Final Payment for Transatlantic Situation

runner2013

@runner2013  Thank you so much for returning to your thread frequently.  I am intrigued by this subject.  I am hoping for the best possible outcome.  I forgot...has "friend" ever cruised before?  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@runner2013  Thank you so much for returning to your thread frequently.  I am intrigued by this subject.  I am hoping for the best possible outcome.  I forgot...has "friend" ever cruised before?  

Only once, when DH and I got married 2 years ago this May. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, runner2013 said:

HI all, 

Quick update. 

DH spoke to his buddy the other night and he actually said he feels he bit off more than he can chew.  Says he should have stuck with a much shorter, easier to handle trip. 

DH asked him about the app and checking in, and dinner reservations etc.  

Guess the buddy has the app downloaded but hasn't done his check in yet. Buddy also told his sister who's going she was in charge of making all the dinner reservations for them. She wants no part of it. Hubby stressed buddy may want to get on the dinner situation sooner rather than later. 

I hear anything else I'll keep you all informed. 

When all is said and done, I'm still hoping for a good outcome.  🤞

Is buddy's significant other going with him? Usually with a couple one person is the all in planner, with the other just showing up. Have you spoken with the significant other?

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Is buddy's significant other going with him? Usually with a couple one person is the all in planner, with the other just showing up. Have you spoken with the significant other?

Yes, his long-time gf is going but don't know how involved she is with things.  

DH and I are staying out of things as much as possible at this point. DH tried offering suggestions at the beginning and the buddy wasn't interested.  We're hoping for the best. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Just thought i'd pop back in with a quick update. 

Hubby's buddy asked us for help booking travel insurance for the trip. We thought they already had it through Princess, but his buddy said they felt it was too expensive and wanted to look elsewhere. His significant other has a very sick sister and they're looking for a policy that will cover them in case the worst happens, and they need to leave the ship and fly home. 

I took him to the sites I usually use but they too, did seem expensive. I advised him to call the company directly and speak with an agent. I felt that would be the best way for them to possibly get the best rate for the option they need. 

They also have their flights through Princess after all. Originally, he said they did, then he said they didn't, now they do. 

No idea what to make of this but again we're staying out of it.

We also don't know if the buddy has gotten his cabin assignment yet, or if the travel agents/company he's been using this entire time is still taking money out each month to pay for the mysterious future cruise he agreed to when he originally booked. 

Again, we don't feel there's anything we could do at this point anyway, so we'll let sleeping dogs lie. 

They are all supposed to leave this Saturday. They join the ship April 1st in Italy.  We're hopeful but nervous. Once I hear anything I'll report back. 

• Thanks 4

On 2/23/2024 at 2:13 PM, SCX22 said:

Princess Promotions can be purchased in installments.  I'm only repeating what I heard one of the Future Cruise Consultants said to a potential taker last cruise, so don't quote me...The packages can put but on a monthly installment plan.  A minimum of 25% down and monthly payments after.  After you reach 50% of the total due, you can use the FCC part towards a cruise and the rest of the "benefits" will follow upon full payment.

The thought going through my head, "Yikes!  Why are they this desperate?"

On 2/29/2024 at 5:37 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Why so much confusion?  Would simply find out if cruise is booked thru cruiseline or TA.  Then get the booking number.  With that you can call and verify everything.

PS, there are companies that will finance a cruise so that is possible.

No booking number - I would walk away.

So it's like a loan  .... maybe check your FICO to see if it shows up??

On 2/23/2024 at 12:27 PM, runner2013 said:

I've never heard of any travel agency that pays for your cruise in full ahead of time and then bills you for the money. Maybe I'm wrong, but as far as I know, none of them do that. (if anyone has heard of this please correct me.)

My Hubby tried to ask his friend questions way back when this all started and the friend didn't really want any advice or input, so we've both stayed out of it until now. 

We've said our peace and will just stay out of whatever happens. If we're asked, we'll offer an opinion but otherwise, it's not our business. 

Travel agents get free cruises.   Princess will run a promotion telling an agent or agency that if, for example, they book $50,000 per year, the agent or agency will receive a free cruise on select sailings.   Agents can also be given free cruises to fill up a half-full ship and promote the line.   I have read cruise reviews where the poster said the ship was "full of travel agents".    Agents also get free cabins when they book a large organized group.  

The cruise line would like the free cruises to be used by the agents to familiarize themselves with the line and be a better agent for that line.  But some agents sell the free cruises to their clients for money.  If the cruise is free to the agent, then the client would pay the agency and the agent would not pay Princess at all, but book the available freebie.   On a free cruise it would not be unusual if the cabin wasn't assigned until you check in at the port.  

Thank you for coming back with updates.  I am so sad to see that every time you chime in, there is a new "problem".  I sure hope your friend gets the advice he needs from a reputable agency.

You have done your best as a friend and are wise to stay out of it.  I don't know how solid your friendship is, but it is surely being tested.

My understanding is that independent insurance needs to be bought at time of booking.  I have also heard that it needs to be bought 100 days before sailing.  I know that my insurance with Princess is tied into Final Payment.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My understanding is that independent insurance needs to be bought at time of booking.  I have also heard that it needs to be bought 100 days before sailing.  I know that my insurance with Princess is tied into Final Payment.  

I wondered the same thing!  I'm no insurance expert but wasn't aware they could purchase insurance for a cruise leaving next week.  But I figured at this stage that may be the least of the problems with this trip.....  🙂 

• Like 1

I want to say there are a few policies you can buy close to the sailing date, but the options included in them are not the best.  

If/when I hear anything else I'll be sure to come back here and let you all know. 

Thanks for your input and advice. As always much appreciated. 

• Like 3

HI all, 

Well, 

It's go time for dh's buddy. They all leave this afternoon for Italy.  They received their cabin assignments, are all checked in on the app, and I believe made all their dinner reservations as well. 

Not sure if the buddy ended up getting travel insurance or not, didn't want to ask and seem like I was beating a dead horse.

They arrive on Sunday, (flying from United States) and don't board until Tuesday the 2nd. Supposedly they have tours booked for the Vatican and one other place. They also have transportation arranged from the hotel to the pier on embarkation day which makes me feel better. My final piece of advice was to bring copies of everything, just to have. You never know what you might need. 

The buddy did also say Princess Promotions paid for the entire cruise upfront and will be taking payments from his credit card until sometime next year.  So, I guess that situation was straightened out as well. 

Anyway, that's all I've got. 

If the buddy happens to contact DH while sailing i'll be sure to let you all know. 

To anyone else who may be hopping on this sailing, safe travels and have a great time😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for posting (hopefully) the resolution to this saga.  I hope they have an uneventful, wonderful cruise.  I have not posted to this thread prior but I have been following along.  As an elite Princess cruises I, like you would have been very suspicious of what this friend had gotten himself into.  So glad it appears to have worked out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

I'm happy to report DH's buddy made it onto the ship and is having a great time. He did some sightseeing in Italy the day before embarkation and is enjoying his time on board. 

He still plans to talk to the Next Cruise people regarding his 'future cruise' situation he was told he signed up for by Princess Promotions, (whether or not they can help him, he doesn't know)  but otherwise he says he is satisfied.

If I heard more i'll report back. 

P.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the update. Glad it worked out for him!

I recently thought of this thread when my husband told me his coworker is going on a trip to Greece 'soon' and had been on a Zoom call the night before with the Captain of the cruise ship who was explaining where there are going. 😆 I told him not to get involved!

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again all. 

Just thought I'd let you know DH's friend returned to Ft.Lauderdale yesterday safe and sound. He said they all had a great time and would do it again in the future.( Although I think he'd use a more 'traditional' method to book the cruise vs. Princess Promotions). 

Turns out P.P. paid for the entire trip up front and the buddy is making payments from his credit card until next April. So the confusion as to what the charges were are finally explained. 

Anyway, all's well that ends well I guess. 

Happy Sailing to the rest of us😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if I was dreaming this, but somewhere....I read...that Princess does have an installment plan.

Sometimes I have a hard time separating what I read on the computer and "reality".  

Of course, I didn't take a screen shot nor would I ever do this.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I don't know if I was dreaming this, but somewhere....I read...that Princess does have an installment plan.

Sometimes I have a hard time separating what I read on the computer and "reality".  

Feels like the Twilight Zone 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Way back when the buddy was trying to figure out why his charge card was being charged after the final payment date, he called Princess directly to inquire and they had no idea what he was talking about. Come to find out, Princess Promotions paid for the trip up front and is still billing him now. So maybe Princess doesn't offer the pay up front option,   and it's just the Princess Promotions department, which isn't actually part of Princess that does it? 

If anyone knows for sure, please let me know. Who knows, maybe it might be something worth considering? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Princess EZPay Installment Plan

https://www.princess.com/en-us/plan/ezpay-cruise-payment-plan

I've never used it but have seen it discussed here on CC.  I just Googled 'Princess cruise Installment plan' and it was the first result.

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Princess EZPay Installment Plan

https://www.princess.com/en-us/plan/ezpay-cruise-payment-plan

I've never used it but have seen it discussed here on CC.  I just Googled 'Princess cruise Installment plan' and it was the first result.

Thanks for letting me know that I live in a reality world.

If you are self disciplined, you could also set up your own installment plan.  You either pay the piper along the way or at the end.  Just recently, I made a partial payment on a large balance.  I planned it incorrectly.  I should have made one payment, skip a month, and then make the final payment.  I ran the risk of going over my limit by doing 2 consecutive charges.  

All of my credit card charges are paid in full each month.  Now they have "flex" plans.  No thank you.

To @runner2013...thank you for the updates.  I'm glad it worked out for your friend.  We hear so little about Princess Promotions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

way too much drama all around for my taste.....travel can be stressful even when all is perfectly clear and in order.....seems a lot of extra stress to finance a cruise...guess i am old fashioned that i simply would not book a cruise if i had to finance it.

On 3/1/2024 at 4:38 PM, runner2013 said:

Yes, his long-time gf is going but don't know how involved she is with things.  

DH and I are staying out of things as much as possible at this point. DH tried offering suggestions at the beginning and the buddy wasn't interested.  We're hoping for the best. 

This would keep me up at night!! LOL!  
When our family 0f 7 in 4 cabins sailed to Alaska, one of the members of our party had never cruised before...so I tried to help him with various things.  But I found the best way was first to have his Princess sign in and password so I could check in as him and monitor what needed to be done.  The other was, we all got together to plan flights, pre-cruise hotel, excursions (who wanted to do what with whom), Specialty dining: so we could all dine together and of course to choose dining room and times for dinner.  Worked out well for all and had we not done that, I would have shown up for the cruise with "raccoon eyes" from lack of sleep!

• Like 1