Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

IMG_1715.thumb.jpeg.837ea90f4f1e0289fb45a189b25220f7.jpegDay 41 - Monday 12th February - Panama Canal (Partial Transit)

After our day in Colon we were already within sight of our next days destination - the Panama Canal. Presumably to save on port fees had we remained at the cruise terminal overnight (or even waited in the large estuary where all the other ships waiting to transit the canal wait), we headed out to sea. This was a great shame, as it was as rough as hell. Movement was considerable and disturbed our sleep. Just to illustrate how rough it was, I have taken to closing our balcony door but not locking it. Bizarrely, the door handle rattles when it’s locked but doesn’t otherwise. The lunging around was so great at one stage that our heavy balcony door flew completely open and then immediately swung closed with an almighty crash. Needless to say I had to get out of bed and lock it. I’m amazed that nothing fell off any shelves!  

It obviously calmed down, as we managed to get rocked back to sleep and woke to calmer waters as we were back in Colon. We then slowly passed under the Atlantic bridge (widest span of any bridge in Central or South America) and, accompanied by tugs, started lining up for our approach to the Panama Canal. 

Although only a partial transit, this was a major factor in booking this cruise. A World cruise (which you have to do in order to do a full transit - we can’t fly so a ‘sector’ isn’t possible) doesn’t remotely appeal to either of us, so this was a bucket list activity. 

Having visited the new canal locks yesterday and seen a cruise ship go through them, I was really hoping that we would transit through the original Gatun locks with the assistance of the electric ‘mule’ locomotives and, thankfully, I wasn’t  disappointed. I know that there are many who are happy to cruise in inside cabins, but we were so so glad that we had our own balcony to watch everything. 

Because we had booked a late Saver and only one accessible balcony cabin was available, we couldn't choose which side to be on. However, we have been lucky almost all cruise to have been on the port side (as we’ve had better outlooks in ports) but today we struck gold. We passed through the locks on the right hand channel which meant that the ships traversing the locks in the opposite direction were facing us. This meant that we could clearly see how the whole operation worked by watching the locks operate, the ships rise or drop and the clever mules busily doing their thing. 

Prior to entering the first lock I dashed up on to deck 13 and 14 to get some shots of us passing under the Atlantic bridge, passing the original (but aborted) French attempt at a Panama Canal, and forward facing photos of the locks ahead of us. The total rise is only 85 feet, but when you see a ship ahead of you in the highest lock it seems several times that! 

Once I’d done that we could see everything in comfort from our balcony. I’m pleased to say that it was every bit as interesting and thrilling as I had anticipated and will no doubt be the thing that I will remember most about this cruise (well, hopefully 😂 🤞). 

It’s such a clever operation and it’s amazing that it’s over 100 years old, as we were reminded with the ‘Gatun 1913’ inscription on the central building. There has been a comparative drought in Panama over the winter and water levels in Gatun Lake are still 5 feet below normal (hence all the exposed tree stumps that are usually submerged). In order to conserve water, in addition to water passing downwards between chambers, water is now diverted to the opposite direction chamber, so one ship falling helps the one opposite to rise. This makes the operation a little longer than usual. 

Two massive tankers passed us heading ‘down’ the locks (Makra and Vega Sea) as we were heading ‘up’. Apparently there was 2 ft clearance either side of us, but looking down from our balcony it looked more like 2 inches! There was quite a big bump and judder at one stage, but hopefully no damage was done!

We anticipated up to 90 minutes in Gatan Lake before our transit back down, but the Pilot said that we had to join the next convoy back down, so we basically turned around and headed straight back down! Coming the other way was another tanker and then, after that, a small cruise ship called Le Dumont D’urville which, because it didn’t fill the chamber, was accompanied by 3 small yachts following behind it. 

By 1.15pm, some 4 hours after we commenced our upward approach, we were back down at the level of the Atlantic, bucket list well and truly ticked. 

We had lunch in the MDR and then both had an afternoon siesta following all the excitement of the morning (and the disturbed nights sleep). It also doesn’t help that our cabin air con is rubbish - something I’ve had to admit defeat on, but would make me wary of booking Aurora for a warm weather cruise again. Having stirred from our slumbers we went for an afternoon brew in Raffles but we were too late for the cakes (probably just as well with Sindhu booked for later). 

For dinner we had booked Sindhu. One of 4  bookings for the restaurant that we had made pre cruise. Pre booking is beneficial as you get 20% discount, plus loyalty discount and the pre booking charge is then deducted from your final bill. However, it gets better in that because you’ve pre booked you also then get a further 20% discount off your final food bill which is then further subject to loyalty discount. It’s a great offer that P&O don’t really promote. 

As mentioned last time we went, I’m not a huge fan of Sindhu, least of all on Aurora,  but this was the best of the 3 meals we’ve had there so far this cruise. 

The 10pm theatre show was Headliners Destination Dance. I remember this from previous cruises as being quite poor, so I wasn’t too keen on going but my wife was. As is so often the case, the performance was slightly marred by the audience members with verbal diarrhoea who simply cannot watch any show without having the need to pass comment to their partner at frequent intervals, but two guys in particular drove us both mad. They stood at the side and just kept talking at full volume. A frosty stare from me failed to stop them and then, much to my amazement, my wife ‘shushed’ them, which I’ve never known her do before, so I then felt empowered to follow that with a less polite instruction for them to “shut up”. Thankfully they both left soon after. As for the show, top marks to the Headliners. This show is all about dancing and all cast members, including the singers, are required to do a lot of often quite complex and fast paced dancing (Riverdance etc). We both thought that they all did extremely well. 

Tomorrow is a sea day prior to us continuing our exploration of Central America with Costa Rica on Wednesday. 

IMG_1670.jpeg

IMG_1689.jpeg

IMG_1705.jpeg

IMG_1708.jpeg

IMG_1710.jpeg

IMG_1719.jpeg

IMG_1726.jpeg

IMG_1729.jpeg

Glad it lived upto expectations.  I believe the company that owned that little cruise ship was owned by the private equity company that owned pret a menger. Probably sold on several times by now.

• Like 2

IMG_1715.thumb.jpeg.837ea90f4f1e0289fb45a189b25220f7.jpegDay 41 - Monday 12th February - Panama Canal (Partial Transit)

After our day in Colon we were already within sight of our next days destination - the Panama Canal. Presumably to save on port fees had we remained at the cruise terminal overnight (or even waited in the large estuary where all the other ships waiting to transit the canal wait), we headed out to sea. This was a great shame, as it was as rough as hell. Movement was considerable and disturbed our sleep. Just to illustrate how rough it was, I have taken to closing our balcony door but not locking it. Bizarrely, the door handle rattles when it’s locked but doesn’t otherwise. The lunging around was so great at one stage that our heavy balcony door flew completely open and then immediately swung closed with an almighty crash. Needless to say I had to get out of bed and lock it. I’m amazed that nothing fell off any shelves!  

It obviously calmed down, as we managed to get rocked back to sleep and woke to calmer waters as we were back in Colon. We then slowly passed under the Atlantic bridge (widest span of any bridge in Central or South America) and, accompanied by tugs, started lining up for our approach to the Panama Canal. 

Although only a partial transit, this was a major factor in booking this cruise. A World cruise (which you have to do in order to do a full transit - we can’t fly so a ‘sector’ isn’t possible) doesn’t remotely appeal to either of us, so this was a bucket list activity. 

Having visited the new canal locks yesterday and seen a cruise ship go through them, I was really hoping that we would transit through the original Gatun locks with the assistance of the electric ‘mule’ locomotives and, thankfully, I wasn’t  disappointed. I know that there are many who are happy to cruise in inside cabins, but we were so so glad that we had our own balcony to watch everything. 

Because we had booked a late Saver and only one accessible balcony cabin was available, we couldn't choose which side to be on. However, we have been lucky almost all cruise to have been on the port side (as we’ve had better outlooks in ports) but today we struck gold. We passed through the locks on the right hand channel which meant that the ships traversing the locks in the opposite direction were facing us. This meant that we could clearly see how the whole operation worked by watching the locks operate, the ships rise or drop and the clever mules busily doing their thing. 

Prior to entering the first lock I dashed up on to deck 13 and 14 to get some shots of us passing under the Atlantic bridge, passing the original (but aborted) French attempt at a Panama Canal, and forward facing photos of the locks ahead of us. The total rise is only 85 feet, but when you see a ship ahead of you in the highest lock it seems several times that! 

Once I’d done that we could see everything in comfort from our balcony. I’m pleased to say that it was every bit as interesting and thrilling as I had anticipated and will no doubt be the thing that I will remember most about this cruise (well, hopefully 😂 🤞). 

It’s such a clever operation and it’s amazing that it’s over 100 years old, as we were reminded with the ‘Gatun 1913’ inscription on the central building. There has been a comparative drought in Panama over the winter and water levels in Gatun Lake are still 5 feet below normal (hence all the exposed tree stumps that are usually submerged). In order to conserve water, in addition to water passing downwards between chambers, water is now diverted to the opposite direction chamber, so one ship falling helps the one opposite to rise. This makes the operation a little longer than usual. 

Two massive tankers passed us heading ‘down’ the locks (Makra and Vega Sea) as we were heading ‘up’. Apparently there was 2 ft clearance either side of us, but looking down from our balcony it looked more like 2 inches! There was quite a big bump and judder at one stage, but hopefully no damage was done!

We anticipated up to 90 minutes in Gatan Lake before our transit back down, but the Pilot said that we had to join the next convoy back down, so we basically turned around and headed straight back down! Coming the other way was another tanker and then, after that, a small cruise ship called Le Dumont D’urville which, because it didn’t fill the chamber, was accompanied by 3 small yachts following behind it. 

By 1.15pm, some 4 hours after we commenced our upward approach, we were back down at the level of the Atlantic, bucket list well and truly ticked. 

We had lunch in the MDR and then both had an afternoon siesta following all the excitement of the morning (and the disturbed nights sleep). It also doesn’t help that our cabin air con is rubbish - something I’ve had to admit defeat on, but would make me wary of booking Aurora for a warm weather cruise again. Having stirred from our slumbers we went for an afternoon brew in Raffles but we were too late for the cakes (probably just as well with Sindhu booked for later). 

For dinner we had booked Sindhu. One of 4  bookings for the restaurant that we had made pre cruise. Pre booking is beneficial as you get 20% discount, plus loyalty discount and the pre booking charge is then deducted from your final bill. However, it gets better in that because you’ve pre booked you also then get a further 20% discount off your final food bill which is then further subject to loyalty discount. It’s a great offer that P&O don’t really promote. 

As mentioned last time we went, I’m not a huge fan of Sindhu, least of all on Aurora,  but this was the best of the 3 meals we’ve had there so far this cruise. 

The 10pm theatre show was Headliners Destination Dance. I remember this from previous cruises as being quite poor, so I wasn’t too keen on going but my wife was. As is so often the case, the performance was slightly marred by the audience members with verbal diarrhoea who simply cannot watch any show without having the need to pass comment to their partner at frequent intervals, but two guys in particular drove us both mad. They stood at the side and just kept talking at full volume. A frosty stare from me failed to stop them and then, much to my amazement, my wife ‘shushed’ them, which I’ve never known her do before, so I then felt empowered to follow that with a less polite instruction for them to “shut up”. Thankfully they both left soon after. As for the show, top marks to the Headliners. This show is all about dancing and all cast members, including the singers, are required to do a lot of often quite complex and fast paced dancing (Riverdance etc). We both thought that they all did extremely well. 

Tomorrow is a sea day prior to us continuing our exploration of Central America with Costa Rica on Wednesday. 

IMG_1670.jpeg

IMG_1689.jpeg

IMG_1705.jpeg

IMG_1708.jpeg

IMG_1710.jpeg

IMG_1719.jpeg

IMG_1726.jpeg

IMG_1729.jpeg

Great photos.

• Like 1

I’m pleased to say that it was every bit as interesting and thrilling as I had anticipated and will no doubt be the thing that I will remember most about this cruise (well, hopefully 😂 🤞). 

I thought the thing you would remember most would be the flavoursome gravies and sauces.🤭

• Haha 12

20 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Live from our balcony. We are going through the original locks 👍

IMG_1699.jpeg

We did a cruise 19 years ago and did the full transit of the Panama.  We often say that the trip through the locks was one of our most memorable experiences and would love to be able to do it again. Unfortunately it is not going to happen because DH's health prevents him from flying.

• Like 2

We did a full transit a few years ago on Celebrity Infinity cruising up the coast of South America through the Canal ending in Florida.

We were in the old Canal but I believe the newer bigger Celebrity Ships have to use the new one.

• Like 1

Just now, TigerB said:

I thought the thing you would remember most would be the flavoursome gravies and sauces.🤭

They are the things I am hoping to forget - along with the cr@p air conditioning 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, Bloodaxe said:

We were in the old Canal but I believe the newer bigger Celebrity Ships have to use the new one.

Having visited the new locks the previous day (and watch HAL’s Rotterdam transit through them) I would have been so disappointed if we had gone through those. You have no ‘mules’ either side, just one tug in front and one behind, and it’s a single lane (I believe that they change direction every 6 hours).

For me, the interest was watching the mules doing their very clever work and seeing the entire operation of the ships coming in the opposite direction. In the new locks you would get neither of those experiences. 

• Like 9

Thank you @Selbourne your report and photos brought back the memories of our first Panama canal partial transit on Coral Princess, although our cabin was on the starboard side I well remember being fascinated by the mules  travelling up and down on the track alongside the canal, and the ship slowly being raised up in each lock.

I hope your sore throat continues to improve and that the food and aircon starts to meet your expectations.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Having visited the new locks the previous day (and watch HAL’s Rotterdam transit through them) I would have been so disappointed if we had gone through those. You have no ‘mules’ either side, just one tug in front and one behind, and it’s a single lane (I believe that they change direction every 6 hours).

For me, the interest was watching the mules doing their very clever work and seeing the entire operation of the ships coming in the opposite direction. In the new locks you would get neither of those experiences. 

I agree, until you mentioned it I had no idea that the new locks did not use mules and that they are only single chamber. Thus being vulnerable to any failures, but clearly the old locks will be maintained for some considerable time. The problem will be once the “Pananmax” ships (Arcadia & Aurora) go. No doubt Ventura will take over as she has for some 35 night cruises, but will only be able to use the new locks. Yet another case of being glad we did it when we did.

Just now, Bill Y said:

No doubt Ventura will take over as she has for some 35 night cruises, but will only be able to use the new locks. Yet another case of being glad we did it when we did.

Yes we said exactly the same. A transit through the new locks wouldn’t be a fraction of the experience IMO. 

This account brought back memories of our Panama Canal transit on Arcadia in, if I remember correctly February 2008. We flew to Barbados, picked up the ship and then got to the canal via the ABC islands travelling westward. There was talk then about the new extended canal but we were confined to the “old” one. We were accompanied throughout by a Chinese cargo ship. Also on Arcadia were Peter Snow and his son John Snow. Peter gave talks throughout the voyage and John was working on a project. This was before John got involved in television documentaries. The commentary we had was excellent but blow me down we had to endure it again that evening whilst on a tour of Panama City. This was a tender port and the sea was really rough and it was dark (doubt if it would have gone ahead these days). We then sailed up the west coast, stopping at Guatemala which was another experience altogether and eventually disembarking at Acapulco to fly home. We will never forget that trip.

thanks Selbourne for your photos and description of the journey. Hope you are soon feeling better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We did that full transit cruise in Feb 2008 too - but in reverse. We flew to Acapulco and home from Barbados. It was the first time we had a balcony and spoiled us for evermore!! I too remember looking down and wondering how on earth the ship managed to fit in as there seemed very little room. I can’t believe it’s 15 years ago!

23 minutes ago, scarlet ohara said:

We did that full transit cruise in Feb 2008 too - but in reverse. We flew to Acapulco and home from Barbados. It was the first time we had a balcony and spoiled us for evermore!! I too remember looking down and wondering how on earth the ship managed to fit in as there seemed very little room. I can’t believe it’s 15 years ago!

16!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, scarlet ohara said:

We did the Acapulco to Barbados cruise on good old Oceana in March 2010, for my 50th birthday.

Selbourne's account and photos have evoked a lot of happy memories

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

We did a full transit a few years ago on Celebrity Infinity cruising up the coast of South America through the Canal ending in Florida.

We also did the full transit of the old canal on Celebrity Infinity - San Diego to Fort Lauderdale - and the guest speaker was a guy who had grown up around the canal as his father was an engineer on the project. A fascinating trip.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pennib said:

This account brought back memories of our Panama Canal transit on Arcadia in, if I remember correctly February 2008. We flew to Barbados, picked up the ship and then got to the canal via the ABC islands travelling westward. There was talk then about the new extended canal but we were confined to the “old” one. We were accompanied throughout by a Chinese cargo ship. Also on Arcadia were Peter Snow and his son John Snow. Peter gave talks throughout the voyage and John was working on a project. This was before John got involved in television documentaries. The commentary we had was excellent but blow me down we had to endure it again that evening whilst on a tour of Panama City. This was a tender port and the sea was really rough and it was dark (doubt if it would have gone ahead these days). We then sailed up the west coast, stopping at Guatemala which was another experience altogether and eventually disembarking at Acapulco to fly home. We will never forget that trip.

thanks Selbourne for your photos and description of the journey. Hope you are soon feeling better.

We did it on Arcadia over Christmas/New Year 2008 😁.    Started in Acapulco and did it the other way.   Nicaragua, Costa Rica on the Pacific side.  Didn’t get off in Panama City.