Looking for hotel suggestions in Lisbon on 3-21-24

tyler6597

We will be on the azamara pursuit departing from Lisbon and we're going there a day early so we're looking for some hotel suggestions. We would like to be close to the port. I know Lisbon has a lot of hills and then the terrain flattens out toward the ocean. We would like to stay in this flat area because my wife has mobility problems. Thanks.

Tyler

I also recommend the Hotel Avenida Palace.  It is not near the port, nor in the flat area along the river (2.4km, steeply downhill).  But it is near the top of the main sightseeing hill, right at a subway stop – which makes it a great place for mobility-challenged sightseeing.  You can take that subway down to the river, and back up to the hotel.  For everything else, you can use Uber and request an XL vehicle for easier ingress/egress.

• Like 1

We just stayed at Avenida Palace Hotel in Nov.  We loved it also.  It does have quire an area around it that is flat and walkable.  quite a few shops and restaurants around it.  they also offer nightly entertainment which we enjoyed.

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, tyler6597 said:

We will be on the azamara pursuit departing from Lisbon and we're going there a day early so we're looking for some hotel suggestions. We would like to be close to the port. I know Lisbon has a lot of hills and then the terrain flattens out toward the ocean. We would like to stay in this flat area because my wife has mobility problems. Thanks.

Tyler

I can recommend the Hotel Corpo Santo. Very convenient and near a bus stop that takes you to the port gates. 

We stayed at the Pousada de Lisboa which is situated on the square overlooking the river and very flat all around for walking. Lots of resturants nearby. You can walk to the cruise port which is a 10 minute walk and is also flat and can see the ships when you round the first corner.

• Like 1

Azamara uses 2 ports in Lisbon.  The main port near central Lisbon and one about a half an hour by car down river.  We spent a week in Lisbon in 2022 and multiple AZ ships docked in central Lisbon during our stay (we walked the area daily).  On our cruise that stopped in Lisbon this last fall we docked further afield. Another AZ ship was docking in town.  I share this info to encourage you to select a hotel that will provide the amenities you need during your stay as you may find yourself a distance from the ship.  Uber is inexpensive and readily available.  While Lisbon has hills, there is plenty to see along the flat lands along the river.  You will love it.

• Like 2

My wife and I stayed at AlmaLusa Hotel (https://www.almalusahotels.com/baixachiado/) for 5 nights at the end of a transatlantic crossing in April 2022. Very well located - and flat surfaces all around. We could walk to the cruise terminal, the nearby square Prada do Comercio, and then uphill to explore further. The restaurant has some fabulous Portuguese dishes. I want to start or end a cruise in Lisbon again just so we can stay (and eat) here again. 

If you are looking to stay right in the heart of the tourist area on the Rua Augusta, then two nice but fairly reasonably priced options are the Be Poet Baixa Hotel (small rooms, nice bathrooms, very friendly staff) or the Brown's Central Hotel (maybe a bit more refined but still priced reasonable)...highly suggest using uber to get to the actual port as it was much cheaper than taxis or arranged transit. 

We stayed at the Avenida Palace last year. The location was great. We thought the hotel was rather run down. There are some very good restaurants within easy walking distance and unlike most of the sidewalks in Lisbon the streets were paved not beautifully covered in Portugese tile shards. 

Last year's visit was not our first.

You will wish you could stay longer it's such a wonderful city.

I stayed at Figueira The Beautique which was lovely and minutes from St. George Castle, The trams passed right in front of the hotel, and the Square across the street was close to the Subway and where all the tour buses leave from.   I highly recommend this hotel

• Like 1

Lisbon is pretty compact and Uber works quite well and is inexpensive.   The port is not too far from the tourist stuff but personally with only one night I would pick a more central location so you can quickly see the highlights.  I stayed off Avenida liberdade which I would recommend only if staying for a few days.  Find a place near barrio alto.  Enjoy the neighborhood and then take an Uber to the port. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can recommend the Aurea Museum hotel, very close to the port (we walked with our luggage from the hotel to the ship).

https://www.eurostarshotels.com/aurea-museum.html?

They can arrange for transport from the airport (extra fee).  Close to Fada bars and good restaurants.  An excellent European buffet breakfast is included.  They even have a museum showing the Roman ruins it was built on.

Almost next door to the Taylor Fladgate Port tasting rooms and shop as well.

Might not be the cheapest hotel in the area, but we found it very comfortable and quiet.

Another hotel, even closer, is the Palacete Chafariz d'El Rei.  Also looks good, and I believe a similar price point.

The closest one we saw (but did not investigate) is at the station, and is opposite the cruise terminal - The Editory Riverside Santa Apolónia Hotel.  We didn't see this until we boarded the ship, so did not research it prior to our visit.

Edited by ivanidea

2 hours ago, Richard&JohnSTX said:

We second the Aurea Museum Hotel - had a nice stay there last year before our transatlantic.

THIRD....We have been in Aurea Museum Hotel twice and love it.   Great location near the port, near good restaurants, ... and the premier chocolate shop, a necessary stop in any port!