Need HELP!!

kwhear435

How would a TA benefit from changing a cabin to guarantee and taking off included gratuities?  Isn't the deposit and final payment charged directly to HAL?

7 minutes ago, Roz said:

How would a TA benefit from changing a cabin to guarantee and taking off included gratuities?  Isn't the deposit and final payment charged directly to HAL?

As a former TA, this agency could have been part of a Consortia, and a consortia group was pulled on this sailing. Might possibly have moved this res into the group, perhaps for a better price. But then the room assignment and amenities fell off. There's also a box to "auto upgrade", which could have been ticked. 

It may not have been the agent going into the booking and actually changing it. One thing here is that the entire reservation has a transaction history each time it was accessed, and by whom. The folks at HAL resolutions will be able to see the entire thing. 

Edited by Rinderoo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Roz said:

It should be. Any cruise I've booked through my TA shows the cruise line on the credit card bill, not the agency. However, I have heard of some agencies billing to them and then paying the cruise line, in which case there would be room to fiddle.

However, I think this is more likely a mistake and the TA and supervisor are trying to stonewall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rinderoo said:

As a former TA, this agency could have been part of a Consortia, and a consortia group was pulled on this sailing. Might possibly have moved this res into the group, perhaps for a better price. But then the room assignment and amenities fell off. There's also a box to "auto upgrade", which could have been ticked. 

It may not have been the agent going into the booking and actually changing it. One thing here is that the entire reservation has a transaction history each time it was accessed, and by whom. The folks at HAL resolutions will be able to see the entire thing. 

It would seem that “moving the reservation possibly for a better price” shouldn’t be done without the customer’s approval. Also, an auto upgrade wouldn’t explain going from a VB to a VH. That’s a downgrade. It just sounds like someone screwed up and doesn’t want to own up to it so they are just making excuses and in CYA mode. I would not accept anything other than what was agreed to. 

You are quite correct here. Nothing should ever be done to a cruise reservation that has been booked without client consent. Especially when you know the room assignments are important and there are amenities.

There were mistakes made here. I hope the OP is able to get a resolution to their satisfaction.  

No we still can’t get anyone to talk to us.  We have gone to her company’s customer service department and they were no help.  Holland has confirmed she changed both our booking and our friends booking to a guarantee cabin and taken gratuities away.  She still denies it.  We make calls every day trying to go to the next person higher.  

Does the TA acknowledge that the booking has changed?  Does she blame HAL for the changes?  If it is true that others here say that HAL, and your TA, should have records of anytime the reservation was looked at, I'd ask for copies of those records.

31 minutes ago, kwhear435 said:

No we still can’t get anyone to talk to us.  We have gone to her company’s customer service department and they were no help.  Holland has confirmed she changed both our booking and our friends booking to a guarantee cabin and taken gratuities away.  She still denies it.  We make calls every day trying to go to the next person higher.  

Be persistent! (I know, easy for me to say.) Sometimes the "customer service" person you get is not really influenced too much by understanding what it means to serve the customer. I apologize for repeating myself, but I had the best luck by calling the PCC line, asking for a supervisor, not letting them take a message, and then just holding for a long time until a supervisor came on . But no guarantee that will work, either. Good luck.

The strangest thing about all this is that you have the receipt, and the TA doesn't admit to changing it. Sometimes an email to the right person or department helps, but there are so many departments that it's not easy to know which one will pay attention. Maybe an email with a copy of the invoice.

Edited by YourWorldWithBill
Added a line

22 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Be persistent! (I know, easy for me to say.) Sometimes the "customer service" person you get is not really influenced too much by understanding what it means to serve the customer. I apologize for repeating myself, but I had the best luck by calling the PCC line, asking for a supervisor, not letting them take a message, and then just holding for a long time until a supervisor came on . But no guarantee that will work, either. Good luck.

The strangest thing about all this is that you have the receipt, and the TA doesn't admit to changing it. Sometimes an email to the right person or department helps, but there are so many departments that it's not easy to know which one will pay attention. Maybe an email with a copy of the invoice.

I did sent several receipts and emails copy to her corporate office.  Still nothing.  They sent a message that stand behind their franchises and they are sure she will fix the issue 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kwhear435 said:

I did sent several receipts and emails copy to her corporate office.  Still nothing.  They sent a message that stand behind their franchises and they are sure she will fix the issue 

That sounds somewhat encouraging. 👍

"Franchises"...sounds like a large TA.  Too bad that you cannot name them on here.  If you are on Facebook, you can certainly spread the word to stay clear of them.  I am not an advocate for bashing publicly, but if the issue is not resolved, I certainly would get the word out there!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kwhear435 said:

So you've got a person who replied to you. That's a start. Keep asking them WHEN will she fix the issue. Ask who can go over her head and fix the issue if she can't/won't.

Maybe forward the message from corporate to the agent with a message like "They say you will correct this, so please take care of it promptly." 

• Like 3

On 1/22/2024 at 12:30 PM, Rinderoo said:

…Nothing should ever be done to a cruise reservation that has been booked without client consent….

Years ago, I was price shopping and was very surprised to find that a big box agency had put a booking on hold without my consent. I only found out when I called the next agency on my short list to check their price and perks, and they said, “we see you have a booking already!” I was not amused….

54 minutes ago, Nattyg1723 said:

As a last resort, maybe try contacting Christopher Elliott, the travel advocate? Seems like something up his alley.

Elliott.org

I was also going to suggest that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, syesmar said:

Years ago, I was price shopping and was very surprised to find that a big box agency had put a booking on hold without my consent. I only found out when I called the next agency on my short list to check their price and perks, and they said, “we see you have a booking already!” I was not amused….

Agencies do this all the time to hold a price. It falls out with no deposit after hold expires. 

2 hours ago, kwhear435 said:

You’re giving the agent enough time already.

Per Elliott.org : Brett Swofford , Senior Guest Relations Manager. Holland America.

Ph 907 2788040

bswofford@hollandamerica.com

Edited by 1ANGELCAT
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, regnig said:

@kwhear435 Any new information? We'd love this story to have a happy ending.

No.  We’ve talked to Holland America more and found out the rooms we paid for VB are gone.  We will probably be in an obstructed view.   We have sent a Federal Maritime Commission Dispute form in and have contacted Elliott.org that was suggested on here.   They have had us send them more paperwork to look at.  I’m doubtful anything will happen before we go.  But will continue to fight it even when we get back.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was afraid the cabins would be gone so close to sailing.

You've had a significant downgrade and are owed a refund from the travel agency, so if nothing else, fight for that. Report them to the Better Business Bureau, even if/when you get your money back. Travel agents on here can comment on this, but what about reporting them to CLIA?

• Like 2