Host Lifestyle Fund

johng75370

On other all-inclusive lines we've sailed on (Seabourn, Crystal) there is a "crew welfare fund" if you'd like to add to the included gratuities.  We found out on our December cruise that EJ has a similar option called the Host Lifestyle Fund.  In case that's what you're used to doing on other lines the same applies for EJ, and was appreciated by some of the hosts who thanked us for it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saminina said:

That is a no-no.  Host lifestyle fund is a yes-yes.  No way you would know about it unless asking guest services.

Why is it a NO-NO?  I’m okay to know that there is an option to spread additional tips crew-wide if that is your preference, but why should I be restricted from individual host thank you’s. Particularly since the ‘gratuities’ or ‘hotel service charge’ , which is the crew-wide distribution is already included.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, kidless said:

Not sure I trust a “fund” who manages fund and decides who gets it?

Not sure how EJ runs it, but usually it is run by a crew committee for something the entire crew can benefit from that wouldn't normally be provided by the cruise line.  On one voyage we were told it was going into expanding the crew fitness room with higher-end equipment, on another it was to fund special crew parties.  It seems pretty standard practice for all-inclusive lines and the crew seem to genuinely appreciate it.  Unlike how gratuities are divided up based on role (and some get small amounts), or how only customer-facing crew get something extra from the passengers (when was the last time you saw someone handing an envelope at the end of the cruise to engine room crew), this is something that all crew can benefit from equally (laundry staff benefit the same as the butler staff).  

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Arrgh.  Host Lifestyle Fund.  Another new, and not intuitive name, from Starbucks-of-the-Seas... 😉

Starbucks at Sea - have you sailed on them?  If so I am curious why you equate EJ to Starbucks

I get that the naming conventions can be  annoying and some of the approaches need tweaking (aka the entertainment) but our 19 days onboard felt very much like a cruise experience and a very good one at that. Nothing as mass market as Starbucks! 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Arrgh.  Host Lifestyle Fund.  Another new, and not intuitive name, from Starbucks-of-the-Seas... 😉

We can but pray for the total demise of Exploraspeak😀

• Like 2

We’ve also contributed to the crew fund on EJ. Really wasn’t aware of this until we sailed on Atlas where they have a crew talent show to encourage guests to contribute. These funds are also available for crew emergency travel and other such immediate needs. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, uktog said:

Starbucks at Sea - have you sailed on them?  If so I am curious why you equate EJ to Starbucks

Starbuckspeak.  Exploraspeak.  I don't think of Starbucks as mass market, I think of it as pretentious.  And the Exploraspeak gives me the same vibe.  So no, I haven't sailed on EJ.  And I haven't overpaid for a misnamed coffee at Starbucks.

8 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Starbuckspeak.  Exploraspeak.  I don't think of Starbucks as mass market, I think of it as pretentious.  And the Exploraspeak gives me the same vibe.  So no, I haven't sailed on EJ.  And I haven't overpaid for a misnamed coffee at Starbucks.

My onboard experience - it’s certainly not pretentious. Names are a minor irritant but not enough to dismiss the line 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Hi! Starbucks, pretentious?... I know, off topic, but, well, maybe that would be from where you live, not from here in Portugal where I live.

Let us to face it like it is: Here we rarely have places provided with very knowledgeable coffee baristas like generally Starbucks places. In most places they'll just to make you the basic coffee drinks... But for such a coffee lover whom wants those "fancy" coffee drinks like me, there are here very few places where you can to splurge on those "fancy" coffee drinks. Of course, most of those few places that provide beat Starbucks by KO on the first second of the first round with no possible appeal instance... But, then: How many Starbucks against those places? In Lisbon, Portugal's capital we have some 5-10 premium location Starbucks places against 2-4 on similar locations of the other adequate places, other than Hotel bars. Starbucks is also the cheapest of those coffee lover adequate places. Choice here is then quite clear. So now: Is Starbucks a luxury coffee house like EJ is a luxury cruise line? Surely not by any means. But they're not pretentious by any means. Surely there are far better bean trademarks here... But on the "fancy" drinks department they have basically little to no competition here. No surprise I'm anxious that mid month comes till I go again from my small village to the capital City and, time permitting, I'll to splurge on one of those Frapuccinos out there, or maybe a strong hot mocaccino once we're on a heavy cold winter here!... And while for me EJ may be somewhat "crazy" from time to time, from what I'm reading here and elsewhere, they're for a far higher standards than anything Starbucks has to offer...

• Like 2

OK, yes – if you want "fancy" coffee drinks, Starbucks was the pioneer.  But here's why I don't go there:

(1) the pretentious cup names – I would stand at the counter until they agree to make me a 'medium,' which is probably never

(2) in her aspiring actress days, my daughter was a Starbucks barista.  During the training program at 'Starbucks University' they admitted that they deliberately burn the beans.  In other words, they know how to make good espresso but they choose not to – so you will be forced to add lots of caramel syrup etc. to make it palatable.

(3) the only coffee drink I order is café au lait (or I will settle for a latte, which isn't quite the same) – and that's not something that Starbucks does very well.

As to Explora Journeys – I have read every post in this forum [I'm a somewhat OCD host...].  I see that many people really love the onboard experience – and I trust @uktog's judgment from the Azamara forum.  But aside from the excellent food, I resonate more with the complaints – and I will admit, I just can't get the pretentious naming out of my craw.  And I'm not comfortable with all the changes and broken promises.

Maybe if I saw a really killer itinerary I would give them a try, but so far I'm booked up through January 2026.  By that point they should have settled on business plan 2.0

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

OK, yes – if you want "fancy" coffee drinks, Starbucks was the pioneer.  But here's why I don't go there:

(1) the pretentious cup names – I would stand at the counter until they agree to make me a 'medium,' which is probably never

(2) in her aspiring actress days, my daughter was a Starbucks barista.  During the training program at 'Starbucks University' they admitted that they deliberately burn the beans.  In other words, they know how to make good espresso but they choose not to – so you will be forced to add lots of caramel syrup etc. to make it palatable.

(3) the only coffee drink I order is café au lait (or I will settle for a latte, which isn't quite the same) – and that's not something that Starbucks does very well.

As to Explora Journeys – I have read every post in this forum [I'm a somewhat OCD host...].  I see that many people really love the onboard experience – and I trust @uktog's judgment from the Azamara forum.  But aside from the excellent food, I resonate more with the complaints – and I will admit, I just can't get the pretentious naming out of my craw.  And I'm not comfortable with all the changes and broken promises.

Maybe if I saw a really killer itinerary I would give them a try, but so far I'm booked up through January 2026.  By that point they should have settled on business plan 2.0

Ah, yes! That I can see. Really "simple" coffee is not their thing, on that I'm with you and they sometimes go more for marketing than efficiency, on that I can see. Problem is... On the "fancy drinks" department here they, basically speaking, have no competition from where I live!...

As regarding EJ: I was "dating" an itinerary that was cancelled. I still consider them on the "crazy" list, but I believe they'll not only to get there, than they'll also to become the normative one in the segment. Time will tell...

Thanks and have a wonderful year!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

As regarding EJ: I was "dating" an itinerary that was cancelled. I still consider them on the "crazy" list, but I believe they'll not only to get there, than they'll also to become the normative one in the segment. Time will tell...

Thanks and have a wonderful year!

I'm also following Atlas Ocean Voyages.  Based on our wonderful trips to Portugal last year, a Portuguese-owned cruise line has a built-in advantage for me!

We’ve been on both EJ and Atlas in 2023. Enjoyed both lines. Due to size, EJ offers more and the food is much better. Did enjoy the small Atlas passenger count and the included excursions and events. Would love to see other cruise lines follow their trend. 

• Like 2

On 1/5/2024 at 6:40 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Host Jazzbeau...having sailed on Explora, it IS pretentious, in the extreme. My rebellious teenage streak seems to have re-emerged (I am in my sixties !!) and my posts here will not succumb to using such drivel. If only all posters did the same....

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2024 at 6:50 PM, uktog said:

My onboard experience - it’s certainly not pretentious. Names are a minor irritant but not enough to dismiss the line 

Explora is definitely not pretentious, which is why Exploraspeak is both tedious and unnecessary.. Did it affect our enjoyment, of course not...see my lengthy review. Just don't give in to this rubbish.

On 1/6/2024 at 8:01 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm also following Atlas Ocean Voyages.  Based on our wonderful trips to Portugal last year, a Portuguese-owned cruise line has a built-in advantage for me!

Yeah!... Atlas seems to be doing such a great job! And as EJ, they're not such a simple newcomer. They've come from the owners of "Douro Azul" such a small Portuguese Douro river operator with some 50 years if not more. They're now on the very small exploration or adventure cruise niche. I believe they're doing very well! If it wasn't for the pandemic, I'd bet Atlas would to become one of the biggies in such a relatively small amount of time. They're extremely successful among the German market where they own a tour operator and cruise line (they share the ships among the trademarks)... But the pandemic seems to have changed their mind at least to an en extent. Now; I believe they want to solidly consolidate the Exploration and river cruising departments till they eventually try to go on to the luxe or mid luxe market, and they forgot the idea to grow till they become one of the biggies for the foreseeable future... Thanks and congrats to the preference!...

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 6:11 PM, kelleherdl said:

Why is it a NO-NO?  I’m okay to know that there is an option to spread additional tips crew-wide if that is your preference, but why should I be restricted from individual host thank you’s. Particularly since the ‘gratuities’ or ‘hotel service charge’ , which is the crew-wide distribution is already included.

I'm  with you. I have no idea why it would be considered a no-no or why someone would feel it was their place to declare it as such.

On 1/4/2024 at 3:11 PM, kelleherdl said:

Particularly since the ‘gratuities’ or ‘hotel service charge’ , which is the crew-wide distribution is already included.

Your knowledge exceeds mine.   I've lived under delusion that crew on Explora are paid flat salary when signing a contract.  The crew does not expect gratuities.    It is not a separate line item.  If a segment has ten or 900 passengers, crew are paid flat rate.

Of course, any passenger can do what they want to do for tipping individuals.  It is contrary to the original intent of all inclusive and why crew fund is popular to express gratitude.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2024 at 6:50 PM, uktog said:

I love your new positivity after your earlier trials and tribulations.

We have just been informed that our third request for a reduction following the latest special offer has been accepted. It’s almost like a present every every month.

On 1/8/2024 at 9:48 PM, saminina said:

Your knowledge exceeds mine.   I've lived under delusion that crew on Explora are paid flat salary when signing a contract.  The crew does not expect gratuities.    It is not a separate line item.  If a segment has ten or 900 passengers, crew are paid flat rate.

Of course, any passenger can do what they want to do for tipping individuals.  It is contrary to the original intent of all inclusive and why crew fund is popular to express gratitude.

I guess we do have separate understandings of what is ‘included?’  From the EJ FAQ’s…..

How much are gratuities?

Gratuities are included in your journey fare.