Prepaid Gratuities

Hi, when I booked my cruise, I opted for the basic drink package and also opted to pre pay the gratuities. I just want to avoid to have to argue/ask questions when oboard regarding specific situations, so I  have 3 questions for you about when do I pay 20% gratuities :

1. Am wondering if I will need to pay additional gratuities (20%) when I eat at blu, as an example (am in Aquaclass), and have a glass of wine from the basic drink package?  

2. What about if I go in specialty restaurants (pay for my meal) and have a glass of wine from the basic package - will I pay gratuities for my basic wine ?

3. If I buy a more expensive wine (by the glass), I understand they will charge me difference (example 7$ more for a more expensive glass of wine) but do I pay 20% gratuities on the extra 7$ or on lets say on 17$ for the glass of wine? 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

1 minute ago, gold1953 said:

#3 you pay the extra plus grats on specialty dining

You mean the 20% gratuity is payable on the $7 excess for the fancy wine (total payable $8.40)?  I guess the upshot is that the OP is not liable for additional gratuities for any glasses of wine consumed anywhere on the ship as long as the price of the wine fits within the basic drink package.

• Like 1

Your beverage package works wherever you go.  No extra anywhere, unless your drink goes above your package limit price per drink.  If you enjoy your service in Blu, an additional gratuity is entirely up to you, but not required.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Niavlys Ruofud said:

Hi, when I booked my cruise, I opted for the basic drink package and also opted to pre pay the gratuities. I just want to avoid to have to argue/ask questions when oboard regarding specific situations, so I  have 3 questions for you about when do I pay 20% gratuities :

1. Am wondering if I will need to pay additional gratuities (20%) when I eat at blu, as an example (am in Aquaclass), and have a glass of wine from the basic drink package?  

no

2. What about if I go in specialty restaurants (pay for my meal) and have a glass of wine from the basic package - will I pay gratuities for my basic wine !

no

1 hour ago, Niavlys Ruofud said:

3. If I buy a more expensive wine (by the glass), I understand they will charge me difference (example 7$ more for a more expensive glass of wine) but do I pay 20% gratuities on the extra 7$ or on lets say on 17$ for the glass of wine? 

only on the extra.  If it’s $7 extra you would pay $7 plus $1.40

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Your beverage package works wherever you go.  No extra anywhere, unless your drink goes above your package limit price per drink.  If you enjoy your service in Blu, an additional gratuity is entirely up to you, but not required.

Blu is not considered specialty dining.

Does the drink package cover room service?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Room service is totally separate.  You get charged the delivery fee of around 10 per order, except if you order a continental breakfast, that is no additional charge.  Drink package does not include drinks ordered thru room service, you will be full price for those

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

I didn't say that Blu was Specialty.  Just said if they liked the service, it would be up to them whether or not to give something extra.  And no, does not cover drinks thru room service.   

Edited by Hawkstar33
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, d9704011 said:

You mean the 20% gratuity is payable on the $7 excess for the fancy wine (total payable $8.40)?  I guess the upshot is that the OP is not liable for additional gratuities for any glasses of wine consumed anywhere on the ship as long as the price of the wine fits within the basic drink package.

Correct

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Niavlys Ruofud said:

2. What about if I go in specialty restaurants (pay for my meal) and have a glass of wine from the basic package - will I pay gratuities for my basic wine ?

anywhere on the ship if your drink is included in your package there are no extra grats.

If your drink is over the limit you pay the difference plus 20% gratuity on the difference. your example was an extra $7 so plus 20%  = $8.40. 

• Like 1