Hotel Recommendation for Quebec City

Turk1

Taking 11 day cruise on Emerald Princess in July. Leaving from Quebec City. Planning on flying in a couple of days early and looking for hotel recommendations.

We stayed at the Hilton and were very pleased.    It is a big place but has great views of the old town and just a 1 block walk to a gate through the wall. 

4 hours ago, Turk1 said:

Taking 11 day cruise on Emerald Princess in July. Leaving from Quebec City. Planning on flying in a couple of days early and looking for hotel recommendations.

Whenever someone asks this question on here an odd exercise will begin to try and convince you to stay anywhere but the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac. It can be expensive and the hotel is older (but recently refreshed) but there is no place to stay more central and it literally is the symbol of the city. If your budget allows its a fantastic place to stay and explore QC. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the input. That one is definitely at the top of our list. Is it easy to get around (walking) from there? Wife doesn't like a lot of hills and stairs if we can avoid them.

15 minutes ago, Turk1 said:

Thanks for the input. That one is definitely at the top of our list. Is it easy to get around (walking) from there? Wife doesn't like a lot of hills and stairs if we can avoid them.

As you probably already know from the roll call for this cruise, I recommend Hotel le Priori in Quebec's lower town (my wife wouldnrather stay in the upper town!).  Chateau Frontenac is a great (fairly expensive) location also; it is pretty much impossible to avoid hills and stairs in Quebec City unless you choose to limit your sightseeing and/or use the funicular.  My personal preference is lower town but everybody has their own opinions.... for sure you'll be much closer to the cruise terminal there if that is a concern.

Edited by d9704011

45 minutes ago, Turk1 said:

Is it easy to get around (walking) from there? Wife doesn't like a lot of hills and stairs if we can avoid them

Hills are unavoidable but the Chateau Frontenac is at the top of the Funicular, on Terrace Dufferin, which will take you down to (and back up from) the lower town. The Funicular will allow you to avoid the steepest walks. 

• Like 1

We loved our room at Auberge Place d' Armes. Had a beautiful view right across from the Chateau Frontenac. An amazing location for our pre cruise stay.

Not sure about its proximity to the port, etc., but my husband and I had an absolutely delightful stay at the Hotel du Vieux-Quebec about 10 years ago (and reviews suggest it hasn't declined a bit).  It's in the upper town on a great street walkable to all of the sights of Old Quebec.  I strongly suggest you book directly with the hotel - they have a lovely breakfast in a basket option with French pastries from the legendary bakery up the street.  Warm and friendly staff will assist you and you can chill out in the comfy lounge.

On 1/30/2024 at 2:53 PM, princeton123211 said:

Hills are unavoidable but the Chateau Frontenac is at the top of the Funicular, on Terrace Dufferin, which will take you down to (and back up from) the lower town. The Funicular will allow you to avoid the steepest walks. 

Is the funicular free of charge or how do you get the tickets?

Just now, Turk1 said:

Thanks. So, one way (up or down) for 2 people would be $10.00? USD?

You'll be in Canada.  The local currency is Canadian dollars.  If you want to hand the operator USD, go ahead, but don't expect to get any change back.

Thanks. So, right now $10 CN would be around $7.50 US. Round trip would then be about $15.00 for 2. Already planning to take Canadian currency with us.,

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 10:48 PM, Ashland said:

We loved our room at Auberge Place d' Armes. Had a beautiful view right across from the Chateau Frontenac. An amazing location for our pre cruise stay.

My husband and I will be staying at Auberge Place d'Armes two nights pre-cruise this October.  What are your sightseeing, dining, etc., recommendations? We are fit seventy-somethings. TIA for your input.

7 hours ago, RealJewell said:

My husband and I will be staying at Auberge Place d'Armes two nights pre-cruise this October.  What are your sightseeing, dining, etc., recommendations? We are fit seventy-somethings. TIA for your input.

Many choices.  Tour of the Citadelle, walk around Plains of Abraham (including boardwal), either walk or take funicular from Dufferin Terrace to Lower Town, see Chateau Frontenac, Quebec Legislature and area.

https://www.lacitadelle.qc.ca/en/informations/schedule-and-fees.html

If you're an Inspector Gamache fan, try this:

https://www.gamacheseries.com/bury-your-dead-real-place/

Edited by d9704011

8 hours ago, RealJewell said:

My sister and I will be in Quebec in October as well. We are coming in two days earlier. The city looks like such a walkable town that we are just going to do our own thing and just sightsee. We already scoped out some restaurants we want to try. We are staying at the Auburge Saint Pierre. 

8 hours ago, Denise T said:

My sister and I will be in Quebec in October as well. We are coming in two days earlier. The city looks like such a walkable town that we are just going to do our own thing and just sightsee. We already scoped out some restaurants we want to try. We are staying at the Auburge Saint Pierre. 

Very walkable and very beautiful.   You really don't need an excursion.  However, I would recommend the 2 hour walking tour of the old town which we booked through Tours Voir Quebec / Immersion Quebec.  It was a great walking tour with a guide and then you can go back on your own and explore.  I was under the impression this was a private tour company, but you start at the city visitor center and you check in inside the tourist center, so this is somewhat of the "official" tour I think.  In any event it was very nice and reasonably priced.   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another vote for Hotel du Vieux-Quebec. We stayed there ten years ago, and again this past fall. Just delightful. If you decide to stay there, book directly through the hotel to get their morning croissant basket.

Fairmont Chateau Frontenac is amazing. Even better if you can get off season rates which are more affordable. If you're not staying there, consider a drink in the bar or breakfast.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to Quebec Oct. 15, just booked my cruise and cannot get in the Hotel du Vieux, my fav place.  I've stayed there 3 times but it does get busy. 

I'm going to stay at Hotel Champlain, lower town this time.  Many hotels are booked up.  It also was a challenge to find one not wanting partial or complete payment.  I didn't want to go away from the old town area or to a big chain hotel, not my thing.  

I've been to the Frontenac for a tour and drinks, nice to visit, would not stay there.