Final Payment for Transatlantic Situation

runner2013

One of those coming in late to the game.  

Buddy has a booking number

Buddy can see his cruise on Princess.com

Buddy says he owes nothing (and final payment made)

Buddy has booked and confirmed EZ Air (has it been ticketed?)

Buddy has hotel reservations pre/post cruise (has this been confirmed with hotels?)

BUT...Buddy is still being charged extras

Buddy has two more cruises "booked" but not seen on Princess.com

This is definitely a new issue.  Never heard of anything like this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

One of those coming in late to the game.  

Buddy has a booking number

Buddy can see his cruise on Princess.com

Buddy says he owes nothing (and final payment made)

Buddy has booked and confirmed EZ Air (has it been ticketed?)

Buddy has hotel reservations pre/post cruise (has this been confirmed with hotels?)

BUT...Buddy is still being charged extras

Buddy has two more cruises "booked" but not seen on Princess.com

This is definitely a new issue.  Never heard of anything like this.

I know right!!! 

He has the booking #, and does see the cruise in the personalizer. 

According to Princess personalizer he's paid in full, but according to buddy's own math, he hasn't paid the full price yet. 

The Buddy is getting his own flights to Rome, he's isn't using ez air like he first thought he was. 

Far as I know, he hasn't confirmed with the hotels yet. Or maybe he has but just didn't tell me. Not sure. 

• Thanks 2

On 12/22/2023 at 6:18 AM, runner2013 said:

1, His buddy booked a gauranteed cabin. He told the TA he wants to be on deck 9 and the TA said " no problem you're all set"

2. His buddy is having payments taken out every week? or every month?   I'm assuming by the Travel Agency as opposed to Princess directly since he didn' t book with Princess. With the amount he quoted my DH that is being taken out, if it's every month there's no way it will be enough to pay for everything. before final payment date. 

3, DH was talking to his buddy yesterday and he tells him the TA said he doesn't need to have the trip paid in full until 2 DAYS before the cruise leaves. I have never heard of that. It's always been 90 to 120 days out depending on length of trip. 

Where did he find this TA?

3 hours ago, runner2013 said:

I know right!!! 

He has the booking #, and does see the cruise in the personalizer. 

According to Princess personalizer he's paid in full, but according to buddy's own math, he hasn't paid the full price yet. 

The Buddy is getting his own flights to Rome, he's isn't using ez air like he first thought he was. 

Far as I know, he hasn't confirmed with the hotels yet. Or maybe he has but just didn't tell me. Not sure. 

He would be too late for

insurance if he’s past FP.  Unless, there is a policy he could buy now?

He should have a phone number to call for the person who booked it.  He needs to get the information on the hotels booked, confirmation numbers, call the Florida one and email the Rome hotel and verify he is booked and paid for.

Never heard of them charging $500 for a future cruise.  He needs to look at the fine print.

What did the agent book?  Where’s the receipt on the website for this charge?  Is this non refundable?  Is it shown in his account as a FCC?

I would print out the travel summary and check it closely for any mistakes.

What a mistake, that PCL allows this agency to pull these shady tactics.  SMH 

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

He would be too late for

insurance if he’s past FP.  Unless, there is a policy he could buy now?

He should have a phone number to call for the person who booked it.  He needs to get the information on the hotels booked, confirmation numbers, call the Florida one and email the Rome hotel and verify he is booked and paid for.

Never heard of them charging $500 for a future cruise.  He needs to look at the fine print.

What did the agent book?  Where’s the receipt on the website for this charge?  Is this non refundable?  Is it shown in his account as a FCC?

I would print out the travel summary and check it closely for any mistakes.

What a mistake, that PCL allows this agency to pull these shady tactics.  SMH 

I think he can still get insurance through one of those websites that lets you compare different plans. Maybe not the medical waiver portion but at least something to cover luggage loss or trip delay, etc. 

Supposedly the hotels are all booked/confirmed and paid for. No idea if he actually did the confirmation himself or is going on what his contact at princess promotions is telling him. 

I've never heard of a charge for a future cruise either, that's why my red flags went up and I'm here asking for opinions. All you folks who've cruised longer than me have a much better knowledge of how things work. 

As far as him having all receipts, emails, verification, etc. I have no idea what he has or doesn't have.   

I did stress to him make sure he brings paper copies of all his documents when he goes. What he'll do, I couldn't even guess. 

18 hours ago, runner2013 said:

If I'm reading the facts correctly the cruise leaves in about 5 weeks, and he doesn't have flights booked yet for an international trip?  Maybe I'm misinterpreting 🙂  

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

If I'm reading the facts correctly the cruise leaves in about 5 weeks, and he doesn't have flights booked yet for an international trip?  Maybe I'm misinterpreting 🙂  

Oh no, you are totally correct.🙄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have been following this very closely..."eagerly" awaiting your updates! 😄

One thing crossed my mind as far as the whole "only 65% payment needed" bit.  Perhaps Princess Promotions is doing some VERY creative accounting here.  Maybe 65% of what Princess Promotions is charging is *really* 100% of the actual cruise fare...and any/all of these "extra" charges that are now appearing go towards covering the hotels...though I highly doubt that he's *really* going to get his choice of *any* hotel *anywhere* in the world!  This potentially could explain how Princess shows that the cruise is paid off.  And your friend will get these "free" hotel nights....AFTER he coughs up another couple of grand.  It's kind of like saying you'll be getting "free drinks"...after you purchase Plus or Premier.

• Like 5

On 2/5/2024 at 5:50 PM, runner2013 said:

Princess rep said he only had to pay 65% before sailing and pays the rest in installments. (he's doing $500. monthly)

Here’s that $500 a month you mentioned in an earlier post.

22 hours ago, runner2013 said:

Now.... last week his credit card is charged another $500.00, for what he doesn't know so he calls the rep at Princess Promotions

According to your same post, he IS supposed to pay $500 a month.

Is it possible the ONE agent did pay in full to PCL already and your friend still has to pay off the cruise to the ONE TA?  

This is such a goofy way to handle the accounting.

If it were my friend, I’d invite them over to go through all of this with their T & C, that they agreed to, documents in hand and travel summary.

That is, if they wanted my help.

JMO

20 hours ago, runner2013 said:

The travel agent found him. He was cold called by someone from Princess Promotions. 

Oh my good luck. I won’t touch them with a ten foot pole. They need to get some confirmation especially for the plane and hotels

On 2/22/2024 at 6:29 PM, runner2013 said:

I stopped him again and asked him what I think is the next important question: 

DOES HE HAVE TRAVEL INSURANCE?

He said no, and I told him in no uncertain terms they needed to get real travel cruise insurance immediately!!

He referred to the cruise line's insurance and my DH and I both said absolutely not!!!

He needs to get and independent travel insurance company to cover this because we both feel something isn't right and it just doesn't make sense. 

It is crucial to have top quality cruise insurance covering every conceivable problem.  Obtaining it from "Princess" through your booking is very risky because in the worst case scenario if the cruise does not exist due to a scam booking through the same people will not provide genuine cover.  If it proves to be a bona fide booking and cruise an independent  insurance policy will be fine anyway.

Regards John

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, john watson said:

It is crucial to have top quality cruise insurance covering every conceivable problem.  Obtaining it from "Princess" through your booking is very risky because in the worst case scenario if the cruise does not exist due to a scam booking through the same people will not provide genuine cover.  If it proves to be a bona fide booking and cruise an independent  insurance policy will be fine anyway.

Regards John

Would any insurance cover them, if it was a scam?

They could go through their CC, if it did turn out to be a scam. Maybe to dispute charges?

Lets hope it doesn’t come to that.

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Here’s that $500 a month you mentioned in an earlier post.

According to your same post, he IS supposed to pay $500 a month.

Is it possible the ONE agent did pay in full to PCL already and your friend still has to pay off the cruise to the ONE TA?  

This is such a goofy way to handle the accounting.

If it were my friend, I’d invite them over to go through all of this with their T & C, that they agreed to, documents in hand and travel summary.

That is, if they wanted my help.

JMO

I've never heard of any travel agency that pays for your cruise in full ahead of time and then bills you for the money. Maybe I'm wrong, but as far as I know, none of them do that. (if anyone has heard of this please correct me.)

My Hubby tried to ask his friend questions way back when this all started and the friend didn't really want any advice or input, so we've both stayed out of it until now. 

We've said our peace and will just stay out of whatever happens. If we're asked, we'll offer an opinion but otherwise, it's not our business. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Would any insurance cover them, if it was a scam?

They could go through their CC, if it did turn out to be a scam. Maybe to dispute charges?

Lets hope it doesn’t come to that.

Good question.

13 minutes ago, runner2013 said:

I've never heard of any travel agency that pays for your cruise in full ahead of time and then bills you for the money. Maybe I'm wrong, but as far as I know, none of them do that. (if anyone has heard of this please correct me.)

My Hubby tried to ask his friend questions way back when this all started and the friend didn't really want any advice or input, so we've both stayed out of it until now. 

We've said our peace and will just stay out of whatever happens. If we're asked, we'll offer an opinion but otherwise, it's not our business. 

I haven’t either, but this is not

a normal TA, IMO.  They sell Cruises with hotels, FCC’s etc.

Asking for the money all up

front.  That’s why it surprised me, that 65% and $500 a month.  Strange.

Did you look at other threads on these Princess promos to see if anyone else has had the same experience?

Here’s one of the threads, when they first started calling people and we thought it was a scam.

Another thread, a month later.  One poster has a long response about ONE and hotels included, etc.

There are many other threads, if you search.  You might be able to ask questions of someone who has booked through them.

Princess Promotions can be purchased in installments.  I'm only repeating what I heard one of the Future Cruise Consultants said to a potential taker last cruise, so don't quote me...The packages can put but on a monthly installment plan.  A minimum of 25% down and monthly payments after.  After you reach 50% of the total due, you can use the FCC part towards a cruise and the rest of the "benefits" will follow upon full payment.

The thought going through my head, "Yikes!  Why are they this desperate?"

10 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Princess Promotions can be purchased in installments.  I'm only repeating what I heard one of the Future Cruise Consultants said to a potential taker last cruise, so don't quote me...The packages can put but on a monthly installment plan.  A minimum of 25% down and monthly payments after.  After you reach 50% of the total due, you can use the FCC part towards a cruise and the rest of the "benefits" will follow upon full payment.

Because they are a third party trying to book as many things as possible   Probably to renew a contract with Princess

14 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

If PP paids off the cruise for DH's friend. Would they then expect payment to be finished by the time the cruise comes or would they allow him to finish paying off after the cruise ends? 

Ok, 

So hubby just told me his buddy did get just his flights to Italy through Princess Ez air.  That's not what his buddy told me the other night on the phone but maybe I misunderstood him. ??

All this confusion is making my head spin. I can't imagine how his buddy is feeling

Thanks everyone for your help. 

I'll be sure to keep you updated.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, runner2013 said:

If PP paids off the cruise for DH's friend. Would they then expect payment to be finished by the time the cruise comes or would they allow him to finish paying off after the cruise ends? 

Don't quote me.  Like I said I'm only repeating what I can remember overhearing from a FC Consultant explaining to someone else...

Once you reach 50% payment of the package, the FCC portion of the package becomes available for use and can be applied to new cruise bookings.  Everything else goes live once full payment on the package is complete.

So if Buddy paid 50% of the package, yes, theoretically he could have used the FCC to book a cruise, and still be making payments on the package.  This is assuming I overheard the details correctly.

Why so much confusion?  Would simply find out if cruise is booked thru cruiseline or TA.  Then get the booking number.  With that you can call and verify everything.

PS, there are companies that will finance a cruise so that is possible.

No booking number - I would walk away.

• Like 1

HI all, 

Quick update. 

DH spoke to his buddy the other night and he actually said he feels he bit off more than he can chew.  Says he should have stuck with a much shorter, easier to handle trip. 

DH asked him about the app and checking in, and dinner reservations etc.  

Guess the buddy has the app downloaded but hasn't done his check in yet. Buddy also told his sister who's going she was in charge of making all the dinner reservations for them. She wants no part of it. Hubby stressed buddy may want to get on the dinner situation sooner rather than later. 

I hear anything else I'll keep you all informed. 

When all is said and done, I'm still hoping for a good outcome.  🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1