Late Boarding Time

DDeeBee75

I  am very sceptical about the excuse of the terminal will get over crowded as I still haven't seen any evidence of it. ie the chairs full. Has anybody else?

And it doesn't explain why the outside queues are used for the smaller ships, where overcrowding is not a problem. 

It is easily solved - enhance the app so you can preselect your boarding time, just as Princess do. 

Edited by Cathygh
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I  am very sceptical about the excuse of the terminal will get over crowded as I still haven't seen any evidence of it. ie the chairs full. Has anybody else?

And it doesn't explain why the outside queues are used for the smaller ships, where overcrowding is not a problem. 

It is easily solved - enhance the app so you can preselect your boarding time, just as Princess do. 

Same with RC. Select your boarding time window, ours was 2.00-2.30, minimal queue, free refreshments and free magazines. With P&O, queue in the car, queue to get in the shed. Sit on the plastic chair, no refreshments available. Do as your told...once on the ship all is well with the world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

Even Ventura, Azura cruises chairs were full upon entering. How many people pre select a time and can not adhere to it? So others miss out....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

You have studiously avoided any references to all of the other cruise lines using Southampton whose crews manage to start embarkation much earlier, without any noticeable problems, and who do not require any passenger to wait outside in all weathers, and seem able to check most passengers in and get them on board in 15-20 minutes max.

I dread to think what City Terminal could be like with Icon Of The Seas if it ever comes to Southampton. 

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

The problem is as Molechip explained, overcrowding.  The terminals have safe capacity for 2000 people. Big ship can hold 6000, so you must control entry to terminal. So can't let those too early in.

If that were only true!! 

However from reports the upper floor seating area is never used. If they monitored that correctly they could keep a steady flow of passengers most of the time, and only at very busy times, as when the coaches arrive, would there be a need for queueing outside 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, laslomas said:

There are many people who are not actually infirm, disabled, or in a wheelchair, that struggle to stand around for long periods. I didn't realise this until it finally hit me as I got older. I do not use a stick, or any mobility aid, but as the years go by I find many things a problem that never were a few years ago. I would not turn up early and expect to jump the queue, but I know that if I arrived on time and there was a hold up for any reason I would really struggle to be standing around more than 20 minutes, or so. 

Exactly!

When as a young man you are playing football, you cannot imagine later in life not being able to even kick a ball at all without your right knee feeling like it has fallen apart, taking weeks befor the pain subsides!

Also when you are fit and young you think you will live for ever! It is impossible to believe that later on in life you may find yourself unable to stand on the same spot for more than about 5 minutes, or to walk for more than 10 minutes or so, because bits of you start aching so badly. I am not disabled - just 80.

Every new place you visit you never pass a toilet without serious internal debate!

You avoid like the plague getting into situations where a waiting/some walking required at a pace not chosen by you/no toilets situation might arise!

One such situation is arriving too early for embarkation at the P&O Mayflower terminal after a 200 mile car journey during which you know that if you are seriously late (closure of any of the M25/M3/M27/M271 due to a crash will do it) you will not only miss your holiday but also have the several thousands of pounds you paid forfeited. We therefore often have to find ways to kill time before driving into Dock Gate 10, but even then tend to arrive early in case of long car queues at the dockside, which we have experienced.

I have found that I can relieve the hip pain caused by standing still for more than a short time by bending over to touch my toes (I am lucky enough to be still able to do this!) and staying there, so I frequently pretend to be retying my shoe laces (I have to remember not to wear slip-ons on these occasions!).

The longer I am down there, the longer the period of pain relief gained for when standing back up again, so if you see a man bent double in the queue, apparently interminably trying and failing to make a bow, please don't offer to do it for him, just leave him to it - it's only me!

• Like 4

On 1/24/2024 at 10:56 PM, david63 said:

I have said this before and I will say it again.

90% of the arrival time problems could be cured if P&O, like other cruise lines, allowed passengers on a first come basis to choose their own arrival times to suit their travel arrangements. Currently there is nothing factored in with the allotted arrival times for those travelling by coach which effectively means that some (or in some cases many) passengers have two arrival times one of which is unused and thus depriving others of that time.

This is so so true.  We had priority boarding of 11.45am for Iona for the NYE cruise because we had a mini suite , never able to use it because we were arriving by the coach that got in at  approx 2.30pm. 

At least I will give Royal and Princess a thumbs up with that regard because in their app when checking in online you select an arrival time . Seems the fairest way of doing it , check in online early get an early time slot . 

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 1

I honestly can’t see how being able to book your embarkation time would change anything. It would just mean the people  who can log in the quickest can get on early to avoid spending anything on food or drinks while waiting in Southampton. There will still be people arriving early even if they pick their own time. I have just printed my boarding pass there was no embarkation time just a time to arrive at the terminal they are trying to make it simple for us old folks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cuatbar58 said:

I honestly can’t see how being able to book your embarkation time would change anything. It would just mean the people  who can log in the quickest can get on early to avoid spending anything on food or drinks while waiting in Southampton. There will still be people arriving early even if they pick their own time. I have just printed my boarding pass there was no embarkation time just a time to arrive at the terminal they are trying to make it simple for us old folks.

Not everyone wants an early boarding time. If travelling on the day, a time of 3 or 4 pm may suit many. They could choose a time that they know they can arrive at comfortably, freeing up some earlier slots that are given to people that cannot get there in time. It really does seem to work on Celebrity.

• Like 1

I honestly can’t see how being able to book your embarkation time would change anything

It would mean that those arriving by coach would not be allocated times that they would not use thus freeing up time slots for others.

It would just mean the people  who can log in the quickest can get on early

No - it would mean that those who book early get first choice and those who leave booking until late have what is left - just as with cabins.

I am sorry that I seemed to have lost track of this thread. I thought the main subject was about people arriving early and being made to wait outside. We are all given an arrival time so no need to get in early to book a time. We are still at the mercy of the roads and public transport so will still have people arriving at the wrong time.

i can’t help thinking the people who can’t wait to get on are the same people who put towels on beds at 6am.

i hope nobody thinks of charging us extra for an early embarkation.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cuatbar58 said:

I am sorry that I seemed to have lost track of this thread. I thought the main subject was about people arriving early and being made to wait outside. We are all given an arrival time so no need to get in early to book a time. We are still at the mercy of the roads and public transport so will still have people arriving at the wrong time.

i can’t help thinking the people who can’t wait to get on are the same people who put towels on beds at 6am.

I never think my holiday has started until I am on board, the US lines seem to comprehend this and go out of their way to ensure passengers have a quick and easy check in experience,  unfortunately P&O don't.

In fact in far too many ways P&O seem to consider that passengers are an annoyance that has to be endured, whereas the US lines go out of their way to ensure their passengers are happy.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cuatbar58 said:

We are effectively already charged for early boarding. Those in higher tiers and suites get priority because we have spent more money with P&O! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cuatbar58 said:

- Or for sunbeds!!!!

• Like 1