Why such a lousy upgrade offer ?

DW and i are booked on the Horizon for May of 2024 we are both Platinum guest. We are booked on an inside cabin on deck 7 in the middle. Middle of the hall not near elevator or stair cases. I have received 2 upgrade offers from Carnival. Both offers where for Ocean View cabins at an upgrade price of $428.00 for a deck 1 back room room 428 or Deck 1 ocean view room 122. Now i understand i would be moving to Ocean View but both of these locations (1 over the props and the other at water line) seem less desirable to me then what i have for the price. Much lower cost maybe. Anyone think this is a Good Offer ?

Not all upgrades are necessarily an "upgrade" imo, they just want your room so they can sell it again for more. The only "upgrade" I would argue here is that it's a higher (better) cabin category, but not a better location.

• Like 11

43 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

DW and i are booked on the Horizon for May of 2024 we are both Platinum guest. We are booked on an inside cabin on deck 7 in the middle. Middle of the hall not near elevator or stair cases. I have received 2 upgrade offers from Carnival. Both offers where for Ocean View cabins at an upgrade price of $428.00 for a deck 1 back room room 428 or Deck 1 ocean view room 122. Now i understand i would be moving to Ocean View but both of these locations (1 over the props and the other at water line) seem less desirable to me then what i have for the price. Much lower cost maybe. Anyone think this is a Good Offer ?

We are on Horizon in April. My offer was move to a deck 4 Oceanview from lido deck inside for an upcharge. I don't remember how much. I already paid extra to be on lido deck.  We were in a deck 4 Oceanview on a 6 day on Paradise but I paid less than $500 for the entire cruise for the wife and I. The Horizon I paid full price.but still about $400 less than it is now.

I've been getting crap upgrade offers like that for the past few cruises.  Just because it has a window or a balcony definitely does NOT make it an upgrade!

I have a Lido interior on Vista and just got offered an ocean view down in the bowels of the ship for a $400 charge.  NO THANKS!

We cruise Sunday on the Pride, and had an inside on deck 8 booked. I was worried because I wasn’t thinking when I booked and it’s right under pool area, so I was worried about the noise when they move chairs. I Got a call yesterday for an extended balcony on deck 8 for $300. I took it! 

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, bg2310 said:

Not all upgrades are necessarily an "upgrade" imo, they just want your room so they can sell it again for more. The only "upgrade" I would argue here is that it's a higher (better) cabin category, but not a better location.

I think it is more load balancing trying to optimize revenue which is similar, but different. 🙂

14 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

We cruise Sunday on the Pride, and had an inside on deck 8 booked. I was worried because I wasn’t thinking when I booked and it’s right under pool area, so I was worried about the noise when they move chairs. I Got a call yesterday for an extended balcony on deck 8 for $300. I took it! 

Now that seems like a good upgrade. Same deck and move to balcony for $300. Congrats thats what i am looking for

13 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

I've said this before, an Oceanview becomes an interior at night time.  And at the location they're offering, wouldn't take that offer for free, let alone $400.

Oceanview rooms are often a little bigger, with a sofa. So that does make up some of the price difference as well.

• Like 1

I love deck 1/2 staterooms, although they can be noisy and have a lot of vibration depending on location. But there's very little traffic in the hallways and it's easy to get to the gangway on port days. You are dependent on elevators but that's not a huge deal.

That said I personally wouldn't pay more to stay down there.

12 hours ago, freewilly said:

We always book interior and get same lame offers. I guess they think  folks want a window . Not interested in being on deck 1 or 2. Pass.

Ya being on decks 1 and 2 have not been enjoyable. early on we booked a deck 2 forward cabin and the water against the hull was a never again moment for us.

12 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Most Carnival upgrade offers are lousy. I’ve only accepted one in 27 cruises. They just made me a similar offer to yours. I’d never accept it.

IMG_9046.thumb.jpeg.4b41e87dec9816db8db665a916dca7f0.jpeg

Glad i am not alone in my bad upgrade offers

37 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Oceanview rooms are often a little bigger, with a sofa. So that does make up some of the price difference as well.

They are actually significantly bigger. There's more interior room in an OV than any cabin on the ship shirt of a suite.

• Like 3

We were on deck 2 on Horizon, no noise complaints at all, and as @mz-s said, the ease of getting to and from the gangway on port days was super convenient.  I wouldn't hesitate to book a lower deck.

Adding though, no, I wouldn't take the upgrade offer for that price.  I probably really have to put some thought into if I'd even take a balcony at that price though.

Edited by StephPS79
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Frank12 said:

I've been getting crap upgrade offers like that for the past few cruises.  Just because it has a window or a balcony definitely does NOT make it an upgrade!

Agreed!  I also don't consider a higher deck an upgrade but Carnival tries to sell it as if it is.  I've seen upgrades offered where passengers would go from a cabin sandwiched between cabin decks to a room right under Lido (that would be a huge downgrade to me but I'm a light sleeper).

I love NCLs process for selling upgrades (a bidding process) - I wish Carnival would switch to something like that.

Edited by csm5986142
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I actually chuckle when the computer tries to pry a porthole out of my hands.

Same here!  A larger cabin with a window(s) plus $$ to move to a smaller interior?  Do they think I am stupid?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Most Carnival upgrade offers are lousy. I’ve only accepted one in 27 cruises. They just made me a similar offer to yours. I’d never accept it.

Well, I don't know about "most" offers, but I'm certainly not going to complain about the one I received last month. We were booked in a standard inside cabin for our 10-night Christmas cruise on Venezia, and 3 days before the trip I received a phone call with an upgrade offer to a "terrazza" cabin on deck 6 with an absolutely enormous wrap-around balcony at the rear of the ship.  And we enjoyed the terrazza benefits even more than the upgraded cabin and balcony itself. In fact, being able to relax and enjoy a relatively private continental breakfast each morning far from the madding crowd in the cordoned-off area of the Carnevale Bar & Lounge area at the rear of deck 5 was almost worth the $250pp upgrade charge itself.

• Like 2

We selected a balcony on deck 5 to be closer to the water on an Alaskan cruise on Spirit to have a better chance of seeing whales.  We could have chosen any of the higher decks for no additional charge when we booked this room.  The starting price of $510.00 that they are offering is for the same standard balcony, NOT an extended balcony

image.png.a51cf4a139a1f3f81e8b536cb5db2305.png

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers

7 hours ago, mz-s said:

7 hours ago, jsglow said:

They are actually significantly bigger. There's more interior room in an OV than any cabin on the ship shirt of a suite.

This really depends on the ship.  Carnival Spirit class staterooms are almost ALL 185 square feet (interior, oceanview or balcony or extended balcony (4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4K, 6A, 7A, 8A, 8B, 8C, 8D, 8E, 8F, 8J, 8K, 8M, 8N)   Also, almost all rooms include a sofa.  There are a few miscellaneous rooms within these categories that vary slightly in size or shape, but not many. You would have upgrade to a suite, deluxe room, or handicap room (230 sq ft 9A, 9B - 245 sq ft VS - 275 sq ft JS, OS - 300 sq ft GS) to see an increase in room size on this class ship.

Spirit-Class - Stateroom Dimensions (goccl.com)

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mz-s said:

I love deck 1/2 staterooms, although they can be noisy and have a lot of vibration depending on location. But there's very little traffic in the hallways and it's easy to get to the gangway on port days. You are dependent on elevators but that's not a huge deal.

That said I personally wouldn't pay more to stay down there.

Yes i would just book this level initially not pay up for it as an Upgrade. The cost their asking also seem extreme even if you get a few more square feet.