Queen Anne godmother?

LadyL1

I'm not sure if this breaks any Cunard tradition, but surely it would make the most sense for Princess Anne to name the ship, and I would assume then become Godmother?

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, MylesS said:

I'm not sure if this breaks any Cunard tradition, but surely it would make the most sense for Princess Anne to name the ship, and I would assume then become Godmother?

Oh, I hope so.  She is my favorite member of the family.  

• Like 3

I think she'll be named by the Queen and I suspect that Cunard only asked Camilla to name QV because they realised that she would be the Queen at some point in the future.

I do like Princess Anne though and it would be equally as special if she named QA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tacticalbanjo said:

I think she'll be named by the Queen and I suspect that Cunard only asked Camilla to name QV because they realised that she would be the Queen at some point in the future.

I do like Princess Anne though and it would be equally as special if she named QA.

I think it would be very appropriate to have the Princess Royal name the new ship, Queen Anne.

If Cunard foresaw Camilla being queen they had access to a crystal ball that few people had. I think even the Queen (ER) didn't expect Camilla to be called 'queen' one day and certainly not in 2007.

27 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I think it would be very appropriate to have the Princess Royal name the new ship, Queen Anne.

If Cunard foresaw Camilla being queen they had access to a crystal ball that few people had. I think even the Queen (ER) didn't expect Camilla to be called 'queen' one day and certainly not in 2007.

She was married to the future king in 2007, no crystal ball required. The late Queen knew as well as anyone else that legally the wife of the King is the Queen. It's automatic and there was never anything anyone could do about it no matter what was said at the time.

• Like 4

Just now, tacticalbanjo said:

She was married to the future king in 2007, no crystal ball required. The late Queen knew as well as anyone else that legally the wife of the King is the Queen. It's automatic and there was never anything anyone could do about it no matter what was said at the time.

Actually, she was touted to be known as 'Princess Consort'. It was quite late in the life of QE (2022 I believe) that it was announced it was the Queen's dearest wish or words to that effect that Camilla be known as Queen Consort. The title of 'Queen' and its acceptance by the public has been a surprise to many. 

18 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Actually, she was touted to be known as 'Princess Consort'. It was quite late in the life of QE (2022 I believe) that it was announced it was the Queen's dearest wish or words to that effect that Camilla be known as Queen Consort. The title of 'Queen' and its acceptance by the public has been a surprise to many. 

But all the time the legal position has been that she would be queen in the same way that Mr Bloggs's wife can call herself Mrs Bloggs immediately upon her marriage. The wife of a King is a Queen Consort (as opposed to a Queen Regnant) but always referred to simply as the Queen or Queen Firstname. See Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother for recent Queen Consorts.

None of this was a surprise to anyone who understands the hundreds of years of tradition surrounding how titles and styles in the UK work. Not to mention that it would be a brave man to slight his wife in such a way!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tacticalbanjo said:

But all the time the legal position has been that she would be queen in the same way that Mr Bloggs's wife can call herself Mrs Bloggs immediately upon her marriage. The wife of a King is a Queen Consort (as opposed to a Queen Regnant) but always referred to simply as the Queen or Queen Firstname. See Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother for recent Queen Consorts.

None of this was a surprise to anyone who understands the hundreds of years of tradition surrounding how titles and styles in the UK work. Not to mention that it would be a brave man to slight his wife in such a way!

I've lost count of the number of times I've explained to friends on my side of The Pond why Prince Philip wouldn't become king after Queen Elizabeth died (obviously, not recently), and why Queen Camilla won't take over after King Charles dies. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, tacticalbanjo said:

It was announced at the time of the marriage of Charles and Camilla that upon his ascending the throne she would be known as Princess Consort. That's just a fact. The Queen then announced in her speech during her jubilee year that it was her 'sincere wish that, when that time comes, Camilla will be known as Queen Consort as she continues her own loyal service.' (direct quote from her speech)

I would assume the unusual circumstances of Camilla's history (having been divorced for a start) as the wife of the king would have been the reason for their nominating the lesser title of Princess Consort for her. You may recall that the Queen didn't even attend their wedding ceremony and refused to be seen with her for a very long time preceding that.

'The wife of a King is a Queen Consort' you said but I would respond that the wife of the king is not usually a divorced woman (if we wish to talk about 'hundreds of years of tradition' and an understanding 'of how ttles and styles work'). Charles would most probably not even be king if there had been a precedent for that (although Wallis Simpson would not have borne an heir to the throne so it's still likely that he might have been).

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

It was announced at the time of the marriage of Charles and Camilla that upon his ascending the throne she would be known as Princess Consort. That's just a fact. The Queen then announced in her speech during her jubilee year that it was her 'sincere wish that, when that time comes, Camilla will be known as Queen Consort as she continues her own loyal service.' (direct quote from her speech)

I would assume the unusual circumstances of Camilla's history (having been divorced for a start) as the wife of the king would have been the reason for their nominating the lesser title of Princess Consort for her. You may recall that the Queen didn't even attend their wedding ceremony and refused to be seen with her for a very long time preceding that.

'The wife of a King is a Queen Consort' you said but I would respond that the wife of the king is not usually a divorced woman (if we wish to talk about 'hundreds of years of tradition' and an understanding 'of how ttles and styles work'). Charles would most probably not even be king if there had been a precedent for that (although Wallis Simpson would not have borne an heir to the throne so it's still likely that he might have been).

To quote The Times History Correspondent and deputy diary Editor, ''no Queen has ever had the title Queen Consort in their style'' and ''a Monarch cannot bind the hands of their successor'', so good for King Charles.

It's a very subtle difference but it was inevitable Queen Camilla, the Queen Consort, would be officially styled ''Queen Camilla'' and on occasions, just ''The Queen''.

Sits well with me. She's earned it.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

And yet despite all of the blather, nothing concrete was ever done to fix a title that wasn't Queen. A change to royal titles and styles would have required agreement from all Commonwealth countries as required by the Statute of Westminster. What was said as a sop to Diana fans was just smoke and mirrors to keep them quiet until the inevitable happened.

The Government blocked a marriage to Wallis Simpson because they knew she would automatically be Queen and she was, for a number of reasons none of which apply to Camilla, deemed unsuitable. Even the divorce issue was sorted by 2002. And when the Government goes against the Crown, unfortunately our unwritten constitution says that the Crown must give way.

25 minutes ago, rog747 said:

IMO could be Camilla, HM The Queen, or maybe HRH The Princess Royal, Princess Anne.

Is the Royal Diary viewable >? 

If we knew the date QA was being names we could probably do some exciting detective work!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Does it have to be a woman? Perhaps they could choose the most admired person in the UK at present: the indomitable Mr. Bates?

Our US friends might think the Brits have gone for a Valet of renown status!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My tuppence is suspect  due to Cunards links with the Princes Trust and the cachet of their long association with the royal family they will request the most senior member they can to launch it i.e. Queen Camilla.

As she launched QV I would suspect if her diary allows she will be the one.

It is said that the King expects and respects people who have shown her the relevant courtesy/respects her position entitles her to so again he would likely be pleased should Cunard ask her.

Also to be pragmatic the age of HM King

& HM Queen and the frequency Cunard launch new liners/ships then it could be Cunards/Queen Camillas last chance of a launch before the next generation of royals take charge 

• Like 3

Reading the site “Facts about Christening Ships” it states that the tradition of breaking a bottle over the hull goes back at least 5 thousand years.It is believed to bring good luck and lead to the ships safe journeys.

In 2007, when Camilla the then Duchess of Cornwall was launching Queen Victoria, the bottle didnot break.The media dubbed it the “Curse of Camilla” as afew weeks later dozens of passengers fell sick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1