Advice Needed: Early Disembarkation for flight out of Fort Lauderdale

Hoping I can get some feedback from those that have flown out of Fort Lauderdale, FL before.

I'm Platinum on Carnival and have always taken advantage of the Priority Self-Assist disembarkation.  However, this is my first time sailing with Holland America,

I am on a 7-Day on the Nieuw Amsterdam in December and will disembark on a Sunday.  We are supposed to arrive at 7:00 am.

I have a 10:30 am flight with a 1:33 layover in Atlanta or a 11:30 am flight with a 39 minute layover in Atlanta.  Both the 10:30 am and 11:30 am flight connect to the same flght, so I'll arrive at my final destination at the same time.

I would prefer to take the 10:30 am flight and allow for more time to make my connecting flight (1:33 vs 39 minutes, but I am also cognizant that it may be wiser to catch the 11:30 flight to avoid missing my flight entrely.

Since I don't have any status, is it possible to arrange early disembarkation through Guest Services when I arrive?

I don't want to come accross as entitled, but would it be a reasonable request for someone with a 10:30 am flight?

I have TSA Precheck and Clear, so I am hoping it'll be quicker to clear security, once I arrive at the airport.

Would it be better to catch Uber/Lyft/Taxi to the airport, rather than relaying on Holland's shared transport shuttle?

As an aside, I am traveling solo and booked an inside cabin.  I don't think Club Orange would be worth it for me, unless it offered me a better chance to disembark early.  However, I welcome any advice.

Edited by diesteldorf

• diesteldorf changed the title to Advice Needed: Early Disembarkation for flight out of Fort Lauderdale

If you can carry your own bags, you can self disembark as soon as the ship is cleared.  There will be a line of people doing the same.  You may want to join it early. Grab a taxi to the airport.  We take a 10:30 flight home every time we fly from FLL  and are usually sitting at the gate by 9.  

• Like 6

Typically you should be able to make the 10:30 flight.  However, if it’s a holiday weekend I would go with the 11:30 flight.  This past December we disembarked on a Friday and the traffic at the airport was the worst we and the cab driver ever saw.  It would have been an hour wait in line except that the driver took us to the arrival area and that was much faster.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

, if it’s a holiday weekend I would go with the 11:30 flight.

I’d be more concerned about the 39 minute connection in Atlanta on the 11:30 flight, especially on a holiday weekend.

• Like 7

Thanks for all the feedback.  I am glad to hear that it is best to avoid the Holland shuttle and just take a cab/rideshare.  That was my instinct.

Should I still go to Guest Services sometime before disembarkation to let them know I have an early flight?  Will I need to provide proof?

It may seem silly, but for 95% of my previous cruises on Carnival, I've either been a passenger in someone's car or a passenger on Amtrak, so I am not experienced with trying to get off early to catch a flight.

I'm sailing the first week in December so I shouldn't have to worry about holiday traffic.

If any of the connections fall through, it's not the end of the world, but it sounds like catching a 10:30 am flight out of FLL is not unreasonable.  I built in a buffer day for embarkation, arriving in FLL Saturday afternoon for a Sunday departure, but wanted to avoid overnighting in FLL, on the way home, unless it was absolutely necessary.

I really appreciate all the information.

Edited by diesteldorf

All you need to do is declare you are carrying off your own bags. This is done a couple ways...HAL seems to be transitioning to a "self serve" bag tag...you go to a display and select the bag tag that is for carrying off your luggage. Or, the old way is a form is sent around, and you declare you will be carrying off your own luggage. Simple as that.

Take a cab...there will be many staged outside the terminal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OmarOak said:

FLL is fairly painless. Last Sunday (1/7) we were through security at the airport less than 1 hour after stepping off the ship.

Thanks.  That makes me feel even better.....I avoided Miami for a reason...LOL

• Like 2

To the OP:  Loyalty status has nothing to do with disembarkation, but you should check the FLL port schedule for that day and see how many ships are in. Two or three megas can make for a crazy airport!  The walk-off line will start forming around 6:30-45, and it can get long.  Once the ship is cleared, the line does move pretty quickly.

7 hours ago, diesteldorf said:

...Should I still go to Guest Services sometime before disembarkation to let them know I have an early flight?  Will I need to provide proof?...

No need to specially notify Guest Services - your following the self-assist process and lining up to scan off in the first group per the notices @POA1 posted above, is your notice to them. If you go, they'll likely refer you to the self-assist process.

Reminder, your ability to get off right away is dependent upon the timing of ships clearance.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

The only time I have taken the HAL airport transfer was at FLL, and it was a big mistake. Very long wait for the bus to leave, and it turned out the taxi fare was not much more than HAL. I was solo, but if you are with 2 or more passengers, it is even a better deal.

21 hours ago, julia said:

To the OP:  Loyalty status has nothing to do with disembarkation, but you should check the FLL port schedule for that day and see how many ships are in. Two or three megas can make for a crazy airport!  The walk-off line will start forming around 6:30-45, and it can get long.  Once the ship is cleared, the line does move pretty quickly.

Thanks for pointing this out.  On Carnival, one of the primary loyalty benefits for Platinum is free laundry and priority embarkcation/debarkation.

I'm one of those wierdos that likes to hangout at my hotel, eat breakfast, get late checkout, if offered, etc, and get on the boat a little later, when cabins are ready and crowds have thinned out.  However, I'll normally always take advantage of priority disembarkation and get off as soon as possible.

I figured Holland had a similar system and gave those with the highest loyalty the option to get off first...while the peons (like me) had to wait.

Glad to know it shouldn't be like that.  Thanks again for the info.

It won't be a problem for you to get to the airport in plenty of time for the 10:30 flight as long as you carry your luggage off yourself and take a taxi/ ride share.  What caught my attention is the date you mention - next December. That's a long time from now and flights can and do change this far out. Just be aware of every email you get after you book your flight for a potential change.

Keep in mind that cruise ships can and do arrive late due to circumstances beyond anyone’s control. Our most recent cruise on Zaandam arrived 3 hours late in FLL because we had a medical emergency on the last evening that required us to divert to Nassau on the way back to FLL. Many people who booked early flights were out of luck. Those who booked their own flight arrangements were on their own to make alternative arrangements while people who booked flights through HAL had their flights rebooked. It’s one reason they won’t book flights that depart before 1pm just to allow for situations like that. 

Had a similar experience on Princess on the west coast when we arrived in LA 6 hours late. In that case Princess did reimburse us for having to rebook since they arrived after their recommended cutoff time for departing flights. 

it doesn’t happen often but you simply cannot count on a cruise ship being anywhere at any time. 

3 hours ago, Sdbulla said:

It won't be a problem for you to get to the airport in plenty of time for the 10:30 flight as long as you carry your luggage off yourself and take a taxi/ ride share.  What caught my attention is the date you mention - next December. That's a long time from now and flights can and do change this far out. Just be aware of every email you get after you book your flight for a potential change.

If you're flying with United, log in and check your flight from time to time. I did that just yesterday and discovered my flight home from Miami next month has been changed from 12:55, which was comfortable, to 10:21, which is not. I NEVER got an email from them. This has happened before. I think every trip I've taken to Seattle has had significant changes. One time, the departure AND flight number changed. I only found out because the car service that I had booked contacted me to ask what happened. 

I used Luggage Direct last winter in FLL, and we were the next group off after the people carrying their own bags. I was through security and at the United Lounge drinking coffee before 9 AM. I know you can't use Luggage Direct (thank you, @CruiserBruce for clarifying that), but carrying your own bags means you won't have search for anything in the terminal. Just walk out and grab a taxi.  

• Like 1

My flight was at 9:40AM on Dec. 22nd (busy day) and I got to the gate over an hour before take-off. Get in line before the ship opens its doors, as mentioned, and of course have your own bags. I was flying an airline that could have accommodated me had I been late, so I wasn't too worried.

We disembarked Eurodam on 12/27 in Port Everglade. The Lime 1 tags were not the first tags called, Self-assist and Luggage Direct were first iirc, followed by some colors that weren't available at Guest Services (what I presume were priority disembark options for suites and higher-tier repeat cruisers). They were prompt at calling the Lime 1 tags though, and we picked up our bags and did an Uber to the airport and were dropped off at the airport at 8:54 AM.

The lines at the airport were pretty brutal, we flew Delta and had priority access so we only waited about 10 minutes to check bags - but I bet the line to check bags otherwise was probably an hour or more. The airport lines are probably your biggest risk to catching a 10:30 AM flight. Noting here that many airlines let you buy up to premium economy seats that come with priority line access and might be worth considering.

I would do Luggage Direct with HAL for sailings disembarking in FLL.  You won't see your bags again until you are at your final destination.  In my opinion, it is well worth it. Then early walk off ship and take cab or Uber to the airport and 10:30 flight should be fine. 

• Like 1