Motion detector lights

PE Cruisers

Last summer on Caribbean P they were functioning as usual and  annoying us.....until I duct taped them! At the end of cruise I very easily peeled it off with no damage. I tried a couple band aids with limited results, probably operator error! 

Never leave home without a small roll of duct tape! have a great cruise!

• Like 2

We just got off the Enchanted on 8 December and if I could have taken a baseball bat to that damn thing I would have!  So, to answer your question, at least on the Enchanted no they have not done anything about them and I think the likelihood of them doing anything is probably slim to none.  I wouldn't even mind having it if there was just some way to either turn it off (without having to resort to being MacGyver) or dim the bulb so it wasn't so bloody bright in the middle of the night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You’ll all be glad to know they aren’t an issue on the Discovery any longer .. if they ever had them.  
We rake a mushroom bowl (one other plastic bowls that mushrooms come in from the grocery store) and it fits right over the top and just take it down when we get up.  That way, the light is still usable during the day.  I originally brought them to keep all of my night stand items in place .. but they really serve to cover that light perfectly without any use of tape or bandaids.  We put a motion light for inside the bathroom for mid night trips.  It’s a very soft light about the size of a hockey puck and is just perfect so as not to wake one up with the full light.  

Oh and not meaning to hijack this thread but if your safe’s door is not one that easily opens, I use a J-hook magnet as a knob to pull it open.  
ohhhhh .. the things we’ve learned over the last few years.  We pack light and these items are dual purpose do not really take up any extra room in our luggage.   

• Thanks 2

I actually like the lights.  I have not had curtains in my house for over 30 years.  I like the light.  Being in an unfamiliar place, I really like the lights.  I am glad those of you who do not like them have found a solution.  They do not wake me and do not bother me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On our first Princess cruise we asked our room steward if he could turn off the motion sensor. He wet some toilet paper and made a little cover for the sensor with it, worked like a charm. Ever since then we just do that ourselves.

• Like 4

We had it on the Crown.  I just placed blue painters tape over the sensor and it worked perfectly.  There were also motion lights under the nightstands.  I placed one the decorative bed pillows in front of it at night so no problem.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

If you tape off the sensor in the hallway light how do you turn the light on when you want to see?

Other lighting in the area provided more than ample light to see what we needed to get out of the closet or safe.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

If you tape off the sensor in the hallway light how do you turn the light on when you want to see?

13 hours ago, Tonye60 said:

Switch it off, and back on, stays on the for about a minute

I also just reach up and give the painters tape cover a tap or a twist so that the light comes back on.  While sorting out my evening wear in the closet or finding something in the safe, the light always seems to turn off at an inopportune time.

Too bad we can't be trusted to turn it on and off ourselves without a workaround hack.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PE Cruisers said:

Has Princess done anything about the motion light in dressing area since last spring ? Leaving on CB this Wednesday 12/27 and wondering if I need to bring tape to cover motion detector. Dam thing woke me up numerous times on the Emerald in March.

I saw a clever idea that I might try so it’s not dark there when I’m up. Someone put two magnetic hooks on the ceiling on either side of the light and hooked a mask in front of the sensor at night

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

On the Ruby now...that light only comes on when I walk into the closet area and goes off after I leave and nothings moving under it. Seems ok with me. If I blocked the sensor, it would be awfully dark there.

So you don't mind the bright light going on when you get up in the middle of the night?

• Haha 1

I can't thank those who posted about this terrible lighting situation prior to me boarding.  I made sure to buy and bring blue painters tape and my husband covered the light in the hallway.  I would have been pissed with it going off every time one of us got up every night.  We used the pillows from the sofa in front of the side tables. (though mine didn't work so I didn't have to bother.)

• Like 2

I second the use of electrical tape.  I keep a roll with all the other items that are only used on a cruise.  Always let the cabin steward know we taped it so they don't remove it when they see it.  Just another annoying thing that has to be done on the first day of the cruise.