Retreat Concept

As  the cruise lines are moving more and more to the ship within a ship concept for suites, it's becoming increasing that parts of the ship, either the front or the aft on NCL's newest ships are reserved for suite guests. it's the new normal.

Brochure photo of the first ship I cruised on,

Italian Line “Leonardo da Vinci”.

Each of the three classes had their own pool, lido deck, IMG_3326.thumb.jpeg.23e5f521d48984b3910a5a7099e02e4d.jpegand pool bar aft.

Segregated yes, but everyone still could access desirable outdoor space.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, deliver42 said:

As  the cruise lines are moving more and more to the ship within a ship concept for suites, it's becoming increasing that parts of the ship, either the front or the aft on NCL's newest ships are reserved for suite guests. it's the new normal.

You are referring to the mass cruise lines, not the premium, luxury and exploration.

I have cancelled the mass lines due to the ship in a ship concept. I know others who have done the same.

As a dear friend said "no front view, you are cancelled".

And it is not about $, we can afford any level we wish.

• Like 1

Which of the luxury cruises have subsidized fares?  Cruising is not an egalitarian activity.  Everyone pays a different price for their cabin.  And some just can’t afford it.

On 1/11/2024 at 5:30 PM, DaKahuna said:

Why do people keep repeating this untruth.  The Sky Lounge on Deck 11 provides a tremendous front viewing and is enclosed from the elements.  We find the Retreat Sky Desks too windy for a relaxing experience when the ship is traveling along at 16 - 18 knots, especially when sailing into the wind.

The same is true of deck 14 on the S-class ships.  

The E-Class is the only class where there is no true whole front viewing areas outside of the Retreat Sundeck. 

Yet another reason why I will not book E class.  

M class was the best IMHO.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 9:56 AM, Andy_P said:

Last year we did a B2B with one week in a Sky Suite and one week in Aqua Class.  Another B2B a year earlier was Aqua Class then Veranda.  Each week I lost privileges based on what I had paid, and I was fine with that.  

We actually did a sky suite, then an SV, but it didn’t bother us at all.  Actually, we met a wonderful couple and had dinner with them most of the cruise.  We are doing the same in 2025(b2b), along with a new ship/different company for a smaller ship/itinerary.  It is so nice to have choices!

Edited by Lastdance

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Which of the luxury cruises have subsidized fares?  Cruising is not an egalitarian activity.  Everyone pays a different price for their cabin.  And some just can’t afford it.

Yes, and they also pay different prices for the same cabin/suite category like you were mentioning above.  Some get price drops, group rates etc...I could go on forever.  When I was new to cruising, I met someone who had 2,000 in OBC and I was just amazed...then I learned the secrets!

Edited by Lastdance