Another Live from the Oosterdam? 1/29-2/20

IMG_9222.thumb.jpeg.72ecb90ec29bd3abfecd065a52d4ac5f.jpegSecond lecture today.  Frozen Expressions:  Unveiling the Artistic History of Antarctica IMG_9054.thumb.jpeg.6de9c517aa992b220dff8f7d0394a660.jpegThere was some beautiful art projected but she appeared to be reading from her computer most of the time.  

Edited by 0106
  • Like 4

You answered a question earlier about walking to Recoleta from the ship. I would say it's about an hour walking from the Cruise Port to the cemetery. It's a hot walk. Highly recommend a cab.

Your current location.... passed a whole load of fishing vessels.

Screenshot_20240204_001659_MarineTraffic.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NorbertsNiece said:

You answered a question earlier about walking to Recoleta from the ship. I would say it's about an hour walking from the Cruise Port to the cemetery. It's a hot walk. Highly recommend a cab.

After hearing many stories from people on board about being over charged by cab drivers, I recommend Uber or a similar app.  As I stated earlier,  our Uber for a 15 minute ride from Palmero to the port cost $2.86.  I have met people onboard who paid anywhere between $40 and $120 for a similar ride.  I like Uber because I see the cost prior to getting in the vehicle and it cannot be changed by the driver.

@NorbertsNiece I appreciate the maps.  I learned in today’s lecture that there was a zone created to regulate foreign fishing vessels which extends approximately 150 nautical miles from the Falkland Islands. The large group of fishing vessels, outside of that zone are probably Chinese boats fishing for squid according to the lecture.

Winds appear to be decreasing.  Hope we can tender to Stanley at 8 as scheduled.  Currently debating what time to get up to try to get tender tickets.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, 0106 said:

There was some beautiful art projected but she appeared to be reading from her computer most of the time.  

This is a pet peeve of mine.......I can read for myself thank you!  I love a good enrichment talk but please, please, narrate....don't read....the topic to us!

I appreciate this "Live From" thread @0106!  We CCers have been very lucky to have several people sharing their Antarctica experiences this winter!

~Nancy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Up early and excited.  Seas are calmer.  Outside decks are open.  Hopeful we are able to go ashore for our private tour with Adventure Falklands (formerly Patrick Watts). Going down to line up for tender tickets about an hour prior to arrival time in the hopes of getting on one of the first tenders.IMG_9226.thumb.jpeg.9040bd680618825401b8e61db28d92aa.jpeg

• Like 4

Cruisemapper shows you in position to make it into the protected harbor . It's cold and a high wind chill today . I left my jacket in the 4x4 the last time and wished that I had taken it ! Best wishes that you have a great visit there , we did !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 0106 said:

After hearing many stories from people on board about being over charged by cab drivers, I recommend Uber or a similar app.  As I stated earlier,  our Uber for a 15 minute ride from Palmero to the port cost $2.86.  I have met people onboard who paid anywhere between $40 and $120 for a similar ride.  I like Uber because I see the cost prior to getting in the vehicle and it cannot be changed by the driver.

I made a huge mistake with Uber. I put Quintella Benito Martin as the address. Should have put Quintella Benito Martin Passenger Terminal. Driver spoke no English. Took us to a place a few miles in the opposite direction. Used Translate to get it straightened out. He was a bit grumpy, but had a big smile when I gave him a $20 tip

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, billco said:

I made a huge mistake with Uber. I put Quintella Benito Martin as the address. Should have put Quintella Benito Martin Passenger Terminal. Driver spoke no English. Took us to a place a few miles in the opposite direction. Used Translate to get it straightened out. He was a bit grumpy, but had a big smile when I gave him a $20 tip

Whoops. Meant Benito Quinquella Martin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

Up early and excited.  Seas are calmer.  Outside decks are open.  Hopeful we are able to go ashore for our private tour with Adventure Falklands (formerly Patrick Watts). Going down to line up for tender tickets about an hour prior to arrival time in the hopes of getting on one of the first tenders.IMG_9226.thumb.jpeg.9040bd680618825401b8e61db28d92aa.jpeg

Was there any priority for tender tickets such as suites, CO or star level?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Was there any priority for tender tickets such as suites, CO or star level?

Yes

40 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

I have a question for some of you guys that have been sailing on this ship. Has anyone noticed if there is karaoke in any of the lounges?

I have never seen karaoke on a HAL ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am so happy we made it to Stanley and I would highly recommend going to Volunteer Point. I have hundreds of pictures but here are the King penguins and a juvenile.IMG_9289.thumb.jpeg.3a70020adedf85469073187dba225fb5.jpeg

Here is a gentoo juvenile and an adult who followed me around.IMG_9305.thumb.jpeg.049a9aadea0c236c2205dce819363e7f.jpeg

IMG_9315.thumb.jpeg.943495c5a9a9aed230fb3b21882725d7.jpeg

All photos cites were taken with my iPhone and unedited.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

On 2/1/2024 at 4:44 AM, 0106 said:

We have a private transfer to the Santiago airport with a tour of Valparaiso & Vino del Mar,

So glad you made it to the Falklands!!  Volunteer point was a highlight of our trip.

Also, just a heads up for your Valparaiso & Vino del Mar tour—there are very severe wildfires in that area right now—a truly tragic situation:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/03/world/americas/wildfires-chile-valparaiso.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

I am so happy we made it to Stanley and I would highly recommend going to Volunteer Point. I have hundreds of pictures but here are the King penguins and a juvenile.

YIPPEE - you made it 🙂 

Lucky, lucky you.  It’s a port that is missed more than seen.  I’m so happy for you and great pics (as usual).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

I am so happy we made it to Stanley and I would highly recommend going to Volunteer Point. I have hundreds of pictures but here are the King penguins and a juvenile.IMG_9289.thumb.jpeg.3a70020adedf85469073187dba225fb5.jpeg

Here is a gentoo juvenile and an adult who followed me around.IMG_9305.thumb.jpeg.049a9aadea0c236c2205dce819363e7f.jpeg

IMG_9315.thumb.jpeg.943495c5a9a9aed230fb3b21882725d7.jpeg

All photos cites were taken with my iPhone and unedited.

YAY - you made it!! The pictures are great. Your "stalker" is adorable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm so glad you made it to my favourite port. You're on your way south now for the most amazing few days. I will do my best to track your journey as the further south you go the poorer the signal. I am extremely jealous

Screenshot_20240204_224008_MarineTraffic.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NorbertsNiece said:

I'm so glad you made it to my favourite port. You're on your way south now for the most amazing few days. I will do my best to track your journey as the further south you go the poorer the signal. I am extremely jealous

Screenshot_20240204_224008_MarineTraffic.jpg

Thanks for doing these. I know it helps @0106, but as a follower it really helps me stay oriented with their posts. 😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A bit more information about yesterday.  The Viking ship cancelled the port because of the winds.  The islanders were not expecting us.  Our wonderful captain got us ashore.  There were 55 knot winds when the tenders returned to the ship.

I highly recommend Adventure Falklands (formerly Patrick Watts company).  Our driver was a 5th generation Falklander and extremely interesting and informative.  Our Land Rover drove in a convoy with 4 other vehicles.  It was a 2 hour drive but not as rough as I expected.  Driving over the peat bog was an adventure in itself.  Our driver said that the gravel road would reach Volunteer Point within the next 5 years making for a smoother drive.

The paved roadIMG_9249.thumb.jpeg.42894af3c527d8c86959a31f48233f7e.jpeg

The farm where we made a brief stop prior to beginning the cross country portion of the journey.IMG_9250.thumb.jpeg.27290e03b4e26ab1b03a2d02e81ab357.jpeg

The peat bogIMG_9255.thumb.jpeg.5170d19e37da715338805dd5a29a4382.jpeg

The beach at Volunteer PointIMG_9302.thumb.jpeg.4db5d899e3311d43b0dd2d82fb7bf596.jpeg

The king penguins posingIMG_9277.thumb.jpeg.594d2c86b4f1d74fb2ceca1b35bfb110.jpeg

A few more gentoosIMG_9312.thumb.jpeg.caaf7f0fcd879dfce3a380dcbe3e1a86.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just came from the Captains Antarctica talk.  We are heading toward Deception Island.  It will be a bit rough.  We will enter the Arctic region at about 11pm.  Looking forward to seeing icebergs and whales.  We will next head to Hope Bay with a colony of 200,000 chin strap penguins.  

• Like 8

I just listened to a very interesting lecture: Key Moments in the Scientific Discovery of Antarctica- When There Were Trees.  He was an excellent speaker.IMG_9055.thumb.jpeg.06b7f4aba63df3ba90a8293edb00ba51.jpeg

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I just came from the Captains Antarctica talk.  We are heading toward Deception Island.  It will be a bit rough.  We will enter the Arctic region at about 11pm.  Looking forward to seeing icebergs and whales.  We will next head to Hope Bay with a colony of 200,000 chin strap penguins.  

Deception Island is so interesting and scenic due to its volcanic nature. And the chinstrap penguins are incredible!  

• Like 5