Auto train

Hello.  Maybe someone has done this need some advice. I want to take the auto in 3 weeks from VA to FL. Train gets in around 10:00 in the morning the day before my cruise. Should i drive to Fort Lauderdale that morning after getting of train a 3.5 hour drive or spend the night  on way to Fort Lauderdale get up the next morning and drive hotels are much cheaper north of Fort Lauderdale. Thank in advance for you help.

I have taken the train both ways. The train arrives in Sanford in Central Florida.  I would spend the night closer to Ft. Lauderdale. As you mentioned, there are plenty of places to stop. I would consider anywhere from West Palm Beach to Ft. Lauderdale. Less to worry about being closer to the port.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Before you book auto train suggest you run the numbers.  Friend just took it and said never again due to cost.  Flying would have been much cheaper.

Flying and renting a car is cheaper than the auto train, but for those who don’t like flying… it’s better than driving the full distance.

We use the Auto Train from time to time.  We like it a lot.  HOWEVER, even when upgrading to a room or roomette; I don't always sleep great (late night in the bar doesn't help).  And sometimes even the 45 minute ride to get to my house takes every bit of energy I can muster.  😂

I agree with others.  If you are coming in a day early, I would try to chop away at as much of the drive as you can to make sure the next morning is an easy and relaxing experience. 

• Like 1

This may also depend on the day of the week your cruise leaves. Take into account how busy roads may be the mourning of your cruise. Also, since you will have a car to park, you may wish to check out stay/park/cruise options were you could leave the car at the hotel for less than parking at the port. 

I've taken Auto-Train many times. In roomettes (small private compartments), bedrooms (larger, with en-suite toilets and shower), and in coach.  I like it.

Typically, the A-T arrives Sanford (near Orlando) about 10 in the morning. Allow 40 minutes to get your car. Sometimes longer.  It will be a little before noon when you are settled and on the road. Every fast food place in the world has a location near the terminal.

If you are a light sleeper, you should know that the locomotives and their horns are on the south end of the train, just ahead of the coaches. Every cow crossing in the Carolinas and Georgia gets a four blast salute as the train passes. Every one. Sleeping car passengers are farther back, and don't hear that racket. Northbound, the sleepers are up front.

• Like 1

The Auto train is great...and fun.  

Once I rolled off the train, I'd continue driving down 95 and stop in the much more reasonably priced hotels in Port St. Lucie (or anywhere nearby)....enjoy some great seafood for dinner.....get to bed early and then the next morning get up and drive to Port Everglades......

My Auto Train ride from Lorton to Sanford arrived over 17 hours late. First a freight train ahead of us derailed and blocked both tracks. Once that was fixed we proceeded further but then the train crew timed-out so we had to wait for a replacement crew. Then that crew timed-out eventually too and we had to await a 3rd crew. The train itself was fun and since we were in a sleeper, we had plenty of room and were well-fed. I'm sure this is highly unusual but if you arrive a day late, you're driving directly to the port on the day of sailing.

I'd recommend you just fly down on an airline that has more than one daily flight. Save the Auto Train adventure for when you don't have to be somewhere at a particular time.

• Like 1

Once off of the Auto Train in Sanford I would hop in my car and drive the four hours down to Fort Lauderdale. Check into a hotel, have a nice dinner and get to bed early. Wake up on embarkation day refreshed and ready for your cruise.

Typically, the A-T arrives Sanford (near Orlando) about 10 in the morning. Allow 40 minutes to get your car. Sometimes longer.  It will be a little before noon when you are settled and on the road. Every fast food place in the world has a location near the terminal.

In Sanford?? near the station?? Not in my experience ....  

image.thumb.png.2dab8277183150f196ffd9b19c1198c0.png

19 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

In Sanford?? near the station?? Not in my experience ....  

image.thumb.png.2dab8277183150f196ffd9b19c1198c0.png

Have eaten at the McDonalds and Burger King near the Sanford Station