Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

6 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

+1

I’ve refrained from off-topicking Selbourne’s thread, but I feel it’s time to offer my sympathy and hope you get completely  better very soon, Megabear 

Same from me Megabear.

• Thanks 1

Same from me; a number of my friends have had this and it seems miserable. I always take high dose vitamin D3 all winter, especially before a cruise. It seems to work. Honestly I'd go to the medical centre if it doesn't get better soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

+1

I’ve refrained from off-topicking Selbourne’s thread, but I feel it’s time to offer my sympathy and hope you get completely  better very soon, Megabear 

I'll second that.

Get well soon MB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you again selbourne for your updates even though you’re under the weather with your sore throat I really hope it starts to get better soon and mrs S doesn’t get it .

When we were on Aurora beginning of December we always found around the glasshouse and that pub bit was always chilly, theatre was ok a bit off and on but I always have my fan everywhere I go on the ship because my motor runs hot 🤯 we had a inside room and always found it got warmer in the afternoon for a few hours then cool at night , we always have the temperature just below half way , I hope they get the crows nest sorted out for you because it’s a lovely place to sit apart from all the book readers that occupied all the seats at the front and fell asleep for hours we couldn’t get seats to have a drink 😴

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

Megabear2 I’m sorry to hear you have been really poorly while you were away and had to wait until you improved a little to fly home , hope you now get much better soon , there is so much chest infections and pneumonia around this year that’s lasting a long time, I hope you get better soon .

Yes get well soon. Sorry it's taken so long and ruined your recent cruise.

Our recent azamara cruise (and the one before we got on according to the captain) there was a tummy bug going round everyone despite loads of sanitiser protocols. Gave you the runs. 

We both got it and we took every opportunity we could do sanitise hands etc

One benefit the new ships have over this older ship was automatic doors everywhere including in the toilets (Arvia and Iona that is)

So on this ship everybody's touching the same door handles coming in and out of decks and toilets and restaurants all over the ship.

Surprised the doors haven't been updated tbh

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

Just now, Purdey16 said:

When we were on Aurora beginning of December we always found around the glasshouse and that pub bit was always chilly, theatre was ok a bit off and on

Same now. Glasshouse always nice and cool, as is the pub (not that we use the latter). The theatre is usually OK. Only been to Carmens a few times and that’s generally been alright, as is most of the Meridian restaurant. 

The lifts and stairwells are unbearable. When I went to pick my wife up from the show last night, someone in the lift mentioned that the Crows Nest had been fixed. I’ll check later, but @Mollag had heard that to do that they were going to divert AC from the forward stair well. Our cabin is just off that and I’m wondering if that might explain why our cabin is now not cooling as well as it did. 

• Like 2

Surprised to see on Cruisemapper that Aurora is docked at the old cruise terminal in Curacao. Did not think that P&O used that or even that it was still operational. On Aurora in 2015 we used the new terminal as we did on Azura before then.

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Time for a visit to the medical centre?  It’s what your insurance is for.  It must be worth taking the time to go, and paying whatever excess you have on your policy, to get your health sorted out to really enjoy the remainder of your trip.  Plus - you need to be fit to help Lady S get the best from the cruise

Lecture, or gentle prodding, over.  Enjoy Curaçao.  It’s so beautiful.  I hope everything goes well for you today

26 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

If you start coughing I would take the antibiotics straight away - if you have 5 days worth that’s probably enough.

My last sore throat (very bad like yours) stopped and then the cough started and I needed antibiotics.

Hope you improve.

Actually If it was me I would probably take them now - my wife would also disapprove - because the last 3 times sore throat was followed by chest infection.

I am wary of going near the medical centre due to their fondness for imposing cabin confinement, which I wouldn’t be prepared to do. We brought some Covid test kits with us and I tested when this took hold and I was negative.

I have, however, succumbed this morning (after another poor night - not helped by the poor air conditioning

and the cabin being too warm) and I’ve commenced the course of antibiotics that I bought with me. I was meant to take them before the cruise for a separate issue that has now almost gone (and I was holding back just in case that issue flared up again during the cruise).

I googled the antibiotics yesterday and they are also prescribed for bacterial throat and chest infections, so I am telling myself that I’ll take them as instructed to hopefully completely nail the first issue and if, by chance, I have a bacterial infection in my throat or chest (or it’s heading that way) then I might get a double benefit. Who knows, but I’m sick of this sore throat and want rid of it. 

• Like 17

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I am wary of going near the medical centre due to their fondness for imposing cabin confinement, which I wouldn’t be prepared to do. We brought some Covid test kits with us and I tested when this took hold and I was negative.

I have, however, succumbed this morning (after another poor night - not helped by the poor air conditioning

and the cabin being too warm) and I’ve commenced the course of antibiotics that I bought with me. I was meant to take them before the cruise for a separate issue that has now almost gone (and I was holding back just in case that issue flared up again during the cruise).

I googled the antibiotics yesterday and they are also prescribed for bacterial throat and chest infections, so I am telling myself that I’ll take them as instructed to hopefully completely nail the first issue and if, by chance, I have a bacterial infection in my throat or chest (or it’s heading that way) then I might get a double benefit. Who knows, but I’m sick of this sore throat and want rid of it. 

I keep my cabin hydrated, soak a hand towel in water squeeze until just dripping peg on wire coat hanger and hang from air con vent in the ceiling, get bath towel and scrunch it up, and lay under hanging towel to catch the drips. Works for me and a lot of other folk

• Like 5

Just now, Bill Y said:

Surprised to see on Cruisemapper that Aurora is docked at the old cruise terminal in Curacao. Did not think that P&O used that or even that it was still operational. On Aurora in 2015 we used the new terminal as we did on Azura before then.

Yes, I’m pleased to say that we have come through the swing bridge and are berthed in the town centre. We have been lucky with our berths this cruise - one big advantage of a small ship!

• Like 15

Just looked at today's menus and looks as if they are back to the same old same!

Out of interest has the cheese plate improved from the two scraps of cold cheese and a couple of biscuits?

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, I’m pleased to say that we have come through the swing bridge and are berthed in the town centre. We have been lucky with our berths this cruise - one big advantage of a small ship!

The one time we berthed here was on Arcadia in 2017. It is not much difference in walking to the other side. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer

Just now, Gettingwarmer said:

The one time we berthed here was on Arcadia in 2017. It is not much difference in walking to the other side. 

You’re right, there’s not a lot in it, but it’s nice to come through the swing bridge into the river that dissects the town centre. 

• Like 1

Just now, david63 said:

Out of interest has the cheese plate improved from the two scraps of cold cheese and a couple of biscuits?

Still dire I’m afraid. To make it worse, the digestives (which I don’t think are McVities) always taste stale 😂 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Still dire I’m afraid. To make it worse, the digestives (which I don’t think are McVities) always taste stale 😂 

Incase you haven’t spotted it, the cheese plate on a celebration night is actually a better offering, both in description and reality.  As far as I remember it doesn’t go as far as Mcvities though!

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Frequently it takes a few days for the tests to show positive, particularly with the more recent strains.  I hope it proves to be bacterial though, rather than viral, and that the antibiotics clear it up quickly.

Just now, crompton21 said:

Incase you haven’t spotted it, the cheese plate on a celebration night is actually a better offering, both in description and reality.  As far as I remember it doesn’t go as far as Mcvities though!

Yes it’s a bit better, but the cheese board to have is the one in the Glasshouse 😋

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tommart said:

Frequently it takes a few days for the tests to show positive, particularly with the more recent strains.  I hope it proves to be bacterial though, rather than viral, and that the antibiotics clear it up quickly.

Yes just had a friend test positive on day 4

1 hour ago, Tommart said:

Whatever the bugs or germs, take care and hoping for those antibiotics

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Yes it’s a bit better, but the cheese board to have is the one in the Glasshouse 😋

Yummy with a glass of Jam Shed Shiraz 😋

Thank you for an interesting and informative blog, really enjoying it.

Hope you feel better soon x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Keep the posts up @Selbourne this thread is becoming slightly addictive and I love your no nonsense approach to everything and telling it exactly how it is.

Since we were moored uptogether in Barbados we're home from Arvia. My wife caught ' the bug' four days in so that was 24th Jan. We quickly exhausted our usual worst case scenario supply of cold and flu tablets on board and were at the point of popping to the medical centre. Like you we were worried they'd confine us. She was bad and in hindsight we should have gone down but I'm pretty sure half the ship had it, some folk were in a bad way.

There was also a hint of gastro I heard coming from guests but I think that's been hushed up. 

My wife battled through and has tested negative for the usual but is sat here tonight with the worst cough ever so I think your choice of dipping into those antibiotics is a decent call ( Incidentally she never had a sore throat) 

All the best. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

IMG_1467.thumb.jpeg.99f866582be73d81637b9b56da802af7.jpegDay 35 - Tuesday 6th February - Willemstad, Curacao, Dutch Antilles

Yet again another poor nights sleep due to my sore throat and the air conditioning not working properly at night. I don’t feel ill, but my sore throat is painful when I swallow, especially late afternoon and all evening. In desperation I have now started taking the spare course of antibiotics that my GP gave me for something else, but I’d held back on using as that condition was easing. However, Dr Google informed me that the same antibiotics are also used for throat and chest infections, so nothing ventured….

After breakfast we collected our Britain Yesterday papers and then headed up to Deck 13 to assess the lay of the land. Before heading out on deck I popped in to the Crows Nest and Library to see if the air con had been fixed and it has. At last. However, from what @Mollag has found out, it might be a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul, and deck 11 (where we live) may be Peter 😥 

We had berthed right in the town centre, which means that we came through the Queen Emma floating swing bridge. We shall enjoy going back out through that later. We are berthed between the Queen Emma Pontoon Bridge and the Queen Juliana fixed bridge, which is the highest bridge in the Caribbean. 

We had already established a very favourable opinion of Willemstad before even leaving the ship, but this opinion only strengthened as we explored the town. What a beauty. It still has all the lovely colourful buildings that are common throughout the Caribbean, but they are all in immaculate condition. 

We first crossed the Queen Emma bridge and explored Punda, the older part of town. We walked along the waterfront past the stalls (no Venezuelan floating market any more - that appears to have been a casualty of Covid) and looked at the development area in Scharloo (over a smaller bridge) before spending some time in the market. We enjoyed this. It’s inside a large round  building and the market encircles the outer ring with two walkways. We did two laps and actually bought a gift to take back. I failed miserably with my bartering. I tried every trick in the book, including walking away, all to no avail. I eventually had to return later, tail between my legs, and pay top dollar. It was only $20 but there’s a principe at stake here 😂 I then remembered the port presenter saying about one place we were going that they won’t haggle and are offended by it. Maybe that was here 😳

We zig-zagged around the the shopping areas before heading back across the Queen Emma bridge. As we started walking across the alarm sounded and the bridge starting swinging open. People were rushing to the end to jump the ever growing gap, but this is not advisable when pushing a wheelchair. Although 🤔😂

As it was only a small boat passing through, they only opened it half way to let the boat through and then started closing it again. We enjoyed the experience which, for countless Health & Safety reasons would never be allowed at home. We then explored the Otrobanda side of town which is just as nice. Again, waterside traders leading up to Rif Fort which, although old, has been developed into shops, bars, restaurants and outdoor entertainment space. It’s all been done really well. We walked out the other side into the park which leads up to the modern cruise port. 

We both agreed that this had been a highlight port and, best of all, it was brilliant with a wheelchair as well. 

Back on the ship for a spot of lunch before I headed off again to go on the Seaworld Explorer Glass Bottom boat excursion. This entailed a mini bus taxi to a really idyllic beach hotel from where we boarded our boat. The captain was quite miserable and never smiled, but our host was great and made it fun. I was quite relieved that it was a short trip as we were swaying around a lot and much longer might have made me feel queasy. We saw lots of coral and plenty of fish, big and small, but not the array of colours I was expecting and, sadly, no turtles. I was still glad that I didn’t though as it was an experience. 

Back on the ship we went for an afternoon cuppa in Raffles prior to taking up positions on our balcony for the sail away. As we had parked facing inland we had to reverse all the way out of the town centre, through the opened pontoon bridge, swing around the side of Virgin’s Valiant Lady (which looks very smart) and then out to sea. We tend to stay on our balcony until it’s dark (and sometimes beyond) and it’s weird how the temperature doesn’t seem to drop at night in these parts. 

Dinner in the MDR was pretty good. The Serrano Ham & Poached Pear starter with Gorgonzola is always very nice. None of the mains grabbed me, so I took a gamble on the mixed grill and it was ok and something different to what I’d usually choose. We both had the cherry cheesecake with Armarena cherries, which I’m pleased to say had the proper cherries this time. 

At 10pm we went to the Headliners show ‘Applause’, which we have always found to be the best Headliner show and tonight was no exception. It’s back to back hits from well known musicals rather than the usual silly story lines and, best of all, a huge ‘Les Miserables’ section at the end. As this is my favourite musical there was some trepidation that they might murder a track or two but in fairness they didn’t. Quite a show and an excellent way to end a cracking day. Tomorrow Aruba. 

IMG_1468.jpeg

IMG_1470.jpeg

IMG_1474.jpeg

IMG_1475.jpeg

IMG_1477.jpeg

IMG_1479.jpeg

IMG_1480.jpeg

IMG_1481.jpeg

IMG_1482.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1486.jpeg

IMG_1487.jpeg

IMG_1489.jpeg

IMG_1492.jpeg

IMG_1507.jpeg

IMG_1512.jpeg

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 32

What a super report, and so good to read you had a lovely day.  I have been once to Curacao on a cruise, and remember it well as being so different from the rest of the islands.  And I have a feeling Aruba may be just as good - about time you both had some really enjoyable ports, and weather.

• Like 12