  🙂

Do I think the $2 charges are somewhat silly, yes...but the cost of it at your local liquor store just doesn't equate in my mind.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diav said:

There was such a glare in Luminae but here goes

40D50D2F-12D5-449F-BCD0-B41B3BF64E95.jpeg

They should be ashamed of themselves.  Some on the list could really be classified as mass-market 'beverages' rather than wine.  Disgraceful.  If anyone ever sees me paying $19 for a glass of J Lohr, please have me admitted.

Edited by Winemaker_1
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I still don't understand how people equate how much a wine costs on land vs on the open seas.  Start a cruise line, sell it for $16 on board, make a fortune.  🙂

Do I think the $2 charges are somewhat silly, yes...but the cost of it at your local liquor store just doesn't equate in my mind.  

Yes I know I can, I just think it’s a daft price for a glass of bog standard fizzy plonk…still don’t know if is 19 or 16 though? Not that it makes much difference 😂

Edited by Midsomer Madness

34 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

the point is few of us like being insulted by the wierd arrangement X puts out. In my case,they moved a wine thats 5 a bottle from classic to premium, and thats plain old nuts.

Edited by HMR74
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Midsomer Madness said:

I can’t tell, is that $19 for a glass of Prosecco? If so it’s just a rip off, can buy a bottle in Tesco for £8 in the UK 

In the photo, the prosecco is $10 per glass.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

How do you find value on a wine list if you don't have a basis for what it should cost? What it costs in the local liquor store is the best approximation of what the wholesale cost per bottle is. Honestly, the fact that you can't grasp this simple fact doesn't equate in my mind.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, RichYak said:

How do you find value on a wine list if you don't have a basis for what it should cost? What it costs in the local liquor store is the best approximation of what the wholesale cost per bottle is. Honestly, the fact that you can't grasp this simple fact doesn't equate in my mind.

Actually, they probably get it cheaper..now factor getting it on board and thousands of miles into the ocean, all the while keeping it stored correctly. Why does wine cost more at local restaurants? 

I admitted the costs seems silly. Comparing the costs to your local store seems silly too, at least to me. 

Honestly, there is probably a lot more markup in my drink of choice, Hendricks Gin or a nice Bourbon.  If they start up charging that, I’ll find a substitute. 

4 minutes ago, Midsomer Madness said:

Thank you, that’s not too bad then, think I might need to change my reading glasses 😂

I wondered what you were looking at. 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Diav said:

$19 for a glass of J Lohr Riverstone chardonnay. You have to be kidding. This belongs on the classic package at $9/glass (maybe).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Actually, they probably get it cheaper..now factor getting it on board and thousands of miles into the ocean, all the while keeping it stored correctly. Why does wine cost more at local restaurants? 

You're making my point. We can't factor unless we have an idea of the base cost. That's where the local liquor store cost comes into play. You must understand that.

Everyone understands that there should be somewhat of a mark up in liquor stores, a larger one in restaurants and on cruise ships. Why does Celebrity's mark up need to be so much higher than every other cruise line? Why is it so much higher than just a month ago when the actual per bottle cost hasn't gone up anywhere else?

Lastly, since you brought it up, cruise ships by nature can't possibly store wine correctly. Too much constant rocking and rolling. Personally, I would never buy a fine wine on a cruise ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Everyone understands that there should be somewhat of a mark up in liquor stores, a larger one in restaurants and on cruise ships. Why does Celebrity's mark up need to be so much higher than every other cruise line? Why is it so much higher than just a month ago when the actual per bottle cost hasn't gone up anywhere else?

I understand all of it...they are getting marching orders from somewhere, and that somewhere seems to be out of touch.  I understand the frustration that big time wine drinkers are facing.  I wouldn't be happy if it was my favorite liquors being subjected to these silly uncharges.  

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

It's not really the comparative costs it's the fact that you are paying $10k or so for a suite and they won't comp you a glass of Decoy cab.

I have sailed suites twice on Celebrity and have never been charged extra or asked for my sea pass when being poured a glass of wine in the Luminae.   I generally don't even order anything specific but have asked the wine steward to bring me something appropriate.  Always seemed so  ...   luxurious!   We'll see in two weeks, if they ask for 2 bucks it will be so ... tacky

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

It's not really the comparative costs it's the fact that you are paying $10k or so for a suite and they won't comp you a glass of Decoy cab.

I have sailed suites twice on Celebrity and have never been charged extra or asked for my sea pass when being poured a glass of wine in the Luminae.   I generally don't even order anything specific but have asked the wine steward to bring me something appropriate.  Always seemed so  ...   luxurious!   We'll see in two weeks, if they ask for 2 bucks it will be so ... tacky

See my post #419....I agree...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Diav said:

Thanks so much @Diav  Below is the Costco pricing for Conundrum .  Looks like a 5 times markup at least if you consider the volume discounts X must get.  Actually closer to 6 times when you add 20% grats to the cost of each glass.  A six oz pour is $10.49 at Carabbas and the bottle goes for $41.  

We have never been charged an overage in the Retreat lounge.  I concur with @CruiseRQA that charging the extra $2 for a mediocre wine being masqueraded as “premium” in the Retreat is tacky.  When we booked our upcoming cruise over two years ago the Celebrity attitude in the Retreat was pretty much, you ask, and we deliver.  Service with a smile.  Now it appears that the “Retreat” is appropriately named.  Celebrity will “Retreat” from providing elevated levels of service whenever and wherever it chooses to do so.  Here today, gone tomorrow.

IMG_4425.jpeg

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 4

Ok, Lemmee throw this out there. When I purchased the PDP, I paid a 20% gratuity. While I think the upcharges are RIDICULOUS, I also think it is uncalled for to add an ADDITIONAL gratuity for the $2 more per glass wine. It is no extra effort, time, or cost for the server or sommelier or bartender to pour this wine in a glass than to pour me a glass of swill that is on my package. Silly Celebrity. SMH.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DingoMom said:

Ok, Lemmee throw this out there. When I purchased the PDP, I paid a 20% gratuity. While I think the upcharges are RIDICULOUS, I also think it is uncalled for to add an ADDITIONAL gratuity for the $2 more per glass wine. It is no extra effort, time, or cost for the server or sommelier or bartender to pour this wine in a glass than to pour me a glass of swill that is on my package. Silly Celebrity. SMH.

Its 20% based on the cost of the drink. I also had the PBP and ordered a drink that was a buck over and was charged an extra 20 cents so presented with a bill for $1.20.  I've also gone to GR to complain for various reasons and drinks were removed from my account; this is when I have not had a package so guess it all works out in the wash.  I do understand the reasoning behind this.